Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Good Boy

This is a discussion on Good Boy within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge How many of you maintain your car? I have people bring me their rides just totally ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    How many of you maintain your car?

I have people bring me their rides just totally trashed. Ask I help them "fix it". They change oil and filter religiously and nothing else.

My question here is simple....
    Do you change Brake Fluid? Coolant? Power Steering Fluid? Rear End Fluid? Trannie Fluid? Clean your Throttle Body? Your Air Filter?
    Do you have your front end aligned annualy? Inspect and clean your brakes/assembly? Change spark plugs every 30K?

Do you open the hood and just inspect everything? Do you keep your engine bay clean?

Do you really maintain your ride?
    this is exactly the reason I quit working on other peoples car on the side. Got tired of all the piles people would bring me. People don't understand that you need brakes before they are completely shot. Not only on maintenance but I found people in general just don't keep their cars clean. The outside may be clean but the rest of it looks like a bum owns it.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I'll admit I need to do the spark plugs, they are getting close to 50k. And the power steering fluid.

Impounded
    1998 Trans Am

I change the oil, trans, and rear axle oils. But the rest of that stuff is just BS or I'll just take a reactivce approach and fix it when it causes problems.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Levi View Post
    I change the oil, trans, and rear axle oils. But the rest of that stuff is just BS or I'll just take a reactivce approach and fix it when it causes problems.

You sound like my brother -- "If it ain't broke... don't fix it!" I just can't be like that on our cars.

i do everything but...

front end aligned annualy

inspect and clean your brakes/assembly...unless i have the wheels off for a reason

and i NEVER clean my air filter, i just buy new ones, i buy the cheapest one they have, i have YET to believe in all that "cleaning/oiling" thing soooo i just rather have a new one

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Levi View Post
    This kind of additude usually results in threads with headings like. "my car is making this odd noise", "I have a SES light, what can be my problem?"

Alot of what folks mentioned here is reutine maintainance..

But to each their own I guess...
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-19-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i do everything but...

front end aligned annualy

inspect and clean your brakes/assembly...unless i have the wheels off for a reason

and i NEVER clean my air filter, i just buy new ones, i buy the cheapest one they have, i have YET to believe in all that "cleaning/oiling" thing soooo i just rather have a new one
    Yeah I do not believe in the oil on my filter thing either. I use dry flow AEM and wash it in a bucket of soapy water. My silicon numbers in my UOA's dropped versus the K&N thing.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Amsoil Ea air filter here with a spare on the shelf. Lucked out and bought it when they were selling 2 for the price of 1.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I change my oil in my Trailblazer every 3to 4k, TA every 3 to 4 months, and 5.0 every 5 or 6 months always use synthetics. Coolant every 2yrs, tranny's 20k, diff. about 30 to 40k depending on which vehicle. Air filters cleaned every 5k in 5.0 and TB and every 1000 miles in the TA, do the MAF's and TB's while I have things apart. Plugs usually every year in my TA and 30k in the 5.0, and 50k in the TB. I believe in trying to keep the fluids clean and usually keeps.everything running good. Hate when people.don't maintain their cars since most are a big investment of time and money to just trash.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Everything gets changed here. sometimes a little past the intervals, but thats a cashflow problem not a lack for wanting to maintain the car.
    I see the sme problems with my friends and relatives. 2 or 3 year old car that runs like its ready to die. Original air filter and filthy maf and throttle body. Spray some cleaner, a little elbow grease with a rag and its new again.
    One of them will spent $200 on a detail job every 3 months but wont have his oil changed but once a year. Pisses me off.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I see intervals such as every 30K, etc...it is always based on mileage.

What if you own a car that is 8-9 years old that only has 2X,XXX miles on it?

I change the oil every 3K, so about once a year. I routinely check the MAF, throttle body, and air filter.

The car stays clean, inside and out.

I've changed the rear end gear oil once since I had the 9" installed last year. I had the transmission built last year as well, but haven't changed the fluid in it yet.

If your car sees 5K miles at most a year, what is the rule of thumb on changing the other fluids you mention? Brake fluid? Power Steering fluid? Coolant?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The GTO only gets around 4K per year. I change the oil every 6 months. Trannie/coolant/rear end/steering and brake fluid every 2 years.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

3-4K per year I can see changing the oil every 6 months or even yearly. But I'm talking about a person who puts about 20K a year on and the other about 45K.
    I changed the oil in the car with 45K miles on oil this summer. It looked like black water and reeked of gasoline. And it had a nice gritty feel to it.
    It also got new plugs, old were oil fouled. Cleaned MAF, TB, air filter replaced. Changed coolant, trans fluid, and power steering. She wouldn't let me touch the brake fluid. He Dad told her that exposing the brake fluid to air will cause the fluid to fail some how.
    I wonder if maybe instead of no manual in the glovebox, they shouldn't have a reminder sticker on the visor in mopars now.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Any fluid in a contained environment will attract moisture....H2O breaks down the lubriucants add packs and renders its ability to clean and lubricate nulland void.
    You hop in, fire her up and drive off and your not lubricating crap.
    Driving her....getting the fluids up to temp.....will burn off the dreaded H2O....and yes brake fluid by its makeup attracts moisture like a son of a gun. Rusting your brakes systems internals all to hell.

On cars like my GTO....about every 3 months I fire her up and drive about 100 miles round trip to Fredricksburg.....eat a breakfast taco and run her back. Get everything up to temp and hold it there will burn off the H20.

Plus I can terrorize Mustangs on I10.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any benefit to using the synthetic brake fluid?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Boiling Point and corrosive inhibitors.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Do not mix the two! Turns to jelly.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Do not mix the two! Turns to jelly.

I just did a full brake system flush on the Monte Carlo and ended up using synthetic fluid. Put just over a large bottle of fluid through it during the flushing process, so should be ok.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good man. I just flushed and filled the Silverado.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

all of the above but the brake fluid and were getting close to the 100,000 mile mark (all by me and my wife).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information