Headlight Motor Staying On

This is a discussion on Headlight Motor Staying On within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey everyone, I'm curious if my 98 TA is the only one out there whose passenger headlight motor stays on ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Headlight Motor Staying On

Hey everyone, I'm curious if my 98 TA is the only one out there whose passenger headlight motor stays on for a few seconds after the headlight has already closed? Its a horrible noise and sounds like its grinding...I dont know if its something that can be adjusted or if it has to be replaced? The headlights come up fine and go back down fine too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do a search for headlight gears. Sounds like yours are stripped out. Mine did last year or the year before. I used and recommend brent frankers gears.

headlight fix

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

stripped gear

ditto for brent franker...your gear has stripped. unfortunately gm uses plastic gears in the headlights.. a dealer will try and get you take replace the whole motor. you can do one of two things... buy the brass gear and solve the problem for good (there is a good video that shows you exactly how to do it) if not you can open the motor and flip the gear because the motor only uses half the gear.. so the other half should be fine.. but imo I would go with the brass because it is a one time deal and you dont have to worry about it after that.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks alot guys. Yea I went to the dealership prior to posting on here and they wanted $350 for a motor. Thanks for the link.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Definitely get those Brass Gears. I had that problem on a few of my T/A's. Its a very common problem. If you dont fit it soon then eventually the light wont come up or it may have spots where it holds and other spots where it drops down until a good part of the gear catches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...spagenameZWDVW

or type in Item number: 150137535153 in the ebay search box

Red
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Free Fix Works

I had the same problem on my 01 TA. There is a nylon gear in the motor that is stripped. The good news is that only half of the gear is used for raising the headlight. The same half is used for lowering. That leaves a brand new unused half of the gear. First remove the rubber boot from the top of the headlight motor. Use the emergency raise/lower nob on the top of the motor to raise the headlight all the way. Remove the metal bracket above the motor(Three Bolts). Remove the plastic cover from around the headlights(Three Screws). Spray the nut that holds the raise/lower arm to the motor shaft with liquid wrench. Use a 11mm socket to remove the raise/lower arm from the headlight motor shaft and pull the arm off the shaft. There is a flat side on the motor shaft. Use the raise/lower nob to drop the headlight rotating the flat side on the shaft exactly 180 degrees. Put the arm back on the motor shaft and reassemble. Lower the headlight manually and replace the rubber boot. You just put the stripped half of the gear, unused, in the back and put the new, used, half in the front. FREEBIE!!!!!!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I'm having the same problem with my 99 TA. It just started doing it two days ago on my driver's side headlight. I'm glad it's an easy fix and I won't have to replace the whole motor. I'll probably replace it with the brass gear on both head lights, do you guys think anything can get worse if i keep using it and it grinds like that for another week or two?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 99 TA. It just started doing it two days ago on my driver's side headlight. I'm glad it's an easy fix and I won't have to replace the whole motor. I'll probably replace it with the brass gear on both head lights, do you guys think anything can get worse if i keep using it and it grinds like that for another week or two?

why don't you try flipping the gear? It may fix it until you can get some new gears ordered. It'll just take you a few minutes. If that don't fix it I would just put them up manually and leave them until you get new gears for them.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

if you never turn on the headlights while you are moving the gears will never strip.I've owned 3 TA's and learned the hard way.I'll bet you can strip a brand new factory gear with just one opening at 50-60 mph.Open your headlights while you are stopped!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    if you never turn on the headlights while you are moving the gears will never strip.I've owned 3 TA's and learned the hard way.I'll bet you can strip a brand new factory gear with just one opening at 50-60 mph.Open your headlights while you are stopped!
    hahaha, thats probably why it happened to me. I forget to put them on sometimes until i'm already moving. This shouldn't be a problem tho, GM is is just a bunch of cheap fucks!

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    hahaha, thats probably why it happened to me. I forget to put them on sometimes until i'm already moving. This shouldn't be a problem tho, GM is is just a bunch of cheap fucks!
    yep i did it a few times until i realized what was happening.Now we just turn them on at a stop only,havn't ruined one since and that was quite a few years ago.!st time i ruined one i was doing about 55 mph,turned the lights on and bam broke the one side.Few week later i did the same thing and broke the other side.Then i broke another,then i started thinkin....hmmm maybe shouldn't be turning them on while moving.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Here's a link to a free fix and also brass gears if you want to go that route.
    http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/#FreeGuide

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    Here's a link to a free fix and also brass gears if you want to go that route.
    http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/#FreeGuide
    Thanks, i'll look into that. I also have another weird problem. Whenever I lock my car, the alarm goes on and the lights come on for a second. but since this headlight's been acting up, the headlights have been opening and then closing everytime I set the alarm. So now at night, I shut off my lights and it makes a grinding sound and then open and close again (grinding sound 2nd time) when I set the alarm. It's really annoying. Does anyone know how this could be?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Your headlights are causing that during arming. Once you fix the gears it will go away, or so I'm told. I'm having the same problem, just haven't had the money to buy the gears yet. I have an aftermarket alarm also, so mine are grinding three times. Once when I turn off the lights and two more times when my alarms arm.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    Your headlights are causing that during arming. Once you fix the gears it will go away, or so I'm told. I'm having the same problem, just haven't had the money to buy the gears yet. I have an aftermarket alarm also, so mine are grinding three times. Once when I turn off the lights and two more times when my alarms arm.
    I hope so, but only the driver's side headlight is grinding...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Mine's the passanger side

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

So I messed around with the motor and headlight without opening the motor and flipping the gear. Now the headlight grinds on the way up but it can be stopped if someone pushes it up with their hand. So it doesn't happen as often and my headlights don't open anymore when I lock the car. Phew, i don't think i'll have to worry about my motor, but i'll have to fiddle with this thing more.

Thread Information