Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

help asap overheating

2000 TA started overheating today. I changed the water pump and thermostat less then 3 weeks ago. Had no problems. Noticed yesterday that my radiator hoses were collapsed. Changed the radiator cap today which fixed the hoses but now all the sudden its overheating. I warranty the thermostat changed it again still nothing. Also the water on the resivior stick is cold even when its overheating. I'm stuck at the parts store right now trying to figure it out and I'm out of ideas. Please help

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Was it overheateing before you changed the pump and thermostat? Was it overheating before you changed the cap? Is the hose from the thermostat housing getting hot? Is the hose to the recovery tank getting hot? Does it overhaet under all conditions? Are the fans coming on?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

leave the cap off the radiator and let it idle for a while to purge any air out of the system.

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

It was not overheating before i changed the pump and thermostat, but when i changed it the person prior to me had ripped out the thermostat from the housing. It was not overheating before i changed the cap but the upper and lower hoses were collapsing which is why i changed the cap thinking maybe that is why they were doing that. When i changed the cap they stopped collapsing but that is when it started overheating. The hose from the thermostat housing is getting hot but i did not think to check the hose to the recovery tank. The fans are coming on but i do not know if it overheats while driving cause i was sitting in the parking lot and did not want to drive far in case it did. I tried keeping the cap off to purge air out of the system thinking maybe there was a air pocket or something, but that did not work either. I put a new thermostat in today as well thinking maybe the other new one was bad. It still overheated though. I put the old thermostat in for now which is just the housing no actual thermostat. Any other ideas ? I also flushed the entire system again with no change. I also tried leaving the lower hose off while i ran water through just to make sure the radiator wasn't clogged which it wasn't. I am out of ideas myself. There isn't a bleeder valve anywhere right ? Like i said for now i have the thermostat housing on with no thermostat and it is not overheating, but i have to figure this out.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Is your low coolant light on? id check your low coolant switch and check out your coolant sensors( one on the pump and on drivers side under the Ex. manifold) You can check them by running a ohm test on them. Your manual should have amount of resitance the senors should have.
    Last edited by Adam_94_T/A; 10-10-2009 at 06:30 PM.

black
    2002 WS6

try replacing the lower hose, chances are it is still collapsed on the inside. also make sure collant is circulating thru the heater core.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

The system is supposed to push the coolant into the recovery tank when hot and then draw it back in when the engine cools. If your hoses collapsed I suspect that perhaps the line to the coolant recovery is blocked - that's why I asked about the hose. Let it cool down and fill it, then start it up and wait for the thermostat to open top it off and cap it and shut it off. Check the level in the coolant tank and make sure it as at full hot. Let it cool down and check the coolant tank level again. It should be near full cold.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    The system is supposed to push the coolant into the recovery tank when hot and then draw it back in when the engine cools. If your hoses collapsed I suspect that perhaps the line to the coolant recovery is blocked - that's why I asked about the hose. Let it cool down and fill it, then start it up and wait for the thermostat to open top it off and cap it and shut it off. Check the level in the coolant tank and make sure it as at full hot. Let it cool down and check the coolant tank level again. It should be near full cold.

That's what I think. Try a flush! fill with water. If no leaks or overheating, drain and fill with 50/50 mix.

Black!
    04 Ram

Weird, Has to be clogged somewhere. Have you started car up and looked to see if the fluid is actually moving through the system? Sounds like you have done all the right steps. I would Flush it again. Stay away from 100% water if you can; I distribute radiators all day long...water can do very ugly things quickly...let me know if I can help. If you have no leaks and thermo is OK...must be clogged

spice red
    2006 gto

Sometimes a collapsed radiator hose will indicate a bad head gasket. Could be an air bubble. Drill a small hole in thermostat body. This will let air bleed out past the thermostat and the water will circulate faster and not make hot spots.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Sounds to me like you just have air in the system or not enough fluid.

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

These cooling systems take a while to purge all the air out. Leave the cap off while running and wait it out

Thread Information