Cool Help brakes keep replacing

Hello every one I need some help on brakes I keep needing to replace my brakes and rotors every 6 - 7 thousand miles the first time it needed to be done was 1 / 20 / 04 at 13299 and the second time it need to be done was later that yr 9 /17 / 04 at 19137 and I justdrive the car on wkend now and the car has 27,000 and was told I need to replace all 4 rotors and brakes again back in 04 it was covered under warranty and now they want me to pay over a thousand for now brakes and rotors they are telling my that these parts go bad when i car sits to long, however this car does not really sit to long I just dont drive it, this is my baby and it is treated like a show car

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TA421 View Post
    Hello every one I need some help on brakes I keep needing to replace my brakes and rotors every 6 - 7 thousand miles the first time it needed to be done was 1 / 20 / 04 at 13299 and the second time it need to be done was later that yr 9 /17 / 04 at 19137 and I justdrive the car on wkend now and the car has 27,000 and was told I need to replace all 4 rotors and brakes again back in 04 it was covered under warranty and now they want me to pay over a thousand for now brakes and rotors they are telling my that these parts go bad when i car sits to long, however this car does not really sit to long I just dont drive it, this is my baby and it is treated like a show car
    who is telling you to replace them??? take a wheel off and get some pictures of it... rotors don't need to be replace every 6-7k... brake pads i can see... but not the rotors unless you have a habbit of breaking really hard at high speeds...

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

A thousand dollar brake job!!! Wow must be some good brakes JK go some place else if you cant do it your self

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You can turn your rotors or shave them down a bit. Localy i pay 2 bucks per rotor, makes them as good as new just a bit thinner.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

they told me if they cut them there will be nothing left of them I dont get it first it was a dealer so i went to another dealer just to see and they told me the same thing ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

how the hell are you driving? at our caddy dealership a 4 wheel brake job isnt even 1g. there is no way they are going out that fast for regular driving, i just did my first brake job on mine and i turned the rotors myself and put som pads on it. i am at 80k miles and that is with power braking at the strip

Factory OEM rotors were 450 a set ? I did not really belive I needed brakes and rotors but was checked for someone else and told I need to replace brakes and rotors Dealer said I would need to do it because I dont drive the car ?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Factory OEM rotors were 450 a set ? I did not really belive I needed brakes and rotors but was checked for someone else and told I need to replace brakes and rotors Dealer said I would need to do it because I dont drive the car ?
    Unless the car is sitting outside over a bed of salt, there is no way you should need a complete brake job every 6K - 7K miles, thats ridiculous.

There will be some minor surface rust on the rotors from sitting, but as soon as you drive the car for a few miles, the rust is easily removed from the brake pads making contact with the rotors. The rust from sitting for short periods shouldn't nearly be bad enough to require replacement of anything.

Check the brakes yourself, all you need is a jack and a lug wrench/19mm socket. Take a pic, post it up, and we can tell you if anything needs to be replaced from what we can see.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

they told me if they cut them there will be nothing left of them I dont get it first it was a dealer so i went to another dealer just to see and they told me the same thing ?
    who is they?!? please don't go to them any more because "they" are idiots unless you drive 140mph and lick up your brakes daily...

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    who is they?!? please don't go to them any more because "they" are idiots unless you drive 140mph and lick up your brakes daily...
    How about if he kisses them instead of licks them?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree, something here isn't right. What is the car doing to begin with that makes you take it in for service?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I was wondering the same about mine, my car since 98 has ate up 6 front rotors till 2002(Gm VIS) I know the PO and he has changed them twice, I changed all of them once and after 20k they are getting bad again. Eh, tube front end soon and all new crap. That should cure it.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

I have a set of 4 brake rotors, 4 brake pads that were removed from my 2001 Z28 @ 3K original miles, I will sell them to you for $350 including shipping in the U.S. If you are interested e mail me at gurrzt@hotmail.com

Second, my vehicle is a garage queen, I drive less than 3K a year, and my existing brakes have been installed now for 7 years, and they have normal wear. HAVING THE VEHICLE SIT DOES NOT PUT WEAR ON THE BRAKES.

You should look into a locally owned ma & pa shop to do your brake job, they will do a better job, because they need your business and referal to survive, the dealer does not.

SteveC

will the Silver Zinc coated rotors be a better choice and NOT RUST or does the coating come off in the first 1000 miles or so and then rust ? how long does the coating last ?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

will the Silver Zinc coated rotors be a better choice and NOT RUST or does the coating come off in the first 1000 miles or so and then rust ? how long does the coating last ?
    why are you worried aobut rust on the rotors??? it comes off the first time you brake and doesn't hurt anything... who are you taking your car to?!?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The zinc will come off as soon as you brake. The only place it protects is the non wear surfaces of the rotor. I would find a new shop. The only reason to replace rotors are for excessive runout, warped, or to thin to turn. I don't think that the little amount of driving you do causes any of this. I would ask friends or family who they use to work on their cars and use them if they are satisfied.

Hey there I was told that the car sitting was not the best for the rotors and brakes When the Rotor rust bad enough that they will grind the pads down like sand paper and that what they are saying so i was thinking of using a Silver Zinc coated rotors but was wondering how deep the coating is or does it wear off in the first 1000 miles or so or does the coating on them last a lot longer ? I dont drive the car that much as you can tell by the miles on the car and want the car to last , if this becomes a money pit on small things with the way everything is going in the world I might have to sell Her and I really dont want that to happen

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Hey there I was told that the car sitting was not the best for the rotors and brakes When the Rotor rust bad enough that they will grind the pads down like sand paper and that what they are saying so i was thinking of using a Silver Zinc coated rotors but was wondering how deep the coating is or does it wear off in the first 1000 miles or so or does the coating on them last a lot longer ? I dont drive the car that much as you can tell by the miles on the car and want the car to last , if this becomes a money pit on small things with the way everything is going in the world I might have to sell Her and I really dont want that to happen
    brake pads are cheap...

forget about the rotors... rust comes right off... it will wear a very little on the pad... if you are that worried take the time for 1 time a week to move the car and brake so that the rust comes off the rotors... hell... they can even rust over night depending on the weather... it's really nothing to worry about at all...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they will actually show some rust in a matter of minutes after you wash it. Like these guys have said, don't worry about the rust. I hope that's not why they're telling you to replace them......that's borderline criminal if it is. Does the car sit outside or inside? I just can't see enough rust building up to cause any type of problem. It should all just be surface rust. I can take a picture of my truck's brakes sometime to show you what real rust looks like. It sits outside all the time and when it gets driven it usually ends up in mud somewhere. I've had to do brakes once since I've owned it and it has 119k.

Thread Information