white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Have a Porsche 914 with an LS6 500HP

I have a question for you LS engine guys out there. I have been having a hell of a time trying to keep oil from splurting out of my engine. I have a built LS6 normally aspirated motor. It has CNC ported heads, .605 lift cam, custom equal length headers, etc blah...blah...blah. I hooked up a Moroso catch can and fed it from one valve cover. It worked like shit...the can would fill up immediately when road racing and would overflow through the filter and drip onto my headers...causing much smoke! Then I was told to install a return line from the bottom of the catch can to a new port in the oil pan. I tried it with the same result! It acually sucked oil backwards through the return line into the bottom of the catch can (there's a valve to shut off the feed line from the valve cover during normal driving) and it over flowed through the filter...dripping oil right onto my headers...AGAIN! So then I called SMC Performance and was told to use a stock LS6 valley cover with the proper LS6 PCV breather parts in lew of my LS1 breather set up and valley cover. I can see why this would help out as it is a better design. I have since removed my catch can...because it was causing more trouble than it helped. I also performed a leakdown test to see why my motor might be blowing oil so much...the result was 4% across the board...which is perfect. I think I will try the LS6 valley cover and breather system and avoid using the catch can...its a smelly, drippy and oily mess!

Anyone experience problems like this while road course racing or drag racing (high revs...G forces)

Bill

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Am I reading that correctly? You say you have an LS6 motor but you're running an LS1 pcv setup? The LS6 setup is supposed to be much better than the LS1. I haven't converted because I'm one of the lucky ones that don't have an oil consumption problem.
    There's a write up at www.ls1howto.com that shows how to swap the pcv system over to LS6.

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Yes, That's correct. I bought an LS1 originally...ran it for 2 years..then sold the long block and replaced it with a LS6 longblock. I re-used all the old accessories...including the PCV system. The engine does have an LS6 intake and all other parts are identical. Thanks for the link to the thread. Why do you say you are one of the lucky ones? Does this oil blowing problem happen more often than not? Thanks,

Bill

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...LSX's are notorious for blowing oil....GM engineers/brain trust decided to route it back to the fricking throttle body! So most LSX folks have a catch can...I am right there with you....I have a 04 Goat...with a 402 Stroker motor...sum biatch is built.....I have a AMW catch can and vented the valve covers with filtered necks....you need to plug and remove all stock PVC components.....out of the valley cover route that into your inlet of your catch can....out of your catch can back into the throttle body...then vent your valve covers with a filtered outlet....that will end all the oil blowing issues.....did for me....you cannot or should not run a catch can and vents along with your PCV system....defeats the vents and can...lemme pull up some pics....visual is better I think...
    Here I'll go out in the shop and take some close ups for you...give me 5 minutes....
    Here...Plug your PCV coming ouit of your valve cover...

Route your output pressure from your Valley to the input of your catch can....output of your catch can to the input of your throttle body....

And of course vent your valve cover...I like the Moroso vents myself....great fit and made for the LSX engine specific....here..
    http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...y_Code=GTUNDER
    And the catch can for the LSX specific is here....out of stock until Nov...that tells you it is a very common issue doesn't it
    http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-03-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Thread Information