Thread: Gremlin Starter

Red
    1995 Pontiace Trans Am

Gremlin Starter

Help. I have an issue with my 95 trans am. I have a starter that every once in a while, weekly, will not work. All other electrical is working, lights, windows, radio, etc. but the starter does nothing. It does not even try to work. The "fix" is to disconnect and reconnect the battery, there is a clicking sound in the front of the car on the driver side fender well (relay???) that then usually the car will start just fine. It will continue to work until for no apparent reason, it does it all over again. Sure could use some guidance or suggestions. I am at my wits end. Have a great Memorial Weekend,

Howard

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

It could be a few things. You could a relay that the contacts are dirty, Issues with the starter itself, Ignition switch or wiring. To check if you are having issues with the actual starter you need to have the problem present. I will do the easiest one and that will be to replace the starter relay. Is in the fuse boxes in the engine bay by the driver's side. Here is a sticky I made to troubleshoot your starter issue:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-che...tarter-157780/

Now like I said before you need to have the problem present. I the mean time there is a picture that shows you the location of the starter relay. I will get a new one and monitor the problem.

I recently had issues with one of the relays on my passenger window. it will work and all the sudden stop. I replaced it and no more issues. Relays will still click and checkout good but the internal contacts get dirty/burnt out causing faulty connections.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    It could be a few things. You could a relay that the contacts are dirty, Issues with the starter itself, Ignition switch or wiring. To check if you are having issues with the actual starter you need to have the problem present. I will do the easiest one and that will be to replace the starter relay. Is in the fuse boxes in the engine bay by the driver's side. Here is a sticky I made to troubleshoot your starter issue:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-che...tarter-157780/

Now like I said before you need to have the problem present. I the mean time there is a picture that shows you the location of the starter relay. I will get a new one and monitor the problem.

I recently had issues with one of the relays on my passenger window. it will work and all the sudden stop. I replaced it and no more issues. Relays will still click and checkout good but the internal contacts get dirty/burnt out causing faulty connections.
    This.

Red
    1995 Pontiace Trans Am

I looked at your pics for the fuse boxes, my 95 trans am only has one fuse box and none are labled as starter relays on the cover. I appreciate the help, can the relay be located at a different location?

Howard

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

opps sry I forgot yours is 95. let me look.

Red
    1995 Pontiace Trans Am

Thank you.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

This link is your owners manual:

http://shbox.com/pdf/1995firebird.pdf

Page 300-303 show the fuses/relay boxes. The starter relay is not mentioned in those. The other info i found was under the passenger dash it looks like there is another relay panel but I haven't found any details on what relays are in that one. I will keep looking but hopefully someone with a service manual can tell you the actual location.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Cool

Have someone try to start the vehicle, when the clicking sound starts, take a hammer and from the bottom side of the vehicle start hitting (not walloping ) the starter, if the vehicle then starts while doing this, you have a bad bendix.

The other issue is "you can not use a Gremlin (AMC) starter in a GM vehicle

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 05-28-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Thread Information