Help! Best pick? LS1 ,LS2 or the LS6 swap?

This is a discussion on Help! Best pick? LS1 ,LS2 or the LS6 swap? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi guys, Here is my dilemma: I have a JEEP Wrangler (YJ) and I am swapping a LSX motor in ...

Primer
    1971 RS Camaro

Question Help! Best pick? LS1 ,LS2 or the LS6 swap?

Hi guys,
    Here is my dilemma:

I have a JEEP Wrangler (YJ) and I am swapping a LSX motor in it. The motor I will pick will remain stock, no mods to the engine except a tune on the ECU.

In the shop I can choose from :

1-A brand new crate LS1 ( No accessories , harness or ECU included in the deal). roughly 1700$

2-A 2003 Z06 LS6 with 50k miles, complete with harness(was swapped in a
    S10 Xtreme so I dont know if the harness can be easily converted to my Jeep)with a flashed ECU, flywheel, starter, accessories just no manifolds (was in a Z06) Price: 2500$

3-A 2007 trailblazer SS LS2 with 7k miles. Complete with accessories ,DBW TB and manifolds. (NO harness, NO electronic pedal,NO ECU included). I can deal with the big truck intake and oil pan since Its going in a Jeep.
    Price 2600$

So in your opinion which one represents the best SWAP for my Wrangler, my wrangler is a DD on 33 in tires and 4 10 gears its going to be MANUAL.

Just tell me why I should go with one or the other, Im very open and I have the three motors in the shop , I just need to make my choice and pick one and I would like to make the right choice obviously....

Thanks
    Peter
    Last edited by besserspat; 07-09-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I would either take the ls6 or ls2. The ls2 has lower miles - which is a draw. I guess it would really come down to how much it would take to get either to work with your Jeep. I'm not really sure how difficult it would be for either one, but I guess I'd choose the LS2 - based on the mileage and cost.

Primer
    1971 RS Camaro

The most it would take to get the LS2 running in my jeep is about 1300$ for a complete Wiring harness from current performance or similar, that includes the pedal, fuse boxes ,the ECU flashed to my specs and a custom plug n play harness.

The rest is very similar in between the three engines , Im used a adapter bellhousing, the Jeep's fuel injection system is being modified to supply ample pressure and flow for the LSX motor.

So the biggest pricing difference comes down to wiring, sensors, ecu and engine selling price.

The LS2 at 2600$ sounds like a bargain , but a 2500$ complete LS6 or a NEW crate LS1 doesnt sound too shabby either.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there's no replacement for displacement........

I know you say it'll stay stock but I'm betting it won't. It's almost impossible not to mod these engines and they respond so well to mods it almost makes sense to do it. The LS2 will be a far better base to work with. They also breath really well in the upper RPM's.

Primer
    1971 RS Camaro

I admit that when I see what guys are squeezing out of LS2 with L92 heads, intake and a mild cam its unreal...

I guess Ill start to worry about the transmission integrity now...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's no replacement for displacement........

I know you say it'll stay stock but I'm betting it won't. It's almost impossible not to mod these engines and they respond so well to mods it almost makes sense to do it. The LS2 will be a far better base to work with. They also breath really well in the upper RPM's.
    +1. Pretty much the same as what I was thinking.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by besserspat View Post
    I admit that when I see what guys are squeezing out of LS2 with L92 heads, intake and a mild cam its unreal...

I guess Ill start to worry about the transmission integrity now...
    pretty easy to get sucked in. Once you feel the power these things make you'll be addicted. You're right too, throw some headers, L92's, cam, and a good tune and it'll drive close to stock. Since you're tuning it anyhow you might as well make it worth it.

Thread Information