pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Have anyone ever thought about having dash covered.

I have a cracked dash and was thinking about covering it instead of replacing it.The glare from the dash is blinding at times.and I feel that I could keep it from cracking with the right products. What do you guys think. I would buy the covering and install it myself, I have done tops and redid seats so I have the know how.I have never removed a dash like ours, so I need to know how to remove it. I am only doing the section under the glass. NEED HELP.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 12-31-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Most of the aftermarket covers look kind of bad IMO. I remember that one member cut a piece of closely matching vinyl and made an overlay with it. Seemed to work well and looked good.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I agree with Jeff. But, try your way and see how it looks.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Can anyone tell me how to get it out?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

remove the 2 pillars, you have to lift the t tops off first. There is 2 screws there, then slide them off. Next just pop off the dash pad. Use something to aid in lifting it up . I used a flat tip screw driver. You shouldn't have to use to much force.

I have a dash pad and it looks pretty good. I had the "Bird" and "Trans Am" logo embroider into it. I will have to take a pic and post tomorrow. Too dark. I'd give you the place that made it but as I was looking it up to give you a link it seems they have gone out of business.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    remove the 2 pillars, you have to lift the t tops off first. There is 2 screws there, then slide them off. Next just pop off the dash pad. Use something to aid in lifting it up . I used a flat tip screw driver. You shouldn't have to use to much force.

I have a dash pad and it looks pretty good. I had the "Bird" and "Trans Am" logo embroider into it. I will have to take a pic and post tomorrow. Too dark. I'd give you the place that made it but as I was looking it up to give you a link it seems they have gone out of business.
    That's the story of my life a day late and a dollar short. i still would like to see what it looks like.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I had a crack on my dash pad and I got a cover for it. It was kinda of decent but after a while I can smell rubber. The material the bottom of this dash pad is made releases gases when exposed to heat. Not a big problem but it smells when you get inside the car. After a while I decided to remove the cover to inspect the crack. The initial crack was 3 inches. The crack was 12 inches long now and it had spiral in different directions. the whole pad had cracks.

I started to look for options as you are to redo the dash pad. One of the options was to cover it with vinyl. If done correctly it looks awesome. If you want to go that route make sure you do it asap. The more you wait the bigger the crack gets because of the vibration. In my case when I tried to remove the pad the plastic pieces that hold the metal clips snaped all out so I didn't have a way to re install it. The integrity of the pad was too weak.

I ended up buying a used pad from ebay in real good condition for about $130.

Thread Information