Post Half throttle+ causes violent throttle response

Idling is fine. Driving calmly is fine. When I give the car half throttle to WOT, the car reacts in the same way if I were to tap dance on the pedal. Bogging isnt really whats going on, its responding as if I am pressing on and off the gas, only my foot never moves.

I need to get my car to a auto parts store to get the codes flashed, but work keeps getting in the way. Ive cleaned the MAF (never done it before) and that didnt work. Then I did some more research on determining if the MAF is bad. Apparently, if you disconnect it, the car will still run, but without the MAF, it should idle badly, IF its working properly. Well, my idle has always been fine, like I said. I gave it a try anyway. I disconnected it and it ran exactly the same. This supposedly means the MAF is bad, because the computer wouldve reacted to the disconnection.

bah, is any of that true? What other considerations shall I consider?

EDIT: My sig doesnt show? WTF Its a stock MAF

99 T/A, LS6 intake, hooker long tubes, hooker cat back, Clear Lid, Holley power shot filter, 373s, Pro 5.0 shifter, MSD wires
    Last edited by AKIRA; 08-08-2013 at 04:11 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you changed you spark plugs and wires? If so, check your wires and make DAMN sure they CLICK. You might have a wire on the coil or plug and it's not completely connected. Is the car modded? If so, what mods? Let us know what codes you have when you have the car scanned.

Ive not changed the plugs and wires since late 2007. Ive already ordered a set of NGK TR55s and theyre on their way to me now. I used to own a 89 Formula with some SHITTY Edelbrock headers. The wires would almost always eventually get burned from a header or 2 and cause it to arc. Anyway, when Id be driving a 7 or 6 cylinder during these times, the car didnt act like my car does. No, when that car had problems with the plugs/wires, the car just didnt make that much power. However, this 99 is a computer controlled engine, so I am ignorant about this diagnonsense.

Any easy way to test each plug or wire to see if theyre fucked? As I said, theyre already on their way and will be replaced regardless, but pin pointing a problem would be helpful.

Thanks!

Oh and the mods are at the bottom of TSing post. Not sure why signatures are gone nowadays.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it could also be a fuel problem whether it's a fuel pump or as simple as a filter. How many miles on the filter? Start cheap/simple and work from there.

I don't remember if I've ever changed the filter. Didn't think about that. 160k on the pump.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Time to check fuel pump pressure at the fuel rails, it looks like. Keep us posted.

Thread Information