Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    02 ws6

help with brakes

I put brembo blank rotors on and hawk hp plus pads a few weeks ago. So heres my problem at first the screamed (like metal on metal) alot for a week or so, then was down to a minimum for a week, and now they are worse than ever. When changing the pads the pad with the wear scraper or w.e its called was on the unseen side of the rotor, so i put the new ones on the side you can see. i dont see how that could effect anything but....... I also put the liquid brake stuff on the pads but maybe not enough or in the wrong place?

does anybody have any advice?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you mean you put brake lubricant on the back sides of the pads and on the slide pins...not actually on the face of the pads.

maybe take them off and do a visual inspection to see if there is any foreign material in there somewhere or if something is hanging up. while it's apart might as well clean the pads and rotors with some brake clean and relube the backs of the pads and the slide pins again. maybe that will help out.

also just looking on hawks website it does say that these are carbon-metallic pads and...

"Warning! Due to the dramatic friction levels produced by this product to achieve "race-level" braking, rotor wear, noise, dust, and pad life may be affected."

it's saying right there that these pads will make more noise than a standard set of semi-metallic...or in the case of the f-body ceramic pads. if i'm not mistaken carbon-metallic pads work better at higher temps. this may just be something you'll have to live with and it may not get any better.

black
    02 ws6

I only put brake lubricant on the backside of the pads, not the slide pins because i dont even know what those are. are they the thin metal shim type things? two on each brake. and i really hope its not the pads itself causing the noise cause i spent a bundle on those and will have to get rid of them.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by BLAUPLOW View Post
    I only put brake lubricant on the backside of the pads, not the slide pins because i dont even know what those are. are they the thin metal shim type things? two on each brake. and i really hope its not the pads itself causing the noise cause i spent a bundle on those and will have to get rid of them.
    good example of why you should check things over good after you buy a used car.

black
    02 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    good example of why you should check things over good after you buy a used car.
    whats that have to do with anything?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

slide pins...the caliper pins. the caliper moves a bit during normal operation and anything that compromises that can cause noise and premature wear or failure of the pads or rotors.

black
    02 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    slide pins...the caliper pins. the caliper moves a bit during normal operation and anything that compromises that can cause noise and premature wear or failure of the pads or rotors.
    so pulling out the slide pins, cleaning them and re lubing with brake lubricant could help?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

so pulling out the slide pins, cleaning them and re lubing with brake lubricant could help?
    possibly. but like i said. if you take it down that far it's not much more to take the pads off relube them and spray the rotors off and inspect everything. but yeah...relube the backs of the pads and the pins. it could help...but carbon-metallic pads are noisier than semi-metallic or ceramic pads. just the nature of the beast.

black
    02 vette vert

whats that have to do with anything?
    do-it yourselfers working on safety related components not knowing how to do it properly creating potentially dangerous equipment malfunctions. at least youre here and asking for help, most arent.

black
    02 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    do-it yourselfers working on safety related components not knowing how to do it properly creating potentially dangerous equipment malfunctions. at least youre here and asking for help, most arent.

I followed several sets of instructions and the instructions out of a haynes manual and not a single one said to lube the pins. this is why i love forums for times like this. i havnt had time to relube the pins, however while having someone press and depress the brake pedal i could see the brake caliber pressing in and then depressing out freely so i am guessing its not the pins? I also went out and did some hard breaking and afterwards the noise went to a minimum during and after.....

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

I followed several sets of instructions and the instructions out of a haynes manual and not a single one said to lube the pins. this is why i love forums for times like this. i havnt had time to relube the pins, however while having someone press and depress the brake pedal i could see the brake caliber pressing in and then depressing out freely so i am guessing its not the pins? I also went out and did some hard breaking and afterwards the noise went to a minimum during and after.....
    yeah you did a lot of hard braking in a short amount of time i take it and the noise quieted down. that would be normal and expected for carbon-metallics. the hotter they get the better they work and quieter they operate. that's why they are used in formula race cars and the like and why they are a more popular product for autocross rather than everyday driving.

black
    02 ws6

that makes sense, thanks for all your help.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Did you clean the new rotors on both sides and the pads with Brakleen? It sounds like your pads are slipping due to contamination. I would take them off, brakleen and lightly sand both the rotors and the pads.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    Did you clean the new rotors on both sides and the pads with Brakleen? It sounds like your pads are slipping due to contamination. I would take them off, brakleen and lightly sand both the rotors and the pads.
    Good point, that is critical.

Most rotors are shipped with a light coat of oil to prevent rust. You MUST clean them off thoroughly with brake clean before installation. Otherwise you'll have oil all over your pads.

black
    02 ws6

i did clean the rotors with brake cleeaner, went through 4 cans. I also did a propper bed in after they were installed and went easy on them for the first 200 miles. Could the noise simply be there because they are knew with only 600 miles on them? Im also thinking that there is a rock stuck in one of the pads due to a groove in one of the rotors. I wont be able to attempt any of the relubing and cleaning/sanding till this weekend due to the shitty autoshop at my school. and for the sanding does any wood type sand paper work?
    Last edited by BLAUPLOW; 04-13-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

yeah just use a finer grit sandpaper or emry coth...800 grit would work just fine.

new brakes take a little bit to get worn in but after a day or so of city driving they are what they are going to be.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

The anti rattle clips aren't rubbing on the rotor are they? Ive seen old clips that get stretched out/ bent out of place and contact the rotor slightly. If you had any trouble removing the old pads/ putting the new ones in, you could have caused a clip to slide over. that would also explain the slight groove in the rotor.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

yea on my t/a the clips got bent and were touching the rotor...very annoying. How loud is it? You could always do a few runs around the block to warm them up lol.

i have drilled and slotted rotors. I love them.

black
    02 ws6

well i took apart the brake with the scored rotor, cleaned, sanded, and re greased. the noise is still there, and only when i press the brakes at the right pressure. I am now guessing its the however after further research i found out the the pad with the indicator is supposed to on the inside on the front, i did the opposite, could be the problem?. My assumption now is that the clips that hold the pads in placed are scraping the rotor. would it be a bad idea to grind a little off?
    Last edited by BLAUPLOW; 04-18-2009 at 08:40 PM.

black
    02 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Th3unwant3d1 View Post
    yea on my t/a the clips got bent and were touching the rotor...very annoying. How loud is it? You could always do a few runs around the block to warm them up lol.

i have drilled and slotted rotors. I love them.
    its LOUD, and VERY annoying. it makes me not even want to drive the car with the windows down so people cant see me.

Thread Information