headers 1 3/4 x3 or 1 7/8x3???

This is a discussion on headers 1 3/4 x3 or 1 7/8x3??? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Im looking at buying some longtubes for my 01 SS and wonding what is different between the 1 3/4x3 and ...

White
    2001 camaro SS

headers 1 3/4 x3 or 1 7/8x3???

Im looking at buying some longtubes for my 01 SS and wonding what is different between the 1 3/4x3 and the 1 7/8x3????
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The difference is that the openings of the primaries are bigger one the primaries are 1 3/4" the other they are 1 7/8".
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just get the 1-7/8
    It's on jackstands.

White
    2001 camaro SS

does it really matter if the bigger one is better why make the smaller one?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I disagree that bigger is always better. My opinion (and it's just my opinion) is that unless you're going pretty radical engine wise the 1.75" header will work just fine for 90% of the people out there. Not to mention room under the hood is limited as it is and changing plugs is already a big enough pain in the ass.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion:2768257
    I disagree that bigger is always better. My opinion (and it's just my opinion) is that unless you're going pretty radical engine wise the 1.75" header will work just fine for 90% of the people out there. Not to mention room under the hood is limited as it is and changing plugs is already a big enough pain in the ass.
    Not disagreeing, but what harm will getting 1-7/8 do if not going "pretty radical" as you put it??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

My opinion is that velocity is just as important as volume. The faster it flows the more scavenging you'll have which in turn will increase torque. The only way I'd personally run 1 7/8" headers was if I had a stroker motor with a decent cam or forced induction. I might consider it on a stock cubed motor if it had what I would consider a large cam. It would have to be flowing enough air to where I thought a 1.75 primary is being restrictive. That's just me though. I just don't think most of the guys out there are going to see any benefit to the larger primaries and they take up more room that could be used to swap plugs.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

So 1 7/8 stepped to 2?

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    My opinion is that velocity is just as important as volume. The faster it flows the more scavenging you'll have which in turn will increase torque. The only way I'd personally run 1 7/8" headers was if I had a stroker motor with a decent cam or forced induction. I might consider it on a stock cubed motor if it had what I would consider a large cam. It would have to be flowing enough air to where I thought a 1.75 primary is being restrictive. That's just me though. I just don't think most of the guys out there are going to see any benefit to the larger primaries and they take up more room that could be used to swap plugs.
    Thanks man good info

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    Thanks man good info
    just my opinion so take it as such. I've just read articles over the years that show you want gas velocity, be it on the intake or exhaust side, as much as you want volume. A good case in point is the LS2 intake....there's been shoot out after shoot out done and the LS6 out performs the LS2 even though it doesn't have as much volume. It does it with velocity. The trick is finding that happy medium where it all works together. I personally don't think 1.75" primaries become a restriction until you're putting down serious power. Heads/cam on a stock cubed LS1 isn't going to choke with those primaries. I have the same thoughts about the 102/102 fast set up. Guys dropping $1000+ on that set up with a relatively stock motor. That money would be better spent elsewhere.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I was having the same debate and talked to a tech at TSP today. I explained to him my motor is basicly stock except for a small cam, and I'm not planning on doing much to the motor. But I am unhappy with the low end compared to what my stock '02 was. He said go with 1 3/4.

Thread Information