Heads and cam or supercharger?

This is a discussion on Heads and cam or supercharger? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So I'm gonna have some money left over from my accident and i dont know what route to go. I ...

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Heads and cam or supercharger?

So I'm gonna have some money left over from my accident and i dont know what route to go.

I think a supercharger would be easier to install and would add power pretty good right? But then how long will my ls1 with stock internals hold up? And i could only run about 7-8 psi? And would be like 5g's for a new unit and i would have to change out injectors and fuel pump and what else?

Now for heads and cam... I wanna keep the car as my dd so it cant be too crazy but as for heads and cams i have no freaking idea how they go I was looking at the trickflow 515 package but idk seems like a lot and i think ill only get about 420 to the wheels? For a cam i think i would like something small, i think mr.luos recommended the "tsp 228" i think its called and i heard it on youtube and it sounds good i like it but for heads what would be good afr or trickflows? Or would a set of ported ls6 heads be good or maybe some 5.3 ported heads?

I need help!! My car is a m6 and has 4.10's

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

There was a recent thread about this very thing.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I am not a proponent of supercharging aluminum blocks, I guess to old school, and think that supercharging is better done on cast iron.

There are too many posters on these boards that have had numerous problems with supercharging LSx engines, and then the tuning can be a nightmare.

I would keep the engine NA and do the heads and cam thing.

JMHO

SteveC

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

For the cost i would go with head/cam, Even if you decided to blow 5 grand on a blower light said above tunning could be a nightmare.
    With a blower to get the most you would need a supporting cam and valvetrain at the least anyhow. Then you have to look at drivetrain shock.
    I would say spend a couple of grand on heads/cam and other mods to include the suspension and maybe even the rear end.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    There was a recent thread about this very thing.
    Yep. And I am STILL undecided

White
    2000 Camaro

I would start with a cam, then heads, then a supercharger. Your gonna want at least the cam if your puttin a blower on it. I love supercharged LS1s.

SOM
    2002 SS

I have had 2 all out motors built now and I would suggest find someone who has both and get a ride. If it were a daily or regular driver and for perfect street manners I would go supercharger any day of the week. I simply still do not like the idea of trusting builders with all the fine details of assembling an engine unless it was katech/lpe etc. Adding a blower and not getting horny with boost by keeping it at a safe level with a good tune will be reliable imo for much more mileage than a built motor assuming your current motor is in great condition.

Black
    2000 Z-28

I vote heads and cam and if need be some N2O for the track or racing.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

PM sent....

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I am not a proponent of supercharging aluminum blocks, I guess to old school, and think that supercharging is better done on cast iron.

There are too many posters on these boards that have had numerous problems with supercharging LSx engines, and then the tuning can be a nightmare.

I would keep the engine NA and do the heads and cam thing.

JMHO

SteveC
    Yup, your definetly old school and do not know the dependability of the LS1. These blocks hold up very well with 7-8# and you still maintain excellent fuel economy whereas a head and cam is gonna suck on gas. I got around 100K on my blown LS1 and I am making 480 rwhp and still get 14-15 mpg with my foot to the floor everywhere I go.

Find a good tuner and you will have no issues.

Thread Information