Have anyone taken there car to dealership and not happly .

This is a discussion on Have anyone taken there car to dealership and not happly . within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I took my TA to a dealership here because of a charging problem, ended up paying for a new computer ...

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Have anyone taken there car to dealership and not happly .

I took my TA to a dealership here because of a charging problem, ended up paying for a new computer that I believe that the tech shorted out checking it.Now the car is charging right but it will not idle, I have taken the car back three times and the techs there have no Ideal
    what they are doing,instead of fixing the problem they chose to idle the throttle body up and thought that would get it pass me and everything would be ok.I don't know a lot about the computer controlled cars of today but I do know that the throttle is set at the factory and it should not be moved because it will cause other problems. I know that the idle is controlled by the computer and the throttle sensor if I am right. Do I have a talk with the service head or walk away after paying them $600.00 to destroy my car.I installed the new alternator myself. I thought that I would take it to a dealer because I felt that they knew a little more about these cars than I did.what should I do go to another dealer and hope they know more or what. I was told that the red wire that's on the back of the alternator had shorted out the computer.and that the alternator was bad.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 06-05-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would be talking to the person in charge. You do not "idle up" an LS1 - total band aide cop out on the part of the tech. He should have diagnosed and fixed the problem correctly, or admitted that he was too stupid to figure it out and let you take it somewhere else. And I am only calling him stupid because he has already proven that.

Except for a handful of close friends, no one touches our cars. I fix it myself or it stays broke.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I took my TA to a dealership here because of a charging problem, ended up paying for a new computer that I believe that the tech shorted out checking it.Now the car is charging right but it will not idle, I have taken the car back three times and the techs there have no Ideal
    what they are doing,instead of fixing the problem they chose to idle the throttle body up and thought that would get it pass me and everything would be ok.I don't know a lot about the computer controlled cars of today but I do know that the throttle is set at the factory and it should not be moved because it will cause other problems. I know that the idle is controlled by the computer and the throttle sensor if I am right. Do I have a talk with the service head or walk away after paying them $600.00 to destroy my car.I installed the new alternator myself. I thought that I would take it to a dealer because I felt that they knew a little more about these cars than I did.what should I do go to another dealer and hope they know more or what. I was told that the red wire that's on the back of the alternator had shorted out the computer.and that the alternator was bad.
    If you dont believe them, I would definately say talk to the service manager or the General Manager. It sort of sounds to me like, from what you are saying, that they misdiagnosed your charging problem. The way I understand it, that wire would more likely break than do anything to the computer, but FBJones or one of those guys would be a better source than I would.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would be talking to the person in charge. You do not "idle up" an LS1 - total band aide cop out on the part of the tech. He should have diagnosed and fixed the problem correctly, or admitted that he was too stupid to figure it out and let you take it somewhere else. And I am only calling him stupid because he has already proven that.

Except for a handful of close friends, no one touches our cars. I fix it myself or it stays broke.
    The worst thing is that our cars are no more complicated than a similar vintage Camry, in some cases simpler, but some repair shops seem to make it as complicated as a Ferrari or Bugatti.

When my car was under extended warranty, a dealer rebuilt my differential assembly because I was complaining about a "clopping" noise in the back at speed as islf a horse was galloping. They never looked at the rear hub assembly, which it ended up being. At least I got a fresh diff at 70k and no deductble charged for the hub I guess.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Service or general manager also gets my vote. If the tech misdiagnosed your car or fried something else, that tech gets backcharged and the dealer HAS to make things right. They can't afford to lose any business due to a tech's negligence. If the service manager is "smart", they will have another tech do a full scan of your car and whatever was damaged from the computer replacement will be either discounted or free from the dealer.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I had a talk with the service manager, he told me to bring it back to them and they will get it right, that's hard for me to believe after they have had it there three times and are yet to fix it. I refuse to settle for them just idling my car up and not fixing what they messed up on my car. I don't think they have the brains out there to fix it. I say that now because it have been there three times and they have not figured it out yet.If they can't fix it what should be my next move?

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Next move would be another dealer if not a tuner shop. The dealership your car has been to should have a foreman who is very well trained and has many years of experience. If the dealership your car has been to has no foreman, I would look elsewhere. The foreman is pretty much the team leader and knows your car's symptoms by just words alone. Keep us posted.

Thread Information