Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Headlight Grinds when shut off!

This is a discussion on Headlight Grinds when shut off! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Wait....nm....the other teeth....God im stupid....

Impounded

Black
    1999 WS.6

Wait....nm....the other teeth....God im stupid.

red
    1999 trans am convert

If half of the teeth of the gear are still ok, yeah,flip it over.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

you should just have to turn it 180.

Impounded

Black
    1999 WS.6

Yea....turns out I dont even need to take out the motor!???!!

All you have to do is...

1. Take the arm that supports the light to the motor off.
    2. Take the rubber protective crap off of the motor.
    3. Take a screwdiver and turn it

Place the arm back and you're good to go.

I didnt see this until AFTER I took everything out....PIA!

Junior Member black transam1218's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

lights

ive had this happen a couple years ago. like anything it always takes more time than you like. look at this way, you now know how to fix the other one if and when it happens.

never did order a metal gear, just rotated the existing plastic one. still works perfectly fine. ya, i bet you just freaked and loved that noise it makes.

Pewter
    99 Trans Am WS6

I replaced the gear in my driver side moter but or some weird reason when i turn on my headlights it wants to fold down and when turn them off it wants to go up. I tired moveing it up by turning it manually but as soon as i turn my lights on it goes down. WTF is going on here?

Thanks guys.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by FFRob2001 View Post
    I replaced the gear in my driver side moter but or some weird reason when i turn on my headlights it wants to fold down and when turn them off it wants to go up. I tired moveing it up by turning it manually but as soon as i turn my lights on it goes down. WTF is going on here?

Thanks guys.
    lol, i did the same. one up then one down. we unplugged it then turned the headlight switch to the up position, then connected it and it worked for me.

Pewter
    99 Trans Am WS6

That did not work. I opened the headlight manually and un plugged it then turned the lights on and pluged it in. The lamp came on but when i shut them off it still wanted to open up, It moved up trying to open as if it was closed. When i turned them back on it went down.

I also tried.
    Turning the lights on then manually opening it up and un plugging it then re plugging it in and turning them off. Same thing happens. It trys to move up when i turn the head lights off and down when i turn them on.

The headlight does not come up or down at all. It trys to move but it wont come up at all. If i manually move it up it will close fine but wont re open.

Any ideas?

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

That did not work. I opened the headlight manually and un plugged it then turned the lights on and pluged it in. The lamp came on but when i shut them off it still wanted to open up, It moved up trying to open as if it was closed. When i turned them back on it went down.

I also tried.
    Turning the lights on then manually opening it up and un plugging it then re plugging it in and turning them off. Same thing happens. It trys to move up when i turn the head lights off and down when i turn them on.

The headlight does not come up or down at all. It trys to move but it wont come up at all. If i manually move it up it will close fine but wont re open.

Any ideas?
    you have to take the bracket off the side of the motor and turn then on/ off, this will reset the/ even the lights out.

make sense? the light needs to move 180. without the bracket on. try that.
    let me know.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

make sure you get a 10mm ratcheting wrench or else its a bitch to do

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1136 View Post
    make sure you get a 10mm ratcheting wrench or else its a bitch to do
    i just left the nut on a bit took plyers and popped it off then finished taking the nut off easy.

Pewter
    99 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    you have to take the bracket off the side of the motor and turn then on/ off, this will reset the/ even the lights out.

make sense? the light needs to move 180. without the bracket on. try that.
    let me know.
    OK i took the bracket off and turned the lights on. The shaft just kept spinning and spinning. Then i put the bracket back on with both headlights up. Then i turned them off and the passenger side went down but the driver side still tried to go up.

I tired to take the bracket off and turn the lights on then unplug the driver side and then turned the lights off. I then hooked the bracket back to the shafe and manaually rolled down the driver side and turned the lights on. Still same problem.

I also tried to the rights on and take the bracket off. Turned the lights off and hooked the bracket back and manually moved it down and still did not fix it. I watched the other motor but it seams like my motor might be spinning the wrong way. Is it possible that i was send a gear for the passenger side and thats why its not working. I dont know what the hell else to do.

If im not doing this right please type it out step by step to make sure that im doing it correctly.

Thanks.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

OK i took the bracket off and turned the lights on. The shaft just kept spinning and spinning. Then i put the bracket back on with both headlights up. Then i turned them off and the passenger side went down but the driver side still tried to go up.

I tired to take the bracket off and turn the lights on then unplug the driver side and then turned the lights off. I then hooked the bracket back to the shafe and manaually rolled down the driver side and turned the lights on. Still same problem.

I also tried to the rights on and take the bracket off. Turned the lights off and hooked the bracket back and manually moved it down and still did not fix it. I watched the other motor but it seams like my motor might be spinning the wrong way. Is it possible that i was send a gear for the passenger side and thats why its not working. I dont know what the hell else to do.

If im not doing this right please type it out step by step to make sure that im doing it correctly.

Thanks.
    man only other thing i can guess i to watch this and do it all over again.
    http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...tm#MetalGuide2

watch the video maybe you missed something. i don't know everything you tried seems right. maybe check the manual up down and make sure it is down when the light is down.

Pewter
    99 Trans Am WS6

Could it be that i was sent a passenger side gear and thats whats causing the problem or is both gears the same?

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

gear should be the same.

Pewter
    99 Trans Am WS6

2 Videos of what my lights are doing

Thanks guys for any help.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

you have the drivers side motor, wrong. you need to take the nut off of the side where it connects to the motor. cycle the lights once. then reconnect the nut. you have the motor/nut in the wrong cycle.
    get it? it needs to be 180 the other way.

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

I did the gear swap and ran into a couple of bumps as well, but not that bad.
    One thing I noticed, is that there is slack in the headlight that doesn't work.
    You should not be able to lift the headlight any, if at all if all is properly installed. One thing that I did figure out, and this may or may not help, but is
    noteworthy in general, is that both motors are exactly the same! The way it is made into a left or right is by using 2 different shafts, and having them come out of the opposite sides of the motors. I took both motors apart, cleaned all the parts, then set them on the table and proceeded to assemble them into 2 passenger side motors, with 1 shaft sticking out farther. What you need to do is make sure the motors are set in correctly, and that the shafts go out the correct side for each one. Keep in mind also that the arms that push/pull the headlights out need to travel past a straight line, and also need to clear the mounting bolts, make sure the head side of the bolts face the arms, they may not clear if the other way. Also, I took a huge set of channel lock pliers and squeezed the tabs of the metal cans for the motors onto the plastic gear housings so there was no play. Hope this helps some.
    I will go out and look to see which way the shafts point in mine, and post that up (unless someone beats me to it!)

I went out and looked, and both shafts should point towards the radiator. The passenger side motor should mount so the removable cover is pointing out towards the fender and the other side is up against the bulkhead, the drivers side should mount so the removeable cover is pointing in towards the radiator and is against the bulkhead.
    Another thing you can check is the can to gear housing fit, if you can wiggle the motor by moving
    the self adjuster back and forth, it is probably too loose and you need to tighten the 4 tabs that hold the metal can to the plastic gear housing.

The more I think about it, my guess is somehow you have the motor backwards. Did you cut and rewire the motor by any chance, may be backwards. From what I saw when I worked on mine, they should self align when you cycle them a couple times. They did work oddly when I had the motor mounting bolts in backwards (nuts and shaft of bolt towards raise/lower arms) and got stuck a bit.
    Last edited by chuckstop00; 07-07-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

just a tip. never open or close your headlights while driving. the wind resistance will cause the nylon gear to bind while moving. this in turn strips it out.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsnkx View Post
    just a tip. never open or close your headlights while driving. the wind resistance will cause the nylon gear to bind while moving. this in turn strips it out.
    what about do 100mph with them up?

this doesn't seem to make sense to me. if there up there is resistance already? why would it matter to open them. seems like it would help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information