silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Header studs...??

Hey guys looking into these, has anyone tried them?
    ARP is like $135.00..!

LS1 LS6 LS3 LS7 LSX Stainless Steel Header Studs | eBay

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with Stage 8 locking header bolts. They worked great and by modifying the tabs slightly, I was able to keep all of them tight against the header tubes.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Make sure you have the room to use studs.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Like mentioned, you need the room to pull the header in and out, and straight off the head. If it's close to the steering components, frame, or any other obstructions, you may not clear the studs. Sometimes depending on tube design the studs may be too long to even get the nut on there.

They are nice however if you can use them, especially on aluminum heads. Nice to be able to just stick the gaskets and the headers on there and they stay put while you fiddle with starting the nuts.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Keith, I thought about that too. You could actually put the headers up in place and then screw the studs in. They are only supposed to be finger tight. Of course, if they seize up in the future, and do not come with a recessed allen head (I didn't look at the link), there could be issues.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I went with Stage 8 locking header bolts. They worked great and by modifying the tabs slightly, I was able to keep all of them tight against the header tubes.
    How did you modify the tabs?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Keith, I thought about that too. You could actually put the headers up in place and then screw the studs in. They are only supposed to be finger tight. Of course, if they seize up in the future, and do not come with a recessed allen head (I didn't look at the link), there could be issues.
    Jeff, I hear what you are saying but if you have to screw in the stud, then place a lock washer on, then put a nut on and tighten the whole deal it makes for more work and the stud itself with have to tighten in the head to allow the nut to tighten. I only use studs when I have to such as heads, main bearing caps and I like to use them on oil pans. JMHO

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I tightened the header bolts to the recommended torque (or a close estimate for the ones I couldn't get a torque wrench on) and then placed the tear drop shaped tab over the head of the bolt. After eyeing it up, I would grind away just a bit of the tab so that with the bolt torqued to spec the tab would be up against a header tube. I then tightened the bolt just past this point, slipped on the tab and c-clip, and then backed it off until the tab was firmly in contact with the header tube.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I went to GM got all new stock replacement bolts, torqued to spec. Ran the motor let cool a little added 1 pound and retorqued, No leakes ( use factory GM gasket also )
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Thread Information