Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Had gas tank replaced..now car barely starts!

I know this post is awfully similar to cammed goat's, but my story is a little different...

I finally got my gas tank replaced with a used one I bought a little ago. My current one had puncture holes in it from the jackass before me who had a amp system installed. Anyway I got my tank replaced (which came with the fuel pump) and now my car is having trouble catching on. When I turn the key, it cranks real well and tries to catch on, but it takes like 5-6 full seconds before the damn thing actually starts! After I get it to start, I turn it off and when I turn it back on, it starts immediately. it only has trouble starting after awhile of no activity..

Does anybody have any ideas? I don't think its the fuel pump because my idle is pretty smooth..

ps Before the fix, my car started within a second.
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 03-31-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

It still could be the fuel pump. Check the pressure at the rails.

I'd also look for a pinched fuel line.

New fuel filter? The pump could have sucked up some crap from the tank and clogged it after it was installed. At least disconnect it and pour out the gas in the opposite direction it normally flows to see how dirty it is.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Most likely something in the tank (fuel pump, pickup tube could be cracked).
    Fuel filter is easy and cheap so if you haven't replaced it yet i suggest doing so. Who did the tank install?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The used tank i bought came with absolutely everything. Fuel pump, canister, hoses, etc.. the guy said it came off a 01 WS6 i believe.

KMdef, I had a shop do it. Me doing this stuff myself is considered a danger to myself and others

Tatertot, I really hope it's something as simple as that. Meineke did everything, and they said that before they installed it everything worked well and upon visual inspection there was nothing wrong with any of it (the new-used tank setup I mean). I'll give them a call tomorrow if they're open.

I'll buy a new fuel filter too and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

So you got a used tank and used the old pump ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

It sounds to me that you installed a fuel tank combo that was used. It could be the fuel pump or other things. The simplest thing you can do is change the fuel filter which is not a bad idea anyway. It's on the outside by the left side of the car pass the rear left wheel(towards the front of the car).

I almost had a similar situation. I bought a brand new racetronix fuel pump for my 98 TA. After I installed it I noticed the car took a few more seconds to start up. After it started the 1st time, it will start normally until i let the car sit for a while. I hooked my fuel pressure gauge and I noticed the pressure was leaking after the pump primed and after I shut the car off. The problem was there was a pin hole in plastic pick up tube and it caused the pressure to leak. Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. The fuel pressure should be 58-60psi after the car primes and while the car is running.

Here are some videos of the issue that I posted. You will see that after the pump primes or I shut the car off the gauge drops. The pressure should stay and not drop if the fuel system is sealed.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 04-01-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Same here but with the car running.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

This video shows the small pin hole after I pulled the pump out of the fuel tank. The pick up tube is the clear tube. It was brand new. I had to melt the plastic to seal the hole.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thats most likely the issue. Pray its the filter but dont be surprised if you find yourself needing a new pump. I dont know anyone who can say a pump is good just by looking at it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Thats most likely the issue. Pray its the filter but dont be surprised if you find yourself needing a new pump. I dont know anyone who can say a pump is good just by looking at it.
    That is correct. Is such a pain to install a new fuel tank/fuel pump that is almost worth it to get a new fuel pump. It kinda sucks to install everything and a month later the pump fails and the tank needs to be drop again.

Even new stuff fails these days. I was kinda of surprised with racetronix. Their harness had a bad weld spot and my pump will not work. after I trouble shoot I found it was the spot by the ground terminal. I just cut it out and resolder a new one.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 04-01-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Danger 731, yes. Used tank with everything on it included. I wanted the shop to switch the fuel pumps cause i know at least mine is good, but they said they couldn't cause the connectors were different...wtf?

Jay, thank you for your posts! I'm definitely going to replace the fuel filter and pray that it's the only reason why this is happening...I'm incredibly hopeful that it isn't a fuel pump thing. For the pressure gauge, wouldn't that be affected by my puncture tank as well? it still started pretty well with that thing..but Maybe I'm missing something?

tater the guy I bought it from said it was still good, though I know it's stupid to trust the words of a seller.

Here are two reasons why i don't think its the fuel pump or pressure, but please do correct me. You guys are the experts..

1. The tank I had before had puncture holes (including canister), was leaking gas from the top but I still got it started without a problem
    2. One of the tattle tail signs of a bad fuel pump is a bad idle, and mine is still pretty dang smooth just below 1000 rpm

that narrows it down to the fuel filter right?..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The fuel tank is vented so is not sealed. Think of it as a straw when you drink. If there is a hole in the straw the vacuum will leak. It could be a dirty filter. What warranty you have that the shop did replace the pump?
    I will suggest to change the filter because is a step that should be done when you swap a fuel pump in my opinion

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I didn't read all the responses but I can tell you what I think is going on.....I think the hose in the tank has a split in it. That's what it sounds like to me.........either that or the pressure regulator on the pump module. You're losing prime basically. Easy way to check is to get a fuel gauge on the fuel rail. Turn the key to run but don't start the car and watch your pressure......I bet after the pump shuts off your pressure starts falling like a rock.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

When the pump is running it most likely runs fine, like orion said it's most likely a matter of it losing pressure once it shuts off. A friend of mine has the same problem, it runs fine but starting it takes at least two turns of the key. The holes in the tank wouldn't change pressure, the most likely culprit would be a punctured hose/weak pump. And jay i believe my racetronix kit had the same problem, ended up soldering my stock plug back onto it.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

damn damn damn.. I don't like what the outcome may be on this I just spend 400 on installation! I told meineke to look at all the hoses before installation...if they DID do that and that doesn't turn out to be the culprit, than my next two options are bad fuel pump and fuel filter?

I'm calling them tomorrow and making sure they actually DID there job!

I'll buy a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and let you all know what the outcome of both situations turns out to be.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Here's something interesting.. My car has remote start and I decided to test that part of it out.

Normal: when I hit the remote start button, after preparation (car turns on to run for like 4 seconds) the car winds and starts within a second.

now: when I hit the remote start button, after preparation (same thing as above) the car winds for about a full second but the car doesn't turn on. It then stops winding, stays silent for a good 10 seconds, than winds again and starts within a second!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's because the first time it's priming the system. If it turns out to be a crack in that hose or the regulator ( which I'm betting it's one of those) it's really not an install issue. The crack in that hose could easily have not been there until your pump pressuized the system. It may have been but it'd be hard to hang that on the installer. if it's the regulator that's not the installers fault either. Those guys may feel sorry for you or if they're a stand up kinda shop they may pull it and redo it since they installed it the first time but if they did that it would be because they're nice guys doing the right thing and not because they're obligated.
    You're learning an important lesson here. Never put used mechanical parts back on a car unless you absolutely have too.....it's more trouble than it's worth 99% of the time. The right thing there would've been to step up to a racetronix kit. The stock fuel pumps are known to be failure points anyhow.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

is there any possible way it could be something small?? Other than the fuel filter, Some small mistake done somewhere?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

by all means start at that fuel filter since it's cheap and easy. I would then look and see if gas is leaking from anywhere like you have a loose connection or something but it really sounds to me like that hose or regulator. Like someone else and myself said.......put a gauge on it and see if the pressure drops after you prime the system. Another test you can do is to turn the key to run but don't start the car and back to off. Do that a couple of times and then try to start it......I bet it'll fire right up then. That's a sure sign you're losing prime and it's that regulator or hose.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Orion, I installed a new filter earlier today. Few things I figured out..

Replacing the filter DID NOT change anything... F%*$

When I was trying to replace the filter, the rubber hose connecting the gas tank to the filter would not stop flowing. I did everything i was supposed to (I removed the gas cap and relieved pressure with that similar-to-deflating-the-tires technique. The thing next to the intake manifold...I cant remember what it's called). well 15 minutes later the thing was still flowing pretty strong, so I had to jam the new one in quickly to stop the flow. Got gasoline all over my arms. I know, doing that was incredibly stupid and dangerous, but nevertheless I don't know why the flow didn't stop!

and yes, when I put the key on run for a little while, it starts much better than when I immediately start to crank it.

This means i'm f***ed doesn't it

Thread Information