Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Had gas tank replaced..now car barely starts!

This is a discussion on Had gas tank replaced..now car barely starts! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; welcome to the gasoline burn club.....you're number 5,457,892. I've did that exact same thing except to a much worse extent. ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

welcome to the gasoline burn club.....you're number 5,457,892. I've did that exact same thing except to a much worse extent.

Yes....it does sound to me like you're fucked. I've been wrong many many times in the past but what you're describing sounds to me like it's that hose or regulator. The hose is very common and also much cheaper to fix. If you wanted to tackle it on your own it's really not that bad of a job whether you drop the tank or cut an access panel in the hatch area. There are write ups for both ways. I would probably first contact the place that done the original work and just see what they say......maybe you'll get lucky.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

lol it wasn't bad for me, but gasoline dries out your skin FAST!
    We'll see how lucky I am when the lottery numbers are chosen tomorrow

They said they would replace the fuel filter for me tomorrow, but that was before i decided to do it myself. And I looked at the hoses actually while i was down there. There are no visible leaks, no signs of anything bad. Everything looked clean and great. I just don't get it! but i pray your right and it's somewhere in a hose I just didn't see

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

When I did my 01 Camaro pump it was a 3-4 hour job for me never having done it before.

I can remember the pump assembly was like 3-400 bucks and the hose inside looked like a kitchen sink sprayer hose.

I thought to myself "boy I hope you are'nt as flimsy as you look", I did'nt want to have to do it again.lol

Also hated that I had to cut the OEM harness plug and splice in the after market one.

Visions of a huge fire ball going down the road came to mind..

All in all it really was'nt that bad though, just time consuming.

I have not read all the reviews, but I can tell you what I think is happening ..... I think the tube was divided into the tank. That's how it seems to me ......... or that the pressure regulator on the pump module. You lose important principle. An easy way to check for a fuel gauge on the fuel line. Turn the start key, but not the car and watch your pressure ...... I bet you begin after clicking on the filter pump to drop like a rock to stop.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I can't even get the pump out of my old fuel tank, i'm screwed! it took me 4 hours to do my first window motor install, and 2 hours to do the fuel filter today. I'm terrible with speed at this stuff

Smittro so everything is a o k with that new assembly?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Barberiolen, almost everybody mentioned that lol I was at checker too and i forgot to get myself one of those pressure check gauges! But if your all going off past experience, I wont waste my money on checking on this stuff myself. I just need to do some trial and error with repairs I guess, or have meineke do that for me...again.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

For future reference when you are going to swap the fuel filter. Pull the fuel pump fuse or relay out. Crank the car for a for at least 5 seconds(even if it doesnt start), if it starts let it run until it stalls and dies. Basicly you are cutting the power of the fuel pump and all the leftover fuel in the lines is drained when you crank the car. You avoid the over splash by doing this step. When you are done installing it then put the fuse back and you are good to go.

Guerilla it does sounds like your pickup tube is bad or the pump, to make sure you need or the mechanic needs to use a pressure gauge and if it is dropping like in my videos then there is a leak in the pick up tube. I will suggest that you get a new pump and be done with it. It might cost you more but you don't have to worry about it for a while.

Tater, i'm glad someone else had the issue with the harness because racetronix said it was not possible because of the way the weld the connectors, it can't fail. They offer for me to send it back but is my DD so I just fixed it.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    I can't even get the pump out of my old fuel tank, i'm screwed! it took me 4 hours to do my first window motor install, and 2 hours to do the fuel filter today. I'm terrible with speed at this stuff

Smittro so everything is a o k with that new assembly?
    Well it lasted the last 2 years I had her. She's in someone elses driveway now.lol

But yes, after my initial learning curve everything went back together without a hitch and there was no fueling issues afterwards.

The factory pump died ~80k which left my wife stranded in traffic in a bad part of town.

Prior to that it was running normal then all of a sudden....nothing..lol

Which for us was nearly the last staw with it.

I had just dumped a bunch of money into the top end because the intake gaskets desided to crap out, along with a coil pack.
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Jay I did pull the fuse out, but I didn't crank it... I just disconnected the batterie's negative terminal. Smart idea on the cranking that I just didn't do

My car has like 45k miles on it. The guy I bought the tank from took it out at 55k to use in his project el camino but he said it didn't fit. now I always keep my fuel above a quarter tank so I think I'm okay on using the old pump if it isn't that; that and I'm not planning on keeping the car past 60k miles, so dishing out another 300 on a pump doesn't sound so good to me lol.

Smittro rough stuff..sorry to hear. seriously you would think that GM would know about and correct these common issues before even considering discontinuing it.

Do you know where I could find a tank drop write-up?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Jay I did pull the fuse out, but I didn't crank it... I just disconnected the batterie's negative terminal. Smart idea on the cranking that I just didn't do

My car has like 45k miles on it. The guy I bought the tank from took it out at 55k to use in his project el camino but he said it didn't fit. now I always keep my fuel above a quarter tank so I think I'm okay on using the old pump if it isn't that; that and I'm not planning on keeping the car past 60k miles, so dishing out another 300 on a pump doesn't sound so good to me lol.

Smittro rough stuff..sorry to hear. seriously you would think that GM would know about and correct these common issues before even considering discontinuing it.

Do you know where I could find a tank drop write-up?
    I tried searching but came up empty. Maybe one of the others will chime in. I can't seem to find any write up on it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

fbody.com has one in their install guides but it's not a very good one IMO. No pictures and not many details.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for looking guys. There should be a good one somewhere, I'll have to keep on it. I just snooped around a bit on the cranking but not starting.... Pressure or not, do you all think it could be a fuse problem??

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Ps I'll try to get a fuel pressure reader from a friend and try that out
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Guerilla that will be great if you can get the fuel pressure gauge. You can rent it at the auto parts store as well. You need to find out if you have pressure at the rail 1st. It could be electrical, to check that you need a voltmeter and check at the fuel pump electrical plug at top of the fuel pump.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    fbody.com has one in their install guides but it's not a very good one IMO. No pictures and not many details.
    Yeah I saw that one myself, figured it was about useless.

Well least wise not good for anyone new to working under there.

I should have taken pictures when I did mine.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

UPDATE: Before I went to work today, my car started up in about 2 seconds, which is much better than normal. (This is after my cars been sitting in the garage overnight)

After work (5 hour shift), it started up almost immediately!!

I think it's still too soon to consider it fixed, but it sure as hell is looking better!! Any thoughts? I replaced the filter yesterday and although I didn't see results immediately, I think the pressure is coming back..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

UPDATE: Before I went to work today, my car started up in about 2 seconds, which is much better than normal. (This is after my cars been sitting in the garage overnight)

After work (5 hour shift), it started up almost immediately!!

I think it's still too soon to consider it fixed, but it sure as hell is looking better!! Any thoughts? I replaced the filter yesterday and although I didn't see results immediately, I think the pressure is coming back..
    If it was the filter you had seen immediate results. Its sounds like good news but you need to check the pressure like stated before. The bottom of teh fuel pump has a sock that is like and additional filter. If that is clogged it can cause pressure issues too. It could be a weak fuel pump and you will have days it works and days it won't. I still think is the pick up tube but until you read the fuel pressure you won't know for sure. If the pressure is holding then you could have a weak pump or an issue with electrical part. You got to make sure that is fixed. You won't like to be stranded in the wrong place at the wrong time.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    If it was the filter you had seen immediate results. Its sounds like good news but you need to check the pressure like stated before. The bottom of teh fuel pump has a sock that is like and additional filter. If that is clogged it can cause pressure issues too. It could be a weak fuel pump and you will have days it works and days it won't. I still think is the pick up tube but until you read the fuel pressure you won't know for sure. If the pressure is holding then you could have a weak pump or an issue with electrical part. You got to make sure that is fixed. You won't like to be stranded in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Been down the flatbed route myself, and I also agree.

To add, since wheather temps are starting to come up it can/will actually build some pressure giving false hope.

After my 01 was flat bedded home, I went out and tried starting it up. @ which time it fired right up, then as the pump lost its ability to maintain presure again it would just shudder and die.

Have to say you may need to drop the tank again and check lines, if no lines are leaking/damaged externally you'll have to pull the pump assembly.

I would replace it with a new one @ that time..

I would do as Jay states first and check rail presure then go from there first.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

wow you guys really know your stuff here.
    Jay, Smittro, before this I had a 2002 V6 camaro. That thing died on me right before I was about to head to work.. I'm just sayin My T/A isn't showing any signs the camaro did when that thing kept on dying on me, but I know that still doesn't mean anything.

Here you have it gents. The pressure just isn't staying in run..

So what exactly does this narrow it down to again? Again, when I start it in this video it seems to start right up..but after It's been sitting awhile it'll sometimes have trouble..

PS I really appreciate all of your help!
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 04-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

looks like Orion and Jay are right. You need to check the hose that they pointed out for any cracks.

If you can afford it I would setup now to a racetronix fuel pump and save the trouble of doing it again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information