Thread: Greasy bubbles

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Greasy bubbles

Ok this might be in the wrong category but? I have a 99 SS camaro the black panel behind the T-TOPS is starting to get ripples in it? There has been little hard bubbles that come through the paint and if it sits in the sun the dam things start bleeding greasy shit? I've asked a couple guys I know that do body work and they say that the panel glues on to the car and they have no idea why or what is happening. At first I thought maybe due to torque issues but hell if it glues on WTF? The car has no other spots like this anywhere on it just on that black pillar. Any feedback or help would be great. I know i'm gonna have to have it painted but dam I don't want it doing it again.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Thanks Man I appreciate it. Probably nothing I can get done about it now but good to know it wasn't just mine and it can be fixed.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ours is doing the same thing. You have to look at it just right to see the bubbles. Freaked me out first time I noticed it.

Black
    1999 Z28, 1979 Vette

I have the exact same thing going on on mine, I believe the actual name of this is called "orange peel" or something like that, either way it sucks.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's a pretty common problem and one you'll probably have to get fixed yourself. Unfortunately, GM hasn't had a good track record of dealing with this defect since it first was reported to them.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Ok I talked to 4 dealerships today and yea ur probably gonna have to get it fixed urself! All four dealers acted retarded about the whole deal? Said it was from where I run it at the track!!! WTF ( it has a nasty cam lope and NX kit on the motor ) so after I showed them the service bulletin they all seemed to get this stupid look on there faces? I do understand my car is 10 years old but hell it looks brand new and I've only put 39k on the odo in 8 years of me owning it( 71k total ). The dam panel is over $700 by itself ? And from what I've read you can't reuse the old one so? What really pisses me off is that they knew they had a problem with this shit and should have done a freakin recall on it? It's shit like this that has put TOYOTA and NISSAN way out in front of all the Fucking so called American Manufacturers!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I believe it was a problem with the paint adheasion, you will probably have to have it sanded, and repainted at you own expense.

SteveC

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Supposedly GM used windshield silicone or adhesive to put that panel on and after its exposed to sun or heat it bleeds through the panel and tries to come through the clearcoat developing the greasy bubbles? From what I can tell thats pretty much it. IDK
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i just know that its from the adhesive they used and it sucks b/c mine wasnt bad but its getting a few more bubbles every year

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any idea if a good sealer will correct this -- or is a re-paint just a temporary cover up?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any idea if a good sealer will correct this -- or is a re-paint just a temporary cover up?
    a repaint is no good because the shit epoxy underneath will still be there. The panel needs to be removed along with the epoxy underneath. New epoxy which doesnt give off the gases has to be applied and a new panel put back on. I do not believe that the panel can be repainted and reused, a whole new panel ust be purchased unfortunately. Ones of these days when mine gets so bad that I cannot stand it I will be fixing mine. Right now I only have a handful of bubbles but it only will get worse.

Thread Information