Thread: Headrests

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Headrests

Hi everyone on the forum!!! New member here and my first post. Got me a White 98 T.A. New Years day. I have a problem with my leather covers on both headrests. They are not snapped together underneath and only one side of the the cover is actually thru the rods that go down into the seats. My question is, how do I remove the headrest so I can get this tightened up
    ? Rite now they are a little loose until I figure this out. Do I need to take the seat back off to release the headrest? Thanks and I hope I posted this in the right section!!!!!!!

hugger orange

I haven't taken a head rest off of an F-body, but all the other cars I have messed with work about the same......little button on one side where the headrest rod goes down into the seat back. push the button and pull up on the headrest, it should pop right up and out for you .
    welcome to the site!

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Hi Mark. Thanks. I have tried that to no avail, a local guy who sells Trans Am parts, said you have to take the back of the seat off to release the headrest. I looked into that but only see 2 screws and removed them but nothing. I will keep my mind open in hopes of fixing this!!!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by ash25 View Post
    Hi Mark. Thanks. I have tried that to no avail, a local guy who sells Trans Am parts, said you have to take the back of the seat off to release the headrest. I looked into that but only see 2 screws and removed them but nothing. I will keep my mind open in hopes of fixing this!!!
    try posting your question in the camaro section....maybe there is some secret

black
    2002 WS6

Yes you have to take the entire back of the seat off to get the head rest to release, the exact details of how to do it escape me at the moment. There are two retainers on the inside of the seat that keep the ehad rest from coming all the way out.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Awesome thanks a bunch.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Well after looking at the back of the seat to try and take it off,I only see 2 screws, and removed them but nothing happened. I dont weanna force anything. Question, whatneeds to be removed from the back to allow its removal and enable me to remove the headrests????????? This looks puzzling.

black
    2002 WS6

well... try as I might I can not find how to remove that rear cover for the life of me in my service manual (for 2000s). How ever look under the bottom for any hidden clips or screws. Might have to gently pull it away a bit and give it a little push to free it from any clips. I'll keep looking to what I can find.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Thanks Orcus. I am sure there is an easy way to do this, just overlooking the obvious.

red
    1999 trans am convert

I know I removed the leather cover to have it sent in for the 'Bird stitching on it.The covers can be taken off and put on without removing the entire headrest.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

I would love to try that but all mine needs is to just hook back together underneath and go thru the headrest rods that go down in the seat. Man this sucks. Thanks.

red
    1999 trans am convert

The point I was making is that I know I didn't remove the whole thing to get the leather cover on and off.I do seem to remember using a hair dryer to heat the leather to aid in stretching in enough to get it on.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Yes the leather may have to be heated as it is stiff. How did you get the 2 pieces to join together underneath and still be able to get it thru the holes of the rods on headrest? One side is slotted and thats not a problem but the other side with the holes screws me up. Thanks E!

red
    1999 trans am convert

Did mine a long time ago but just went out to the car and looked at headrest. I seem to have two groves cut in the material for the support rods so the cover comes off without removing headrest fron the seat- mine's a '99, I would think a '98 would be the same.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

Thanks again Ed. I realize what you are saying, I may just snip the side with the holes and make it slotted also, that way I can remove it or just snap the "tabs" back together. Didnt want to do it that way but dont wanna take the back of the seat off either.

red
    1999 trans am convert

OK,I bought my T/A used but thought that was the way they came stock.When I decided to have the embroidery done,I think I got the info on how to remove the cover from the sellers website and I know it didn't include removing the whole headrest.Good Luck!

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans am

I think that would be strange for the 98 to be different from the 99. But who knows. I do know if they were both slotted,no problem and I hate to snip the one side but I may stop at my local Pontiac dealer and see what they say. Thanks for the time Ed!!!

Thread Information