Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Help with Brakes

I'm having an issue with the breaks on my 2001 Silverado and not sure what it may be.

When I press down on my breaks at lower speeds, right before stopping, my brakes stop working and actually resist back against my foot, if I pump the brakes they will work fine. Also, they make an odd grinding sound before the break pedal pushes back (not a metal on metal sound) and seem to for a split second dim down all my electrical.

It's sporadic and I did change my pads recently (this made no difference) and it's not charecteristical of air in the break line. I'm not sure if it may be the break booster or what it may be, I've never seen anything like this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    I'm having an issue with the breaks on my 2001 Silverado and not sure what it may be.

When I press down on my breaks at lower speeds, right before stopping, my brakes stop working and actually resist back against my foot, if I pump the brakes they will work fine. Also, they make an odd grinding sound before the break pedal pushes back (not a metal on metal sound) and seem to for a split second dim down all my electrical.

It's sporadic and I did change my pads recently (this made no difference) and it's not charecteristical of air in the break line. I'm not sure if it may be the break booster or what it may be, I've never seen anything like this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Its the front ABS wheels speed sensors. GM has a TSB out on those trucks for this exact issue. What happens is dirt builds up between the sensor and the hub, causing an incorrect reading on the ABS sensor. So whenever you try and come to a completr stop, the ABS kicks in.

I'll see if I can find the TSB with the resolution to the issue, I do know its a cheap fix and does NOT involve replacing the hubs. New hubs will not fix the issue.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its the front ABS wheels speed sensors. GM has a TSB out on those trucks for this exact issue. What happens is dirt builds up between the sensor and the hub, causing an incorrect reading on the ABS sensor. So whenever you try and come to a completr stop, the ABS kicks in.

I'll see if I can find the TSB with the resolution to the issue, I do know its a cheap fix and does NOT involve replacing the hubs. New hubs will not fix the issue.

Thanks, I was wondering if it may have been something in the ABS. I really appreciate the info and any additional info you have.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

add. info... its BRAKES not breaks...

i had to

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Thanks, I was wondering if it may have been something in the ABS. I really appreciate the info and any additional info you have.
    I can't access AllData or Shopkey right now, but from what I read you have to pull the wheel speed sensors and brackets out, and clean off all the corrosion and rust, then reassemble everything. If that doesn't fix it, you may have to clearance the sensor with the reluctor wheel to spec.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

I can't access AllData or Shopkey right now, but from what I read you have to pull the wheel speed sensors and brackets out, and clean off all the corrosion and rust, then reassemble everything. If that doesn't fix it, you may have to clearance the sensor with the reluctor wheel to spec.
    Will do, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. The funny thing is I actually took the truck in for this recall about a year and half ago but the truck wasn't having any issues back then. I dug up the recall info and this definately seems to match the problems I'm having (not happy with my local dealership).

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, I'd say the dealership probably didn't touch it.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, I'd say the dealership probably didn't touch it.
    Probably a safe bet but I'm going down there to have them re-check/ fix it and going to b*tch at them if they try to charge me for it. I called their service shop and the guy on the phone was clueless. Tempted to just do it myself but it's still kind of cold out so they might as well do the dang job right.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, it would be no big deal to do it yourself but it's the principle of it I think.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, it would be no big deal to do it yourself but it's the principle of it I think.
    I agree on the principle and my garage is already full, I'm in the process of swaping engines on my brother in law's Blazer and then I have to swap transmissions on my Grand Am.

To be honest between those projects, it being cold outside and my normal job I don't have any desire to do it myself if I don't have to

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    add. info... its BRAKES not breaks...

i had to

That's funny, I can't even blame that on spell check

Long week (Yes I do know it's only Tuesday).

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Probably a safe bet but I'm going down there to have them re-check/ fix it and going to b*tch at them if they try to charge me for it. I called their service shop and the guy on the phone was clueless. Tempted to just do it myself but it's still kind of cold out so they might as well do the dang job right.
    Are you sure its a recall?? Last I checked it was a TSB, meaning the repairs aren't covered for free. Like I said though, there are no parts involved, just the labor to clean up the wheel speed sensors and brackets.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Are you sure its a recall?? Last I checked it was a TSB, meaning the repairs aren't covered for free. Like I said though, there are no parts involved, just the labor to clean up the wheel speed sensors and brackets.
    This is the recall info I found and had done, is this not the same thing?

Campaign Number: 05V379000 Date: 2005-Aug-29

Component: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock

Defect Summary: CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY.

Consequence Summary: THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY RUST INHIBITOR TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE RECALL BEGAN SEPTEMBER 22, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

This is the recall info I found and had done, is this not the same thing?

Campaign Number: 05V379000 Date: 2005-Aug-29

Component: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock

Defect Summary: CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY.

Consequence Summary: THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY RUST INHIBITOR TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE RECALL BEGAN SEPTEMBER 22, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

Yep, thats it

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Yep, thats it
    Cool, thanks, I really appreciate the info and advice.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Cool, thanks, I really appreciate the info and advice.
    No prob.

wow. this thread have lots of info. I have the same problem too with my Ford F150. Thanks TS for bringing this up. I will not make another thread.
    Truck routine check up:
    = 2006 Ford F150 =
    1. Check truck parts.
    2. General Cleaning.
    3. Say I love you before going in.
    I really do the 3rd part.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

You can also use Castrol Super Clean in full strength and soak the area behind the hubs with it and let it set for 5-10 minutes. Do this at a car wash and use the high pressure and get the nozzle close and just blast that crap out. I did it to my 95 Z28 and never had to do it again.

How can you complain about something that was done 1 1/2 years ago, and cost you nothing? If the recall was done, and lasted this long you're on your own with the problem. it's like saying I didn't have worn tires last year, but I do now. things wear out and break, that's life.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ten5TireRacer View Post
    How can you complain about something that was done 1 1/2 years ago, and cost you nothing? If the recall was done, and lasted this long you're on your own with the problem. it's like saying I didn't have worn tires last year, but I do now. things wear out and break, that's life.
    Well the dealer is supposed to apply rust inhibitor to prevent further corrosion issues, so I'd say he has a right to complain. The issue should have been resolved the first time, wheel speed sensors are not a typical maintenance item.

Thread Information