Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Help, big wiring question

Ok, I think I finally figured out how to add steering wheel radio controls.

I have four wires, ground, power, illumination, and radio. I need to run four new wires for them.

I know where to run the radio wire, radio block pin 14.

Black is ground, where can I run a ground wire under the dash?
    Yellow is power, where can I run a ground wire under the dash?
    Grey is illumination, how do I tap into the illumination stuff?

Here is the big question, where do I run these three wires, ground, power, and illumination? This is new non-GM all my own custom mess. There is no chance of me getting a new harness because I am convinced only the radio wire goes to the radio. the other three go some where and why I an confident I can't get a junk yard harness. It would be like gutting the whole inside dash.

thanks

kool-aide

The grey/black is power in from the fuse block for illumination, you can tap it from the fuse panel or headlight switch output to the radio.
    Yellow is power in to control functions of the buttons, again you can get it from the panel with a key in run or accy power.
    Black is ground and can go anywhere there is a ground.
    Dark blue goes to the radio connector c3 terminal 14 to control input.

Sorry, my last post didnt make it?
    Fuses 3 & 13 should be blank in the fuse panel on the side of the dash? They should have 1 terminal in each that you can add fuses to (both 1 amp) and make your own output to the steering wheel controls? These are the factory fuse positions so it should work for you?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ok, i have never run wires in a car before. How do you tap into the fuse block? I am guessing you mean the one inside the car.

ok just read your post, um, hmm, ok, well uh...Any fuse wiring for dummies instructions there? thanks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

so i think you are saying use 3 for power and 13 for illumination or something like that? I'm going outside to stare at my car. Maybe a moment of clarity will come to me through devine intervention.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ok so 3 and 13 are open and are the strg wheel controls. Since they are open how do you create new fuse terminals? I finally got my fuse panel out where I could look at the back side. Some how I need to figure out how to add two brand new fuse terminals. I have no clue how to do this or where I am going, other than down hill fast.

Help....gulp gulp gulp...drowning fast.

I noticed each fuse terminal has a small wire on the left and a bigger wire on the right. If viewing from the backside like you stuck your head in your dash. cuz mine is sure stuck some where.

so i need to find the terminal hardware. I need to figure out where each wire goes. I would guess the small wire is the one i'm trying to wire to my controls. The bigger wire must be the one that goes some where in the car. In my example 3 and 13 must both go to power since they are providing power. Big question, where in the world do I add two new power wires, correctly and safely?

Adding steering wheel controls post GM build has turned out to be a life mission of pain, ugh...i shall not give up.

thanks

kool-aide

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

from the front there should be a terminal in one side of the box. You can use a male spade connector to slide right in to the box. just put your fuse shortly after.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well i think what i am looking for is the female spade connector. the male would be the fuse. I have been searching for a few hours trying to find one. All I get is stuff about fuse tapping. I feel the need to add two new fuses, not fuse tapping.

I need to find the female fuse terminal parts.
    I need to figure out where in the heck they wire to on the constant power side should go. The fused side will got to my steering column connector.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ok, i'm tired and getting real lazy, so here comes a nice dump question.

What kind of fuses did GM use, MAXI, ATO, ATC, Mini Blah Blah, etc... I know its not ATM, glass, and ceramic. And yes I know they are blade style. But when you start looking up companies that make fuses, fuseboxes, connectors, etc. You get a couple of different kinds of blade style fuses.

thanks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

this looks promising, look for HHS ATC Holder
    Self-stripping crimp-type connector holder for up to 30 amps, accepts #12 to #18 leads.

it looks like an in-line type of fuse link.

http://www.bussmann.com/6/BladeFusesandAccessories.html

I would still prefer to find the female fuse connector clip things and added the # & 13 in like it was factory.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I think it is atc, or ato not sure which they are called. to find out what connector is used you might have to pop one out of the fuse box to see what it looks like.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

that would work.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

maybe. I was thinking of trying to call Bussmann, Keystone Electronics, or Waytek. They all seem to make stuff for blade fuses.

If you ever look at one, the inside looks like a duck bill style clip versus a flat peice of metal with the ends curled in, like you normally see with speaker wire connectors.

The back side is a crimp style, round.

The interesting thin is all of the existing connectors seem to be one peice, custom made for that fusebox. One side looks like it holds 14 awg wire the other looks like 18 awg wire, just guessing, but one side is noticably larger than the other.

An option I'm willing to live with is one of thos Bussmann HHC ATC Holder. I would still need to figure out where in the car a wires go for power. The fuse is the minor issue here, frustrating, but minor.

The real head scratch is where do I send the wire for power? I know lots of home car stereo junkies like to run straight of the battery post, yikes. But when I think about it. What jumper block or terminal block plays home to all the power wires?

I mean the pos side of the eletrical system has to go some where and then break out into all those pretty colors of red, orange, pink and yellow power wires.

You can provide power to the controls from anywhere you can access it? I figured you would want it to be as close to factory as possible that's why I told you what fuse positions to use. You can use an accessory fuse holder, or like what has been suggested and use a terminal on one blade of the fuse? You can use the fuse holder plugged into each open cavity and they you'll still utilize most of the factory wiring.
    I think we've given you way too many options now? Pick whatever you're most comfortable doing and try that.
    What are you trying to wire with constant power besides the steering wheel controls?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think i am dense. i believe you are suggesting cutting into an existing wire, hmm. Well I was really hoping to find the power breakout terminal block that splits the power into all those pretty colors.

i think if there is enough room maybe i could splice into the radio power line. I'm just worried about bare wires in such close quarters. I could try and make two jumper wires off of it. I have shrink tubing. maybe i can pull the fuse clip out without busting it.

i am running two power lines, radio controls and control illumination. I guess the ground can go to any metal part or cut into and existing ground line.

man GM sure made it PINA to add radio controls to a camaro. But I'm having fun.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well i am done

i added to this thread on how i made out on adding steering wheel radio controls and a new fuse box circuit thingy

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70006

it was a ton of fun, even in the freeze FL winter weather.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

oh, and thanks to all and all that helped, it was smooth sailing once i got the parts

Glad it all worked out for you. Be glad you're not up here in New Jersey trying to do anything outside!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hah...i've been to Detroit, Jersey, Indiana, N Carolina, all during the bleak cold and snow, no thank you.

Thread Information