red
    02 z28

help shot trans and torque arm mounts/ annoying noise

here is some info about the car before i state the main problem. i have an 02 a4 z28. so about three weeks ago i brought my car in the shop because of spark/ wire problem that had caused a missfire. i told him to listen for this sound i have been hearing but he didnt . so i about a year ago i had work done on my rear, the first shop didnt not install the new differential and axles and pinion right so the pinion had to be adjusted after it had already made wear marks that have created a whine sound now. he also had to recently replace one of the axles and bearing because the bearings ate up the axle. i am starting to slightly hear the bad bearing sound again but im not sure if its the same side or if its the other side that hasnt been replaced yet.

so recently my car has started to make a clunking sounds as im coming to a stop , seems to get slightly louder when the brakes are applied. also when i go from drive to reverse i hear a clunk and can feel it and from drive to reverse i can feel it as well but when i go from drive to park and park to drive there is no clunking or rough engaging at all.

things i can think of is something with the brakes, trans mount, motor mounts, slip yoke, drive shaft U joints.

the car was making sounds and seemed like it was rough putting into P to R and R to P and D to R so i took this vid underneath the car. is this normal or is there way to much play down there?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZl3FcQHEc[/ame]

in this vid the car keeps to be making a weird like sqeeking/ swirling sound idk if its my driveshaft rubbin on my exhaust because they are literally ontop of each other almost also listen at the very end you can hear it bang hard when i give it a little gas.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlPYAiJTFJI[/ame]

also this seems not right how close my driveshaft and exhaust are

and here is a pic of my trans mount it looks torn

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6c6JU--O6k[/ame]

any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by z28camaross; 05-27-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I will start by checkking the tranny mount. It looks like its torn. you can put a jack underneath the tranny close to the end (make sure you put a piece of wood in between. Jack it up slowly and see if you see the tranny separates from the rubber. that will cause that bang that you hear. Do you feel the clunking sound by the center console? If you do it could your torque arm bushing.

Also check your exhaust for clearance it might be hitting somewhere. The exhaust is kinda close to the DS. If it is hitting/rubbing it the DS will have marks aroungd it. If you see those the I will adjust the clearance for the exhaust. Not too hard just loose all the clamps and work your way around.

if you hear rubbing in your rear end it could be a bad bearing, axle or rear end. The best way is to take the cover out and inspect the differential. Remove the axles and inspect the race area. I had an axle that was ate up as well and it was causing alot of grinding noise.

The rea end bearings can be check for play by lifting the rear wheel up and down but they normally do this when they are really bad.

Is the car a daily driver?

red
    02 z28

Thanks for all the advice man, Yes the car is a daily driver. If my Trans mount is shot what is the best solution? Prothane mount? I just got a set of motor mounts from them , but have yet to put them on yet. I did have a bad bearing before and had it fixed back in November and this doesn't sound like one. This sounds more like a wirling sound and if let off. The gas.then. Press the pedal in with out really accelerating I hear a decent bang sound. And if I accelerate at part throttle. I can feel, Idk Some sort of movement not so much a hard shift as something not tight , also if I'm going About 25 mph with my foot completely off the gas I can hear the swirling sound with slight clunking but once I get up to about. 50 it goes away. I just want my car running right and this is putting off my arh header install.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That sound from the second video sounds like something is rubbing on the drive shaft. Also, wow that is a tight fit with the exhaust. I'm wondering if it rubs when you have ppl inside vs no one in the car, like it is just barely touching the shaft.

Another thing to look at is the where the Torque Arm meets the tail shaft of the tranny. If that is loose or the rubber clam shell mount is as worn as the tranny bushing you will hear/feel noises as you drive.

Do you feel any slipping or not sure how to word this...it taking longer move, what I'm trying to say does it feel like the stall converter going out?

red
    02 z28

yeah it def sounds like something is rubbing as the drive shaft spins but yeah where the U joint is in the back to the pinion is like maybe a few sheets of paper space between them its very close! i should def check the torque arm at the tranny though because a month ago i had to tighten the bolts attached to the rear they were so loose that the torque arm could move up and down about an inch. i couldnt believe it, idk if the shop forgot to tighten them when they rebuilt the rear or what.

but im not sure if the stall converter is going out or not it seems fine, i have 68k miles on the car and im not sure how long stock converters last i was thinking about upgrading it soon anyway but im not sure how high to go on a bolton only car, maybe 3200?

all i know is it makes the sound only when im coming to a stop or going a stead 25 mph 35+ its gone. and also when accelorating hard i notice a very slight jerk like the trans moves a little.
    Last edited by z28camaross; 05-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.

red
    2002 ss camaro

I had a similar sound but it was the tailshaft on tranny right before tranny went out allowing drive shaft to move and rub on floor board! Don't know if that helps?

pewter
    2000 b4c ls6 Camaro

I had the same thing happen to me last summer. The tranny mountwas make the same sound yours was and my drive shaft was rubbing on the exhaust pipe. I just went to a exhaust shop and they fixed it for free.

red
    02 z28

so i crawled under the car today and here are some pics i took the drive shaft has a tiny big play to move but im not sure if thats normal or not. anyway here are the pics.

here is my tranny mount looks in pretty rough shape to me, what should i do as a replacement for this prothane mount is that best option?

here is my torque arm bushing i couldnt tell if anything was wrong with this or not it looks split in half to me but there is alot of grease at the end of it for some reason on the other side

and hear is where my drive shaft is hitting my exhaust you can see the wear marks on the exhaust. best option i guess would be to take it to a shop and get it adjusted? how much would that most likely cost?

black
    2002 TA

your trans mount and torque arm bushings are shot. theyre both split. replace both of them. put in the poly bushings

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i will replace the TQ arm bushing with poly. The trans mount I replaced before and it created alot of vibration because it changes the ddrive shaft angle. I know there is a write up on how fix this with the stocker TQ arm but i never tried it. I bought OEM tranny mount.

I was told the tranny mount from 93-97 fits in our vehicles and its available almost everywhere.

The exhaust if you can't adjusted then yes take it to a muffler shop. They can adjust that for you.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

While you are under there be sure to check the rear mounting holes/bolts on the torque arm....(speaking from experience):

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    While you are under there be sure to check the rear mounting holes/bolts on the torque arm....(speaking from experience):
    Click for full size
    Ouch!

red
    02 z28

alright thanks for the help guys. ill def be ordering new polly mount and TQ arm bushing, any certain brand to go with? and ouch thats rough... about a month ago my rear mounting bolts were about an a half inch loose i could not believe it i could just spin the nut tighter.. i checked them when i took those pics as well they are still tight.

and also im concerned about the vibrations from the polly trans mount,i guess i should look into it before i perchase one.
    Last edited by z28camaross; 05-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.

red
    02 z28

alright thanks for the help guys. ill def be ordering new polly mount and TQ arm bushing, any certain brand to go with? and ouch thats rough... about a month ago my rear mounting bolts were about an a half inch loose i could not believe it i could just spin the nut tighter.. i checked them when i took those pics as well they are still tight.

also i am concerned about the vibrations from the polly trans mount any info on this guys?

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

Im sorry i just love the title of this thread.. ass noise..
    2001 B4C Totaled 4/25/11
    2000 Z28 M6 Cammed N' Slammed (SVT KLR)

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by z28camaross View Post
    also i am concerned about the vibrations from the polly trans mount any info on this guys?
    I noticed little to no difference in chassis vibration when I switched to poly trans mount just firmer feeling. I think I might feel a little more vibration in the stick itself but it doesn't have any play in it under acceleration or decelleration (less slop), feels more like a new car, tight.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    I noticed little to no difference in chassis vibration when I switched to poly trans mount just firmer feeling. I think I might feel a little more vibration in the stick itself but it doesn't have any play in it under acceleration or decelleration (less slop), feels more like a new woman, tight.
    fixed....sorry...had to.....

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    "feels more like a new woman, tight."
    fixed....sorry...had to.....
    my girlfriend has enough issues with me spending time with/working on my car, if I start comparing my TA to a tight woman I might be sleeping on the couch, lol

Thread Information