Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Guide to Buying a Fbody

This is a discussion on Guide to Buying a Fbody within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by rbob93 You obviously missed the point he was making which was to look for hidden things that ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    You obviously missed the point he was making which was to look for hidden things that are wrong with the car.

can be used as a tool to knock the price down for a buyer, .
    This.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    You obviously missed the point he was making which was to look for hidden things that are wrong with the car.

I don't think it's stupid to worry about it.
    A broken or damaged tail lamp asssembly is expensive to replace & can be used as a tool to knock the price down for a buyer, or can be an unwelcome expense for a buyer after the sale if undiscovered during negotiation.
    It may also be the aftermath of a rearend collision being hidden from a buyer which could be bad too.
    ^^^^Agreed. Some people install things like taillight covers, seat covers, steering wheel covers, dash pad covers, and bras to hide things.

maroon
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    nice garage, seriously I think Im the one of the few people that would say that.
    That is his living room. Note the pic on wall.

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

Check to make sure you do not have a iron block that says 5.3L. Hard to do unless you have to replace the water pump 2 days after you buy the car. Ask me how i know that ? No it not on my 94 TA it is on my new 2000 TA. that was me

Check if the t-tops leak!!! Run it through a brushless car wash!!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    Yes, very good. Mine lets in a very very small trickle every once in a while. Thank god it doesnt leak, but it can be adjusted usually.

Also,

Check to make sure the coolants did not get mixed. The complete dumbass who I bought my car from obviously did this a few time. It took alot, alot of flushes to get all the gunk out. Basically, take the cap off... and look for a brown frothy paste. It will be obvious. If it has this, that IS a big push for the buyer/ As it will take many flushes to get rid of that nasty problem.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Do the brake lights still work.....yes! I would tell someone to keep walking if they want to bitch about that. I will be putting on covers soon and don't mind if it dents them or not......looks a thousand times better with the covers. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Do the brake lights still work.....yes! I would tell someone to keep walking if they want to bitch about that. I will be putting on covers soon and don't mind if it dents them or not......looks a thousand times better with the covers. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink
    Alright, and now you have one.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 10-02-2009 at 10:34 AM.

NBM
    1998Z28

I always make the car cut circles clockwise with the steering wheel as far clockwise as I can get it a couple of times then the same thing counter clockwise. If there is trouble with the positive drive rearend this usually finds it. Also lets you know if somebodys put a spool in there. Just remember nice and slow. Were not trying to burn donuts. Sometimes if it clicks a bunch it can be fixed by adding the GM antislip oil additive.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    Man oh man I wish I'd checked for that when I bought my Camaro. Cost me $750 to get new weather stripping and felt under the carpet. Just a small drizzle and I had a nice 2 inch puddle in my back seat.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

great info here !!!!

i will add that if you have the chance to get the car up in the air check the seem between the oil pan and transmission to see if you have a seep or leak from there. i have noticed this to be a somewhat common problem

Blog Entries

Black
    2001 Trans Am

I wish i would have saw this thread when i was buying my car. The only thing i got them to come down on price for is the power window.

My taillight is darker on the driver side so maybe i have a water damaged taillight too.

My addition to this thread would be to make sure the key goes in and out of the lock cylinder smoothly. I know it is kind of hard to check, but if it is really hard to put the key in, the lock cylinder is probably on it's way out. Sounds like a common problem with these cars and GM cars in general. I payed about $400 to get this fixed.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you try a little WD-40? Bent key?

What was the problem?

Blog Entries

Black
    2001 Trans Am

What happened was when i went outside to start the car it wouldn't start. I would turn the key and nothing happened. The engine didn't even try to turn over. I went inside and got the spare key and the same thing, nothing. I then decided to wait 10 minutes or so and in the meantime, I went to start our other T/A and noticed the key went in slightly farther and easier than mine did. After 10 minutes I went outside and still nothing. Waited another 20 minutes and the car started. Right then I thought it had something to do with the chip in the key or the security system. The only other thing i checked was the battery. It is 2 years old so i figured it wasn't the cause of the problem.

The next day the same thing happened so once it finally started, i took it to a dealer by my house. I wasn't sure if a regular mechanic would be able to help me or not. Anyway, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong except they said the key is a little hard to get into the lock cylinder. I told them to just replace the lock cylinder and give me new keys.

It has worked perfectly ever since.

I have heard of this happening to GTOs and other GM vehicles.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A VATS bypass would be the answer if that ever happens again. You simply wire a resistor into the harness under your steering column.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    A VATS bypass would be the answer if that ever happens again. You simply wire a resistor into the harness under your steering column.
    this... I've had to do the same but the resistor mod is Way cheaper

Blog Entries

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Thanks for the info! I'll try to remember that.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    I always make the car cut circles clockwise with the steering wheel as far clockwise as I can get it a couple of times then the same thing counter clockwise. If there is trouble with the positive drive rearend this usually finds it. Also lets you know if somebodys put a spool in there. Just remember nice and slow. Were not trying to burn donuts. Sometimes if it clicks a bunch it can be fixed by adding the GM antislip oil additive.
    What sounds do you hear if it has a spool? I noticemine makes a moaning sound when turning sharply or in circles slowly?

Red
    2001 ws6

power steering pump

Quote Originally Posted by 94formulaLT1 View Post
    Check to make sure you do not have a iron block that says 5.3L. Hard to do unless you have to replace the water pump 2 days after you buy the car. Ask me how i know that ? No it not on my 94 TA it is on my new 2000 TA. that was me
    I know this thread is old, but this is the only thing I could find on my question. How can I tell if a trans am has a 5.7L or a 5.3L. I'm looking at busting a 2000 trans am with 164,000 miles on it and I'm trying to make sure everything is correct and working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information