Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Heard this site is very hepful..new guy.

This is a discussion on Heard this site is very hepful..new guy. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SMWS6TA DHHHAAAAAMMMMMM!!!! That firebird was raping the track.... That is so wrong and soooo right beating guys ...

  1. #21
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    DHHHAAAAAMMMMMM!!!! That firebird was raping the track....


    That is so wrong and soooo right beating guys that are half way down the track when you launch and still beat 'em.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  2. #22
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    simply put ...with enough money you can make anything fast. 4 banger, sixer or a v8...doesnt matter. when F/I involved you can throw displacement and cylinders out the window..nothing against those who F/I ....but a 12,11,10 second 6 banger that is F/I isnt that impressive to me imho..now a 12,11,10 six banger N/A would blow my mind.....this is all my opinion

    with that being said it comes down to what you like and how much you want to spend. I personally ..love v8s ...there are 4 bangers and sixers that can beat me...but it doesnt matter quite as much because i still have a v8 and one of the best engine platforms ever made. it has nice torque and hp and a good sound. So decide what you want. with enough money you can make anything fast just remember that.

  3. #23
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    simply put ...with enough money you can make anything fast. 4 banger, sixer or a v8...doesnt matter. when F/I involved you can throw displacement and cylinders out the window..nothing against those who F/I ....but a 12,11,10 second 6 banger that is F/I isnt that impressive to me imho..now a 12,11,10 six banger N/A would blow my mind.....this is all my opinion

    with that being said it comes down to what you like and how much you want to spend. I personally ..love v8s ...there are 4 bangers and sixers that can beat me...but it doesnt matter quite as much because i still have a v8 and one of the best engine platforms ever made. it has nice torque and hp and a good sound. So decide what you want. with enough money you can make anything fast just remember that.
    True in some cases.. In the GM v6 there are so many cross ref. parts tho.. The after market is growing larger every so many months/yrs too.. I like v6's not so much for the abillity to beat a v8, tho that is nice too.. But more for the uniqueness of such builds.. Many of the v6 crowd run one-off inductions, custom cams, even one-off headers and pipes.. Tons of new combinations out there too.. The 660 crowd is constantly trying new combos out.. Everything from custom heads, pistons, cams, computers. Swaping out parts from across 30 yrs to come up with engines/drive trains unique as the hybrid 3.4L/3500 and my current TT project.. Though our after market is growing (660), it is still not up to the aftermarket of the v8 and other brands of v6's. So guys like myself and others experiment with what we've got and can get. If you've ever been smoked by a fully built 660, just think "fully built" for that engine includes lots of stock parts... Gm was @ least good enough to throw us a bone on good internals to start with and a very well balanced engine.. The 3800 is a class of it's own. Strong after market parts, and wheel stands can be had with it.. Thanks again Buick guys!! But the days of the iron 90*v6 are numbered.. They are currently being replaced with the more efficiant 660 in new models and some of the more traditional name plates like Camaro..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.

  4. #24
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    The Buick 231 cu. in. 3.8L V6 engine has had a production run lasting more than 30 years. Like the small block Chevy V8, this engine has undergone many changes over the years to keep it abreast of changing consumer expectations and emissions regulations.

    The first Buick 3.8L was offered in the 1975 model year Skyhawk, Apollo, Century and Regal. The engine was based on an earlier 198 cu. in. V6 that Buick introduced back in 1962. The 3.8L engine shared the same 3.8” bore size as the Buick 350 V8. It also had an “odd-fire” crankshaft, which produced some idle shake and vibration.

    Over the years various improvements were made to upgrade engine performance. Here are some of those changes:

    1977 — Buick changed to an “even-fire” offset-pin crankshaft to smooth out the V6 engine.

    1978 — Turbocharged version of the 3.8L V6 offered in the Buick Regal and LeSabre.

    1979 — The engine gained some horsepower with improved cylinder heads (larger valves and ports).

    1980 — Larger 4.1L version of 3.8L engine offered with bigger 3.965” pistons.

    1981 — Stronger connecting rods and a revised harmonic balancer and flywheel were added.

    1982 — 180 hp version of the turbocharged 3.8L V6 offered in Regal T-Types and Grand National. Also, a smaller displacement 3.0L version of the 3.8L V6 with a shorter stroke crankshaft was built for GM FWD cars.

    1984 — Direct fire distributorless ignition and electronic multiport fuel injection were added. Also a new camshaft with a larger base circle and 0.015” shorter pushrods were added. This was also the first year for a front-wheel drive (FWD) version of the 3.8L V6.

    1985 — The engine was refitted with a single serpentine belt to drive its accessories. The number of bolts on the oil pan was also increased from 14 to 20 to reduce oil leaks. The head bolts also changed to non-reusable torque-to-yield bolts.

    1986 — The flat tappet lifters were upgraded to roller lifters to reduce internal engine friction, and sequential fuel injection was also added for improved performance, fuel economy and emissions. The deck height of the block was also reduced 0.035” to accommodate thicker composition-style head gaskets. Some FWD versions of the 3.8L V6 (VIN 3) were offered with roller lifters. FWD versions also got new cylinder heads with pedestal-style rocker arms, and a needle bearing thrust washer for the camshaft.

    1988 — Buick now dubbed the engine the 3800. The block casting was revised and a balance shaft added to dampen vibrations. The cast iron camshaft was replaced with a steel camshaft, thinner, low-tension piston rings were added to reduce friction even more, and the mechanical EGR valve was replaced with an electronic digital EGR valve to reduce NOx emissions.

    1989 — Smaller 3300 (3.3L) spin-off of the 3800 introduced.

    1990 — The intake system was upgraded to Tuned Port Injection for more horsepower and torque. Also, a one-piece rear crankshaft oil seal was offered in some 3800 engines to reduce oil leaks.

    Chevrolet begins testing on the computer designed 285hp TDC for production in "W" body only....

    1991 — L67 supercharged version of the 3800 appears. An Eaton blower boosts horsepower to 205.

    Released the ALL Chevrolet 60* 24-valve TDC (Twin Dual Cam) v6 goes into full production with a standard transaxle producing a severly de-tuned 210hp N/A (no need for an Eton).

    1993 — The 3800 V6 got roller rocker arms, a higher compression ratio, and another reduction in piston ring tension to improve fuel economy and performance.

    1994 — Supercharged engine gets larger blower pulley and larger throttle to make more horsepower (225 hp).

    1995 — Series II 3800 introduced with revised, lighter block, cross-bolt main bearing caps, lighter pistons, a higher compression ratio (9.4:1)and shorter steel rods. It also had improved cylinder heads with bigger valves, a composite plastic intake manifold, revised accessory mountings on the engine, dual knock sensors, improved oil seals and a plastic engine cover to muffle noise.

    1996 — Supercharged Series II 3800 gets a bigger supercharger for more boost and power (240 hp).

    2004 — Series III L26 3800 V6 introduced, with electronic throttle control, returnless fuel injection, stronger powder metal connecting rods, and an aluminum upper intake manifold to replace the troublesome plastic intake manifold. Applications include the 2004-’08 Pontiac Grand Prix, 2005-’08 Buick LaCrosse and 2006-’08 Buick Lucerne. An L32 Supercharged Series III 3800 also is introduced, rated at 260 hp in the Pontiac Grand Prix GT and GTP.

    2008 — End of the road for the 3800. Production will cease this year, with the 3800 being retired to the big boneyard in the sky. The engine will be replaced with the naturally aspirated LZ4 3500 OHV V6, or the LY7 3600 DOHC V6 in vehicles that used the supercharged 3800...
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-22-2010 at 11:54 AM.

  5. #25
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    True in some cases.. In the GM v6 there are so many cross ref. parts tho.. The after market is growing larger every so many months/yrs too.. I like v6's not so much for the abillity to beat a v8, tho that is nice too.. But more for the uniqueness of such builds.. Many of the v6 crowd run one-off inductions, custom cams, even one-off headers and pipes.. Tons of new combinations out there too.. The 660 crowd is constantly trying new combos out.. Everything from custom heads, pistons, cams, computers. Swaping out parts from across 30 yrs to come up with engines/drive trains unique as the hybrid 3.4L/3500 and my current TT project.. Though our after market is growing (660), it is still not up to the aftermarket of the v8 and other brands of v6's. So guys like myself and others experiment with what we've got and can get. If you've ever been smoked by a fully built 660, just think "fully built" for that engine includes lots of stock parts... Gm was @ least good enough to throw us a bone on good internals to start with and a very well balanced engine.. The 3800 is a class of it's own. Strong after market parts, and wheel stands can be had with it.. Thanks again Buick guys!! But the days of the iron 90*v6 are numbered.. They are currently being replaced with the more efficiant 660 in new models and some of the more traditional name plates like Camaro..
    im not knocking ya..i have a lot of respect for your builds and other F/Is like it ..but in respects to N/A vs F/I ...it is just much easier to make much more power F/I than N/A ...so when a N/A car runs 9s ..compared to a F/I car runs 8s..i will always be more impressed with the N/A guy..might not be as fast..or as much power..but this his limitations it is more impressive to me.

  6. #26
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    im not knocking ya..i have a lot of respect for your builds and other F/Is like it ..but in respects to N/A vs F/I ...it is just much easier to make much more power F/I than N/A ...so when a N/A car runs 9s ..compared to a F/I car runs 8s..i will always be more impressed with the N/A guy..might not be as fast..or as much power..but this his limitations it is more impressive to me.
    I know you're not.. I was kinda just putting that out there. I understand what you're sayin' tho.

  7. #27
    Member 28Marcos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SATX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    375

    Pewter
    99 Z/28

    I dont think we can really help without you telling us your intentions with the car. otherwise this will just turn into a friendly debate.
    What were your plans/intentions for your bird?
    1 daily driver/nice ride but could care less for performance
    2 wanted a sleeper? or what mayn? spill the beans!

  8. #28
    Member flybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    408

    Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

    SMITTRO: ah thanks for the advice i really appriciate it man. Yeah the SES was on before the breakdown. i didn't exactly "over rev" it but i did hit 6,000 RPMS. The car has about 163,000 miles on it.


    28MARCOS: yeah my ride will be mainly a daily driver to school, work, and friends. But, gotta get her fixed first.


    My father who is helping me out with the car says we are gonna get the engine rebuilt. I mean, 100,000 mile warranty aint so bad for 2,000 bucks to rebulid. ha also he says he doesnt exactly think i should have a V8..... :/ bummer.
    Last edited by flybird; 06-22-2010 at 02:18 PM.

  9. #29
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    How old r u?

  10. #30
    Member flybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    408

    Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

    SMWS6TA: just 16..

  11. #31
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    SMITTRO: ah thanks for the advice i really appriciate it man. Yeah the SES was on before the breakdown. i didn't exactly "over rev" it but i did hit 6,000 RPMS. The car has about 163,000 miles on it.


    28MARCOS: yeah my ride will be mainly a daily driver to school, work, and friends. But, gotta get her fixed first.


    My father who is helping me out with the car says we are gonna get the engine rebuilt. I mean, 100,000 mile warranty aint so bad for 2,000 bucks to rebulid. ha also he says he doesnt exactly think i should have a V8..... :/ bummer.
    No prob, sorry for the rambling I get carried away sometimes..

    Most likely the coolant was never changed.. 6k is not very high but old stock internals .. Anywho, the old coolant may have broke down the head gasket. Dexron tends to turn acidic over time, and can have lasting effects that may not show up for years after the Dexron is removed. Ask me how I know..

  12. #32
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Below is a picture of my lower intake gaskets..
    The gasket with the orange seals is new.. Complete sections of the rubber seals had been corroded to nothing (small squares are drain back passages). I believe this is a left over from the Dexcool I flushed out a few years ago.. In my oppy it's better the run the old green stuff in the 3800...
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-30-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: correction

  13. #33
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    $2k is high for a 3800 I got one for a friend from a auto parts store a years ago, sorry can't remember but might have been AZ and they have a good warranty and it was remaufactured longblock 3800 and I think we got it for between $1500 and $1600 with tax and I think there was a core charge but the warranty was good and motor was like brand new.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  14. #34
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    SMWS6TA: just 16..
    I only asked because it seem you where young. Cool that you have a Firebird. Learn to drive it and fix it. Appreciate it, They are fun cars for beginners. Don't rush to get into the LS... engines yet. Most here have many yrs experience in driving and they still can lose control of these cars when they get power in them. Good luck and welcome to the site.

  15. #35
    Member flybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    408

    Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

    Thank you. I appriciate the help. Also!! My right light is roaring. When you turn off the lights the motor is still moving and making an awful roaring sound. Any ideas?

  16. #36
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    Thank you. I appriciate the help. Also!! My right light is roaring. When you turn off the lights the motor is still moving and making an awful roaring sound. Any ideas?
    Your gear is bad

  17. #37
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    Thank you. I appriciate the help. Also!! My right light is roaring. When you turn off the lights the motor is still moving and making an awful roaring sound. Any ideas?

    fix is here:

    headlight fix

  18. #38
    Member flybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    408

    Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

    Thanks yall

  19. #39
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    897

    Red
    1999 Trans Am

    Smittro, sorry to thread jack guy, but does the 3800 from the Monte Carlo SS's fit over as a direct swap into the Xamaro. If so i was thinking itd be good to point him in that direction possibly. I know there must be some difference because ones a FWD and ones RWD but there have the be some similaritys too.

    Also some advice on the headlight gear replace, start early in the morning it takes a little time and use a monkey wrench to pull the arm off the motor dont use a screwdriver or anything else like that. It can bend the arm and it will never work the same.

  20. #40
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Smittro, sorry to thread jack guy, but does the 3800 from the Monte Carlo SS's fit over as a direct swap into the Xamaro. If so i was thinking itd be good to point him in that direction possibly. I know there must be some difference because ones a FWD and ones RWD but there have the be some similaritys too.

    Also some advice on the headlight gear replace, start early in the morning it takes a little time and use a monkey wrench to pull the arm off the motor dont use a screwdriver or anything else like that. It can bend the arm and it will never work the same.
    Not quite a direct fit but it will bolt up.. Many things will need switched around.. Can't use a series-I But any bare 3800-II will work as I said just have to change things..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-27-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Now I've heard it all...
    By theorangeguy in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM
  2. Has anyone heard or used this site for purchasing wheels?
    By 02SS35th in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 02:41 AM
  3. Has anyone heard of this???
    By blackSS01 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 11:00 PM
  4. I heard they were all let go!
    By 98MustGT in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 06:59 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 05:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •