Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Header Help

silver
    98 ss camaro

Header Help

Long story very short, i'm stuck with some kooks headers for an ls1 camaro... theres a slight chance that they might be the wrong ones because the shop couldn't get them in. The driver side was hitting on the steering shaft no matter what they try. So either the car was in an accident or bad motor mounts and easy ways to know. Most likely goint to try to sell them for what i can get as i get pulled over way too much with just my cat back here in cali. Just want to know for sure before I sell them that this is the situation, sent pictures to kooks and they look right the them and myself. The car is a 1998 ss camaro, ls1 m6. Headers are 1 7/8 to 3" kooks long tube header. Also have the kooks catted y pipe to match if anyones interested.

Also i remember seeing a link on a thread one time that had msd spark plug wires for my 98 camaro for around $50, anyone know that site or a good place to by them. Local store wants almost $100.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Here's an ebay link for some wires. Not sure about the headers...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-3...item563b53119e

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

PM sent
    Do you have any pics of the headers and y-pipe?

silver
    2000 formula

wanna sell em cheap???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The driver side Kooks LT was a bit of a tight fit. You definitely have to remove the oil filter. I clearanced the lip on my k-member with a small angle grinder less than 1/8" and it went right up in.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    wanna sell em cheap???
    Shoot me an offer, kinda just wanna get rid of them cuz ill be pulled over every day where I live if I put them on.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The driver side Kooks LT was a bit of a tight fit. You definitely have to remove the oil filter. I clearanced the lip on my k-member with a small angle grinder less than 1/8" and it went right up in.
    The only thing its having an issue with the the steering shaft that goes right to the steering wheel, and oil filter??? On my camaro us underneath pointing down no where near in the way.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Maybe '98 has a different layout. The instructions from Kooks stated that the oil filter had to be removed. I tried installing the header with the filter on (as I had only a few hundred miles on it) and there was no way it was going to go in.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Maybe '98 has a different layout. The instructions from Kooks stated that the oil filter had to be removed. I tried installing the header with the filter on (as I had only a few hundred miles on it) and there was no way it was going to go in.

I had to remove my oil filter when I installed my Kooks too, but I did not have to grind or bang anything either .

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

got any pics?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I know on the GTOs the steering shaft has to be disconnected to install the driver side header. I can't remember if the same has to be done to the F-Bodies.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I know on the GTOs the steering shaft has to be disconnected to install the driver side header. I can't remember if the same has to be done to the F-Bodies.
    Tried this and no luck, maybe didn't get that far as for the oil filter because they couldn't get the headers to bolt up with the steering shaft in, and when they took the steering shaft off no luck. I was told if the motor twist in anyway when reving up the motor mounts are bad and that could be the issue.... so I'm just going to sell the headers and use the money for a new clutch and a paint job. Maybe some deep dish rims. Paid $844 ticket today and cops just love to pull me over. Got pulled over last week 2 time once for tinted windows.......my windows arnt tinted.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yikes!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    Got pulled over last week 2 time once for tinted windows.......my windows arnt tinted.

I'd be fighting this ticket.

red
    99 camaro

Damn, what the hell could you do for an $844 ticket that didnt warrant going to jail for??? Thats f-ing bull sh$t!!!! Around here a dragracing ticket is 500, And I thought that was steep??? I havent gotten one but thats what I was told, as I dont agree with street racing when cops around!!!

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Damn, what the hell could you do for an $844 ticket that didnt warrant going to jail for??? Thats f-ing bull sh$t!!!! Around here a dragracing ticket is 500, And I thought that was steep??? I havent gotten one but thats what I was told, as I dont agree with street racing when cops around!!!
    was a $400 ticket for running a red light, my grandma passed away the day before my court date, I called and they said the judge would reschedule and give me a new date. They wrote the wrong date on the paper and I showed to to be told that, that was the wrong date. Failure to appears add some nice extras to the orignal $400, then I'm told I have less then 2 weeks to pay or they add on $300 and sent it to the department of revenue. The ticket was now $500 and at the time I was helping my gf pay for her school she had to pay over $600 a month so I was broke. They said the only way to get a court date is to pay the $500 first, oh and it had to be cash or check they refused to take my credit card. So fml I had to pay $844. They gave me a little hope saying I could file to have the $300 waived off, so I did then got a paper saying denied with no reason why or who looked over it so my guess is they just didn't care. This was just the tip of it our traffic court system is majorly fucked up here. Hence that's why I'm just going to sell them I don't need the headache right now of a cop on a power trip.

silver
    2000 formula

tell em you will sit it out in jail............they hate that

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    tell em you will sit it out in jail............they hate that
    Lmao they'd probably take me up on that.

red
    99 camaro

yeah, I would seriously doubt that they would take any money out of their pockets simply because its the right f-ing thing to do, after all, what the hell do we think they are, stupid??? I like the fact that some jerkoff tells me how to live my life and then steals money from my pockets when I dont do what im told.

Thread Information