Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Heads, Cam and Tune by Frost.

I have a few more suspension mods to do and then I want to perk up the motor just a little with a better set of heads and camshaft. Just enough to have a little fun with now that I have a suspension to handle some more power. I have the 3:23 rear end ratio with auto trans and I think that's ok for my street driving. I'm also aware of the rear end weakness and I'll probably need to upgrade the pumpkin and axles.
    I'm open to suggestions on which mfg you would recommend keeping in mind that it's street driven and no track time. Is there a good package put together with heads and cam to match ? I don't want to go crazy and jepardize reliability and driveability.
    Would appreciate your opinions.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am considering the same for our car -- just not sure what to go with. The Trick Flow package looks great and I PM'd another member that has it installed on his car, but no reply so far.

Red
    2002 Z28

I'm going to be doing heads, cam and rear end probably in the next six months and I was thinking along the same lines and I was going to go with ported LS6 heads from Texas Speed with either a hot cam or maybe a 224 I haven't decided yet and was going to go with Moser's 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears but mine's not going to be a DD with in the next year or so.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't really know much about cams and heads other than what I've read here over the years from other members and being stock myself I have no personal experience, but here is my .02...

Cam - tons of people here and elsewhere are running the Torquer V2 or the TSP 228R on a 112 LSA and love it. Nice power and works well as a daily driver.

Heads - a lot of people port and polish 243's for a nice budget build. I've always been a fan of AFR heads but they are pretty pricey. A few I've seen have the Trickflow 215's Jeff mentioned and are pretty happy with that set-up as well.

Another cam selection that gives a little more "umph" is the MS3.

Of course, there is always the route of getting a custom grind based on which head you choose and what gears/stall you are running based on what you actually want out of the cam.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    I have a few more suspension mods to do and then I want to perk up the motor just a little with a better set of heads and camshaft. Just enough to have a little fun with now that I have a suspension to handle some more power. I have the 3:23 rear end ratio with auto trans and I think that's ok for my street driving. I'm also aware of the rear end weakness and I'll probably need to upgrade the pumpkin and axles.
    I'm open to suggestions on which mfg you would recommend keeping in mind that it's street driven and no track time. Is there a good package put together with heads and cam to match ? I don't want to go crazy and jepardize reliability and driveability.
    Would appreciate your opinions.
    I read that you are located in "New Jersey", how do you plan to pass their smog requirements with heads and cam? The cam listed above with a 112 LSA, will never pass smog.

Why dump money into at least an 11 year old car? Save the money for maintenance.

SteveC

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Jersey inspections arent 1/2 as bad as they use to be, plus passing smog has a lot to do w/ the tune...though I would stay on a 114 LSA...224 is a very popular choice mated w/ some type of ported 243's...Stay away from the LS6 , its a nice cam but you'll be looking for more. As for the tune, Frost is good but your probably going to want a dyno tune for heads/cam....theres a ton of shops in Jersey that do top notch work. Good luck.
    Last edited by BrownsMillsAntz; 11-29-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I have ported 806 heads and a v.2 cam with 112 lsa and I'm happy with the power. I'm sure if I got a better set of heads I can get a lot more out of the cam.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Just want to add, if when you say a tune by frost you mean a mail order tune I would suggest you consider looking into reputable shops in your area that can dyno tune your car. your car will most likely make better numbers and the street manners of the car will be much nicer

Edit: just noticed this was already mentioned
    Last edited by tatertot91; 11-29-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP, others here have made good points on what you've asked.

I have to ask what are your intentions for the car?

Some cams will make it a track only and others give it a good bump in power while maintaining street ability.

For cam & heads packages TS&P and Trick Flow have good combos.

In regards to the rear, yes you can throw in some better gears and try to griddle the pumpkin but that $$ is almost a waste. Much better off taking the $$ you have for cam and heads and throw it at a better rear & upgrade the tranny that way you can throw anything you want on the motor and you know you won't be blowing the rear out.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I read that you are located in "New Jersey", how do you plan to pass their smog requirements with heads and cam? The cam listed above with a 112 LSA, will never pass smog.

Why dump money into at least an 11 year old car? Save the money for maintenance.

SteveC
    Because its fun :-) I just picked up Kook headers with custom y pipe for $300 can''t wait for summer now !

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

AAre the trickflow 225cc heads good for Ls1's also?

Thread Information