Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Grinding in Rear... Parking Break ??

I have a grinding in the rear and from all information I have came upon it seems to be the parking brake. I am heading on vacation in a few days and its the 1st long trip I have taken my car on. It is a auto so the parking brake isn't all that important to me. Is there a way to disable the parking brake set up on a "00 LS1 ? Should I be concerned with the dragging noise or will it be fine to take on a 250 mile trip ? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Does it make noise when you drop it into drive? Like a thud.

Grinding noise - does it get louder as you drive?

Do you feel it (vibration) in the body? Does it vibrate more to one side the the other.

Have you put it up in the air yet on jack stands/lift?

What I saying is it could be few things besides the E-break. It could be the rear end going bad, U-joints on the drive shaft, pinon bearing, axle hub bearings, hung caliber, etc... Many things as you see that could be the cause.

I would get it up in the air and check everything or have a mechanic look at it if you aren't able to or just don't know how.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

^^what he said.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I definitely wouldn't take the car on a long trip without further diagnosis. Last thing you want to do is be stranded on the side of the road in unfamiliar territory.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

I was able to get it up in the air today on a jack. Didn't have much time to get into it. But I rolled the tire forwards and reverse and I could hear the grinding coming from the drivers side in the wheel area. I pulled on the tire and it didn't have a wobble to it. The noise is when driving down the road it doesnt seem to get louder at any specific speed. But seems like it gets quieter when I apply the brakes to slow down. There is no thud or vibration however I did notice it pulls hard to the right sometimes when I am braking.

If when I get the tires off 2morrow and it happens to be the E brake. What is the best way to disable the E brakes ? Its a automatic and I live in Michigan so not many hills or mountains to worry about having to E brake it when I park it.
    Last edited by CobraKilla; 07-02-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Remove the rotor, and simply remove the parking brake shoe. It should slide up, and off. I'd also at least remove the little piston pieces, as they could fall out and rattle around.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Thanks for the help guys. I removed the E Brake pads and completely disassembled it on the drivers side where I heard the grinding coming from. The E brake pads looked like new..it must of been rubbing on the bottom or something. I took it for a test drive and the annoying sound is gone. However I did notice while the car was in the air in park. I had some pretty good play in the wheel when I would spin it and stop it to go the other direction. Is this called backlash ? If so how much play should there be if any ?

Thread Information