Having Alternator PROBLEMS

This is a discussion on Having Alternator PROBLEMS within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok here is the deal. I have a 98 Trans am with nearly 200,000 miles and runs absolutely great besides ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Angry Having Alternator PROBLEMS

Ok here is the deal. I have a 98 Trans am with nearly 200,000 miles and runs absolutely great besides for 1 huge thing! For the past year and 3 months I have been through 8 alternators! I have looked at all the wires to see if there is a break and don't see one I even ohm them out and they are showing contact. They last for 2-3 months then die. Last night it happened again so I booked it home but this morning when I started up my car to roll on some ramps it was charging again???? So who wants to be my savior on this one? Because I am tired and out of idea's and broke as a joke and

White
    98 Camaro

A couple of things come to mind. First I assume you have had the battery checked because it's possible for a battery to appear fine and work fine but if you load test it with a decent battery analizer it will fail, then I would check the plug that pushes in to the alternator, disconnect it and look inside for corrosion or a melted plug that will short some of the terminals together. Besides that I would look in to an oem unit (delco) if you bought one at Advanced, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc they all have a cheap line of parts and you get what you pay for. If you did buy the cheaper unit, the parts store will let you upgrade to the better alternator for the difference in price or may be able to get you an Delco alternator. Good Luck!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

upgrade to a 99+ 6.0 truck engine...then swap the plastic covers and you'll be all set..105amps is not enough for our cars..we pull 90 amps + with all accessories on and lights....also on lmperformance.com they have a powermaster one that is rated at 150amps....if your getting them from autozone etc..that are re-manufactured ..your going to run into issues...get a new aftermarket amp and you'll be done.

98' trans am

also...a new release from gm says that drop in voltage is normal when under-load....they recommend that to recharge your battery..you should turn off all of your accessories that you can..no lights,radio,heat etc and let your car recharge the battery properly

Red
    98 Trans Am

Alright well yeah I got the one from advance autoparts but it was not a refurb. But I might try getting the alternator for a 6 liter. Actually I think I will just go to the dealership and get a acdelco lol... But I've had this car for 5 years and has been a great car and this is the only problems that keeps haunting me lol. Also I have checked the contacts and they are fine as for the plug I replaced that last year because the wired was corroded but I will get it tested after work. That is if I make it! Thanks for the info!

98' trans am

its the amps..doesnt matter if its ac/delco or not..if its 105amps you will prob. run into the same issue..buy a 140+ and be done with it all together

White
    98 Camaro

You said yourself you had the car 5 years with no problem so the AMPS will not be the problem and yes AC Delco makes the best alternator for your car and they are available at Discount if you ask for them, they may have to order it in from their hub but should have it same day and only be maybe 30 -50 dollars more. Having more amps is fine especialy if you have a system installed so ask the parts guy what options you have. There should be a couple different alternators to choose from. This only applies assuming you have checked all connections, wiring, cables, etc.. and the alternator IS to blame.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

i have had similar issues...

been through 4 in about 6 months...

battery is a year old and i have two subs additional to factory

we checked the one red wire that plugs into the top of alternator and read 7-9 volts when it should be reading battery volts which are 12-13

we changed the terminal to the L terminal in plug for alternator and ran it to the engine control fuse so it wouldnt stay on when vehicle off...

Working like new!

Thread Information