Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Had gas tank replaced..now car barely starts!

This is a discussion on Had gas tank replaced..now car barely starts! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Right now your pump is able to compensate for the leak down.. But honestly that's not likely to last and ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Right now your pump is able to compensate for the leak down..

But honestly that's not likely to last and you should'nt trust it too.

With a leak down that fast after shut down Ima say it's in your tank or there would be fuel in a puddle on the ground.

Either the pickup hose in the pump assembly or the old pump itself possibly both.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Fantastic, how stupid of me not to buy a new pump first

Thanks for the help guys, all of ya. Looks like I'm screwed and need to get that new fuel pump going.
    I told Meineke to put my old fuel pump in for this new used one I bought (because I know mines still solid), but they said they couldn't do it because the connections didn't match. WTF How the F**k doesn't my OLD STOCK fuel pump NOT match connections??? I don't know, I just don't get it, and I chose not to question it. I guess its my fault there. But it is what it is, and if anything changes I'll let you all know. But til thank, thanks again for all your help.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    wow you guys really know your stuff here.
    Jay, Smittro, before this I had a 2002 V6 camaro. That thing died on me right before I was about to head to work.. I'm just sayin My T/A isn't showing any signs the camaro did when that thing kept on dying on me, but I know that still doesn't mean anything.

Here you have it gents. The pressure just isn't staying in run..

So what exactly does this narrow it down to again? Again, when I start it in this video it seems to start right up..but after It's been sitting awhile it'll sometimes have trouble..

PS I really appreciate all of your help!
    Yup that's exactly a copy of mine when my pick up tube had a hole. You might just need a new tube but since the tank needs to be dropped to fix this you migth as well put a new fuel pump and be done with it. If you pump was brand new then i will suggest to replae the pick up tube only.

Sorry Guerilla but it looks like you need a new fuel pump. If you want to save some money you can always by the racetronix kit. That's about your only option besides buying the new pump assembly. Which ever way you go just make sure it's brand new. keep us posted.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

any updates?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yes sir. Looks like you guys are right, it's time for a new fuel pump

like someone said (I think it was you), when the fuel pump is cold it'll start up fine but when it gets warmer it becomes extremely harder and harder to start. I guess I'll go buy myself a racetronix fuel pump...unless you all want to continue being brilliant with the suggestions and suggest a good brand honestly if not for your help i don't know what I would've done.
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 04-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ideally you'd want to tear it apart and see what's going on before buying anything. If it's the hose you don't necessarily need a new pump......$2 worth of hose will fix it. If it's the regulator then buying a new pump isn't going to do you any good if the regulator is bad. The regulator is a separate part of the module. You really need to figure out what the problem is specifically before buying parts. If you take it somewhere don't let them tell you it's a bad pump until you physically check that hose. Is there no way you can do the repair youself? Should would save you some money. I've heard of places charging anywhere between $700-$1100 to replace the fuel pump (that's including the cost of a pump). Hard to pay that when it might be a $2 hose.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Absolutely man, but here's my problem..

If It is just a bad hose, just replacing it might not be the smartest thing to do... I live in AZ, its already 90 degrees here haha Summers are brutal and I really don't trust this "new" used fuel pump I got. It'll probably go bad QUICKLY if the pump was ran down past a quarter tank of gasoline on the previous owners car.

For the regulator, I don't know what to say about that... It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is, but I still have to pay for the labor to drop it anyway. There are no write ups online and I just don't have the material to do it myself. The guys down at Meineke said they'd cut me a deal on the install since we just did the same thing last week, but I don't disagree with you Orion. It would be nice If I knew how to do it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Absolutely man, but here's my problem..

If It is just a bad hose, just replacing it might not be the smartest thing to do... I live in AZ, its already 90 degrees here haha Summers are brutal and I really don't trust this "new" used fuel pump I got. It'll probably go bad QUICKLY if the pump was ran down past a quarter tank of gasoline on the previous owners car.

For the regulator, I don't know what to say about that... It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is, but I still have to pay for the labor to drop it anyway. There are no write ups online and I just don't have the material to do it myself. The guys down at Meineke said they'd cut me a deal on the install since we just did the same thing last week, but I don't disagree with you Orion. It would be nice If I knew how to do it.
    Is not too hard but you have to know what you are doing. Orion brings a good point it about the regulator. I have to agree with guerilla about getting a new pump. I will suggest a whole pump assembly could cost around $500 plus instalation can run you about $800. You have to drop the rear end enough to get clearance to remove the tank and then remove the pump. Its not hard if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. If you let the shop do it then I guess you will have some warranty if they know what they are doing...

if you could drop the tank yourself with no problem and it was easy i will say just get the hose (if it is bad) and the done with it. At the end is up to you to decide. You can also order the racetronix pump and the regulator as well.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Actually jay I just found a whole Racetronix fuel system online for 200 dollars but I really reallyyy hope the installation isn't that much here otherwise

Do keep in mind that since I had the whole tank and everything, I knew what the outside of it looks like. And the shop did check it and it looked alright; there were no leaks or anything. So it would definitely have to do with something inside of the fuel tank, fuel pump assembly... right? I don't know anything about what the regulator is..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

here's what I'm getting at though......that racetronx kit ( and all other pump kits that I know of) are the pump only. The regulator is a separate part of that module. I know Gmpartsdirect has a part listed as the regulator for $6 but I would want to make sure that's a servicable part. I'm not sure I've never known anyone to swap one on the modules. It's been a long time since I've had mine apart but I thought the top of the that was all molded. Like I say though.....it's been a long time. The best case scenario is it to be that hose and then you can put the racetronix pump in plus replace the hose and be good to go. Ask a lot of questions and request to see parts to make sure you're getting the right shit in there or show up with your own parts. That hose has to be rated SAE 30R10 to go in the tank. If they try to use regular fuel line it'll deteriorate. You could go the racetronix route, show up with your own hose, and if that regulator is servicable show up with that too. That's about the only way you know 100% that you got it without doing it yourself and laying eyes on the parts. Ask to get all the old parts returned to you.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The package I got includes the pump and the wiring harnesses, but I know what you're saying. But If that regulator is just 6$ than I'm actually very happy!! I thought it was going to be another 100 out of my pocket!
    I will ask a lot of questions and try to get my parts back. Meineke is pretty good and they work with me on everything. Worst case scenario if it isn't the pump and it is a hose or regulator i'll trust they'll replace it and do everything right lol I hope!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    here's what I'm getting at though......that racetronx kit ( and all other pump kits that I know of) are the pump only. The regulator is a separate part of that module. I know Gmpartsdirect has a part listed as the regulator for $6 but I would want to make sure that's a servicable part. I'm not sure I've never known anyone to swap one on the modules. It's been a long time since I've had mine apart but I thought the top of the that was all molded. Like I say though.....it's been a long time. The best case scenario is it to be that hose and then you can put the racetronix pump in plus replace the hose and be good to go. Ask a lot of questions and request to see parts to make sure you're getting the right shit in there or show up with your own parts. That hose has to be rated SAE 30R10 to go in the tank. If they try to use regular fuel line it'll deteriorate. You could go the racetronix route, show up with your own hose, and if that regulator is servicable show up with that too. That's about the only way you know 100% that you got it without doing it yourself and laying eyes on the parts. Ask to get all the old parts returned to you.
    I agree here (and the previous) 100%.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information