Red
    1999 Trans Am

Good mods for my TA?

I have a 1999 Trans Am. I currently have LS6 Heads and Cam in my room. I am also planning on ordering a FAST 78MM Intake Manifold and Throttle body. As well as some headers. I already have a CORSA exhaust on the car as well. I was wondering what kind of gains I should see from this. As well if I will need any accessories to install all of this, or if they will just bolt on?
    Thanks

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

With that mild heads/cam set-up, you could probably run a LS6 intake and ported factory TB and only be down a couple HP vs. the FAST and save a couple hundred bucks. Headers are always good and make sure you get the car tuned for best results.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

LS2 timing chain and ported ls6 oil pump should definitely be on your list of things to change out along with hardened pushrods. I personally run an LS6 intake and p&p TB frankly because it saved a few bucks and is a proven performer. You don't list cam specs or if the heads have been worked so I'm assuming stock LS6 heads and cam? I would budget for a tune so you can take advantage of the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    LS2 timing chain and ported ls6 oil pump should definitely be on your list of things to change out along with hardened pushrods. I personally run an LS6 intake and p&p TB frankly because it saved a few bucks and is a proven performer. You don't list cam specs or if the heads have been worked so I'm assuming stock LS6 heads and cam? I would budget for a tune so you can take advantage of the setup.
    Yes deff. need to get a tune with that many mods--you'll be dissappointed with the numbers without one !!!
    You will need a balancer or pulley removal tool-pushrod length checker-torque wrench--if you have a larger than stock cam--you'll need to replace the springs--so-LS valve spring tool--
    thats all I can think of right off---------------

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Its a Stock LS6 Heads and Cam, and how much would I lose by just getting hte LS6 and a ported and polished throttle body? I only live in a small ass area. In order to get it tuned I will need to travel I think. What kind of headers set up would I go with?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Also, I understand it will be cheaper but I dont really wanna cheap out and have to replace it all later for more power.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by R_Yates69@Hotmail.com View Post
    Also, I understand it will be cheaper but I dont really wanna cheap out and have to replace it all later for more power.
    Then don't run the LS6 cam and heads.
    They are really really mild for the LS1 anymore. An LS6 tends to make about 360 RWHP in stock form with those heads/cam.

You can get a cam alone that will make 400 at the wheels with the regular bolt-ons.

All in what you want to spend and do.
    Either way...replace the oil pump and timing chain. LS2 chain and LS6 ported oil pump. Get hardened pushrods as well.

EDIT: Thinking about it. Get a better cam for your needs, and run the LS6 heads. Or better yet...have those heads ported a little.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

well to be honest with ya, I would send the heads off to be ported somewhere and ditch the LS6 cam as it isnt much more aggressive than your current LS1 cam. I would look into getting a TR224 or TSP 228R. also on the ls6 intake and ported TB. I think the amount of Hp loss compared to Fast 78mm would be so minimal you wouldnt even notice it. Dont get me wrong if you are set on having stock LS6 heads and cam then by all means go for it but I personally would want more HP than they have to offer. Especially after putting all that cash and effort towards the swap. just my .02$
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Well I already purchased the Heads and Cam brand new so thats a bummer. haha ..and like I said, i live in a small ass area so is there any suggestions where I could send my heads to have them ported and polished? and around how much would it be. Also where could I find the timing chain and ported oil pump..and what would be a resonable price to pay for those? thanks agian

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Check out some of LS1.com's sponsors.
    I am sure several can port/polish heads.

The LS6 cam will make you some power. But it won't have a lope to it, and won't make the kind of power a 224/224 will make.
    And that is actually a smaller cam these days.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Check out some of LS1.com's sponsors.
    I am sure several can port/polish heads.

The LS6 cam will make you some power. But it won't have a lope to it, and won't make the kind of power a 224/224 will make.
    And that is actually a smaller cam these days.
    +1 I agree........I tend to get most of my stuff from www.texas-speed.com you can find ported LS6 oil pump(around $130) and LS2 timing chain(cant remember how much but not too pricey) there along with a wide variety of cams, I would just call them and talk to them about what to get that would meet your goals. I know they sell ported heads so maybe they can port the ones you already have to flow as much as you want.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Alright, So if I get the FAST intake and throttle body, to go with my heads and cam, What kind of HP do u guys think I will recieve?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

well if you are talking in reference to the FAST 90 setup I would assume it to be around 15-20 more hp than LS6 intake and ported tb. but to get the most out of that intake you would need some excellent flowing heads and a cam in at least the mid 230 range on duration. Otherwise i would suggest just sticking with the LS6 intake. I know you are looking for specific HP numbers but it is hard to say as every car is different and we would need more specifics on the parts you plan on using to say how well they will react with each other. just my .02$

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I think you guys might have me a little wrong, this isn't my race car, its my baby, I just want a bit of extra performance without blowing it up or causing my idle and everything to be out of wack, thats why I went with the stock LS6 heads and CAM, they are Definitally better than the LS1 gear. I just want some bolt ons. Im going to get an SLP LS6 Intake, I have an SLP Lid, and i am going to get some shorty headers because to put the long tubes onyou need to cut them to hell and It won't pass emmissions, therefor I wont get an inspection sticker. lol I dont want to take the drive out of my car, thats my reasoning for these parts.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Thats not true at all about the headers.. Pacesetter makes great longtuber headers.. fit great... don't cost an arm and a leg.. and come in both race form and emmissions form. You will actually LOSE performance if you go less than longtubes.... just FYI
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

98 Formula
    06 duramax

There are a few companies that make emmissions friendly header setups. At the very least I would look at MAC mids. An ideal setup would be LT's with high flow cats. You would be very surprised at how much just adding LT's will wake the car up. Do you have means to get the car tuned? After any cam you'll want a tune to make the car run right. I would strongly recommend doing a ton of research and reading from the people that have been there and done that before you decide one way or the other. It would be a shame to put a bunch of time and money into the car and end up not happy with the results.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Yes I am going to purchase that custom tuner from texas speed. Can anyone tell me or show me a site where I can buy emissions friendly long tube headers? Ones were I wont have to cut the cats.
    Thanks

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Yes I am going to purchase that custom tuner from texas speed. Can anyone tell me or show me a site where I can buy emissions friendly long tube headers? Ones were I wont have to cut the cats.
    Thanks
    texas speed has emission friendly Pacesetter LT's. That is what I am running now. Didnt have to modify (cut) anything. They slid right in.

NBM
    1998Z28

Well here is my 2 cents worth. I have the dynomaxx system. Its all stainless steel 1 7/8 inch primarys 3 inch collectors and they come with a catted y with their high flow cats.You don't need run headers with thoses restrictive stock cats. Unless you plan on buying the 90mm fast intake, the LS6 intake with ported TB would be your best route. I didn't see what kind of tranny you have but if its an A4 a stall convertor will really wake up your ride.

Thread Information