2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Hard starting issues...

So I just went through a complete engine rebuild, but have had this issue from day one of purchasing my Bird and when it was completely stock.

Btw starter, new battery, new alternator, various new harness plugs, new battery cables, lots of new fuses, various new sensors, new vacuum hoses, new pvc system. No codes, no check engine lights, runs like a bad ass..(it's awesome )

Basically only things that are not new are my LS6 intake, my injectors and my fuel pump. Replaced the fuel filter last night.

So here's the problem.

It fires right up on COLD start. But after its warmed up and at operating temp, I drive it, kill it at the gas station, grocery store, etc, whether it's 5 minutes or 20 mins... it drags restarting it, takes several cranks or even hitting the throttle pedal then it fires. It's quite embarrassing honestly.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I'm thinking fuel system but I wanted back up on this.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Throw a gauge on the rail and see what your fuel pressure is with the key on before you crank it. Sounds like our Suburban that I just changed the pump out in a few weeks ago with Zach and Dan's assistance. Actually... they did all the work and I just got to supervise and hand them tools. That is what really happened.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Could be a leaky injector dumping the fuel rail and you have to reprime it. See Jeff's post above.

Yep, I'd put a gauge on the rail, turn the key on and see what you have.

I even go a step further and use a gauge with a long enough hose, and duck tape that to the window and go for a drive. Under load is when you see if the fuel pump is keeping up with the engine demands. Be curious to see what the fuel pressure is doing after the engine is warm and you experience the hard start issues.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Ok. I'll give it a shot this weekend. I have a fuel pressure gauge, just got to figure out how to hook it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    Ok. I'll give it a shot this weekend. I have a fuel pressure gauge, just got to figure out how to hook it up.
    If it's a store bought universal gauge it should have a shrader fitting on the end of the hose.

It will screw right into the shrader valve on the end of your fuel rail. Should find that on the driver side rail, and should also have a screw on cap covering it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think you guys either missed a key phrase or I'm understanding it wrong....she said it "drags restarting". That makes me think electrical such as a bad ground. Check your battery cables and make sure there's no corrosion plus the wires on the starter for corrosion or a half broken wire or something like that. Maybe I'm understanding that wrong but to me "drags" means that it has trouble turning the car over.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I replaced all those wires Orion. I probably worded that wrong. Not drag as in battery drain....but like it's not getting fuel.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    If it's a store bought universal gauge it should have a shrader fitting on the end of the hose.

It will screw right into the shrader valve on the end of your fuel rail. Should find that on the driver side rail, and should also have a screw on cap covering it.
    Ok, I know exactly what you're talking about now. I'll see what the fuel pressure is tomorrow evening.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok....got ya. Yep...start with pressure and go from there. How many miles are on the fuel pump? Have you ever tried cycling the key on and off a couple of times before trying to crank it when it's hot? To me it almost sounds like that fuel line is draining back into the tank and then not re-priming. A pressure gauge will tell you a lot though. Hook it up and turn the key on and see where your pressure goes and then see if the pressure stays up or if it starts falling rapidly.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Remember Jodi, I told you Martin from Tick told/instructed me to get a new pump & 42lb injectors for that cam.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I know. But this has always done this. Even when it was completely stock. Waiting for it to cool down outside so I can go mess with my fuel pressure gauge.

Thread Information