Black
    1998 Trans Am

Question Grinding noise when cold-started..

What's going on everyone, I have a little situation on my hands here.. (Sometimes) when I (cold)-start the TA up, it cranks fine and everything but after about 20-30 seconds of idling a loud grinding/scratching sound starts up. It has done this in the past a couple times, but never as severe and prolonged as this most recent event. The only way I can describe the sound is think of a tin can, i.e. a coffee can.. Now take a coin and scrape around the inside of the can in a circular motion non-stop.. thats the noise I have lol.

My only thoughts on what the problem could be is that it is either a belt or pulley that is going bad.. But before I start pulling the engine bay apart I would like to know what I am going for here.

I will try and get a video up here as soon as possible, I know that always solidify's answers.. But has anyone ever heard of something happening like this? Or know what may be going wrong?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

hugger orange

i'd check the pulleys and also maybe you got something up in your bellhousing bouncing off the flywheel like a small stone

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Okay, I will do that as soon as possible and let you know. Knowing my luck I will pop the hood then crank it up.. and the noise wont show up when I need it to..!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Perhaps the starter is staying engaged causing it to grind the flywheel.

do you have ac thats what my blazer would do when the ac clutch went out

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    +2 The starter drive maybe drifting back out after fire up and bouncing off the flywheel. A weak starter solenoid can cause it. Easiest thing to try would be to pull the spash cover off and look @ the flywheel, and/or reach up with a finger and feel the end of the drive teeth. If it is the starter drive, it will feel like a cheese gratter with metal burs most likely on the teeth ends.

PS. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!! I know you probably know better but thought I'd say it anyway.
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-14-2009 at 03:24 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    do you have ac thats what my blazer would do when the ac clutch went out
    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Two very good examples. First example happened on my bird...

Second example happened on my truck.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

I don't think the starter would be the problem if it happens after 30 seconds. A/C compressor is a possiblity - you can check that by moving it to heat while it's making the noise. Crank pulley, other pulleys, idler pulleys are also a good bet - those you can check by just pulling the belts, they come off easily with just a 15mm wrench on the tensioner.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yo everyone, thanks for staying tuned in! I finally made a video of the problem just now.. This time the noise started as soon as I cranked it over! The video is a little on the dark side because my good cameras battery and charger crapped out, but when the screen gets black and loud.. I'm over the believed to be the problem pulley haha.

Let me know what all your thoughts are on this, and what you think it is.. Solidified with the video now ha. Thanks again for all your contributions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    PS. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!! I know you probably know better but thought I'd say it anyway.
    No more right handed ignitions, thats for sure..

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

well it sounded like it stopped right before the end like it was cycling but like someone said on youtube, take the belt off when it's cold and spin all the pullies untill you hear or fell one that makes the noise. bad water pumps, PS pumps, idel pullies, compressors all can make that type of sound when bearings fail. Process of elimination

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hard to make it out since it's such a high pitch. Like everyone else said check the pulleys and I would also look at your a.i.r. system.....those have been known to make some racket too. The timing of it made me think the air system. Does it ever go away? If not it's most likely not the air system and probably a pulley.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I thought I heard the AC clutch cycle in at 20 seconds. IDK sometimes it sounds like the ac clutch rattling and the next time I listen I think its a hissing sound. Take off the AC belt
    Last edited by Cutlass; 06-17-2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: changed first word from I'm to I

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Like mentioned- it sounds like the bearings are going out but then it sounds like hissing so???

White
    2000 Trans AM

I'd check my oil for metal shaving just to be sure.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Here is another video of the noise being turned on and off via the AC switch inside the car.. When the AC is turned off, the noise starts.. When the AC is turned on, the noise stops completely.. What is disengaging when the AC is turned off and causing the loud hissing sound?

Thanks!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The AC compressor will normally cycle on and off depending on several things like refrigerant pressures and temps. It should run constantly if you set it to MAX AC and high blower speed on a warm or hot day. If it doesn't then its low on refrigerant charge (meaning it has a leak).
    The AC clutch has like springy fingers on it to retract it back away from the AC pulley when the AC is off. Sometimes those springy fingers lose their springiness don't retract all the way so the clutch contantly jingles against the pulley. Two ways to fix it. Either replace the clutch or adjust the clutch gap. Both require special tools and I'm not sure how easy it is to get too on our cars. Mostly like you'll wanna take it to a shop (with AC clutch tools) to have it done.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

A/C compressor clutch - when it's engaged, the pulley and shaft rotate at the same speed so no bearing involved, when it's disengaged the pulley freewheels on the shaft via the bearing - that's your noise.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Mine made the sound constantly. WORSE if it was turned on...

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...=gaylifter.flv

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Beautiful! I'm glad we are honing in on an exact problem.. Nope, I don't have any AC clutch tools so I will talk to a buddy of mine who has a shop with a whole world of gearhead gizmos.. If he doesn't have the right setup, then off to a pro shop we go. I will update this thread with further details and keep you all informed on the recovery.. Thanks just doesn't cut it this time.. Awesome job everyone!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by BLKBRDTA View Post
    Beautiful! I'm glad we are honing in on an exact problem.. Nope, I don't have any AC clutch tools so I will talk to a buddy of mine who has a shop with a whole world of gearhead gizmos.. If he doesn't have the right setup, then off to a pro shop we go. I will update this thread with further details and keep you all informed on the recovery.. Thanks just doesn't cut it this time.. Awesome job everyone!
    http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ViewCart.aspx

best place to buy ac stuff

Thread Information