Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Question Help Anyone.....Please

ok so I am posting this question again.......need feedba

so SOMETIMES when I get on it you can hear a pop or ping noise coming from just under the center arm rest. It is in conjunction with the wheel hop. It happends when the rear end starts to hook up just a bit and then spins again. I looked at it and couldnt figure it out. I had a shop look at it. Trans is fine, and torque arm is fine so is the bushing mount......guy told me to take some rubber tube and wrap it on the top of the trans. against the top of the tunnel. he thinks the car is torquing so much that the top of the trans is hitting the tunnel. Can the stock Torq arm be flexing that much?? I am lost with this one.... THANKS GUYS!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

no one else has had this problem!?

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

looks like its lose or something,cuse i had a older camaro 94, and it did what u were saying but it was the shaft that was not bolted down . u might want to ck that and see.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

I had the same thing happening with wheel hop.
    Maybe the torque arm is flexing, maybe the torque arm is mashing the bushing, and hitting the bracket.
    It doesn't really matter what it is. You need to prevent the wheel hop.
    I'm going to try a new torque arm bushing,and lower control arm bushings. I'm also working on boxing my LCAs, instead of paying a lot of coin for aftermarket ones. I might even add some bracing to the torque arm to stiffen it up.

red, silver
    97 and 01 vettes

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    I had the same thing happening with wheel hop.
    Maybe the torque arm is flexing, maybe the torque arm is mashing the bushing, and hitting the bracket.
    It doesn't really matter what it is. You need to prevent the wheel hop.
    I might even add some bracing to the torque arm to stiffen it up.
    Now there is a great idea...

Awaiting Activation

black
    2004 gto

sounds like the torque arm....check the bushing around it to see if it needs replaced..

Stroked Slowmaro

Silver
    2000 Z/28

Sounds like the torque arm to me. Time to upgrade.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

How loud and big is the pop/ping? Does it sound like something hitting the body? My initial thought is maybe your front u-joint is going out but that won't sound like something hitting the body. How's your clearance under there for your tunnel brace? The exhaust rides really close to that brace, could that be flopping around enough to hit the brace? If it's your front u-joint I'd get that fixed asap. Best case scenario is the front of the driveshaft comes loose and beats the stuffing out of the underside of your car and exhaust. The worst case is it finds it's way below the tunnel brace and pole vaults the car.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    How loud and big is the pop/ping? Does it sound like something hitting the body? My initial thought is maybe your front u-joint is going out but that won't sound like something hitting the body. How's your clearance under there for your tunnel brace? The exhaust rides really close to that brace, could that be flopping around enough to hit the brace? If it's your front u-joint I'd get that fixed asap. Best case scenario is the front of the driveshaft comes loose and beats the stuffing out of the underside of your car and exhaust. The worst case is it finds it's way below the tunnel brace and pole vaults the car.
    If the U-joint was that bad, there would be a vibration driving down the road.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

na there isnt any at all, just sometimes when i get on it like bam, and not a smoooth exceleration. i am thinking its torquing the shit outta that t.arm and slapping the tunnel

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if it's doing that then something is broken. A mount most likely.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if it's doing that then something is broken. A mount most likely.
    ok so the stock trans mount is two pieces correct? maybe its broke in a way that i jut couldn see. anyway. I saw on a website that they sell a new tranny mount bushing. Anywhere i can get both the bushing and a new holding mount that screws into the tranny?? is the stock t.a. adequate?? doesnt the stock trans bushing holder have rivits that have to be drilled out?? this is why i was looking for a whole unit type of thing(bushing and mount) thx

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

i had this same problem when i first bought my car. it was the torque arm

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

the whole torque arm or did you just replace the bushing?

When I had this banging problem it was the transmission tailshaft mount that was broken.

The stock rubber mount has a ton of flex built in for noise/vibration reasons, and eventually they do split from the torque arm pulling up on it. You most likely cannot see it while the trans is resting on the mount. You will have to remove it to check.

A eurothane mount will stop this issue,,,and you can even install a eurothane mount on the torque arm,,,but be prepared for more road noise/rearend noise to be transferred throughout the car. It's just the nature of these torque arm setups.

And yes you will have to drill the rivets on the torque arm mount if you decide to go eurothane on that,,,but the trans mount is the first thing I would check and the easiest to replace as well.

Awaiting Activation

black
    2004 gto

you only need a new mount on the tranny if it is hitting the friveshaft tunnel...if the bushing is bad you only need to replace the bushing....and you will get a metal on metal hitting sound if the bushing is bad..as firebirdjones said go polyurethane,not only is it better it will last alot longer..

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

so whats the easiest way to replace the bushing?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    so whats the easiest way to replace the bushing?
    the tran mount busing? On my A4 z28 there was four botls that hold the cross brace to the body. that brace is heavier than it looks. There are two bolts that hold the tran mount to the transmission. there is one bolt that holds the tran mount to the cross brace.

i know with the prothane tran mount the mount to cross member bolt is a stud bolt you double nut to install and then use a washer, lock washer, and nut combination.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

good luck, hope you find and fix the problem.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i got under there with a flash light, its def. the rear end of the trans. hitting th tunnel, you can see the marks. I should be getting a polyeur. bushing in the mail tomorrow. Gonna try and put it in this weekend if I have time.

Awaiting Activation

black
    2004 gto

if it is the rearend of the trans its not the torque arm bushing its the trans mount.......you can get that in polyurethane too and in a locking desighn...that way if it goes bad again it dont come up and hit the floor..

Thread Information