Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Going to buy new rotors, are auto zone's good enough ?

This is a discussion on Going to buy new rotors, are auto zone's good enough ? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by dlbrando beware of the lifetime warrenty on pads. I realize that it says lifetime. But tht is ...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    beware of the lifetime warrenty on pads. I realize that it says lifetime. But tht is usually for breakage not for wear. All of the pads we sell are "lifetime". The only ones we will replace are the Bendix and that is only one time.

had a different car and got lifetime brakes at autozone, one pair wore out they gave me another set free

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

lots of places used to do the lifetime replacement thing, it has been recently that people have been changing that

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

autozone rotors are fine...and like someone else said they're cheap enough to replace instead of turning them.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    had a different car and got lifetime brakes at autozone, one pair wore out they gave me another set free
    They don't do that anymore so far as I know...it was a ridiculous idea in the first place, good way to go bankrupt fast.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

checked again at autozone, they want 21.99 for the front and 61.99 for the rear...........looking elsewhere......time for a new thread on rotors subject

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I would highly reccommend that you buy different brakes than the 21.99 ones. I dont like durlast pads. You can get a good set of ceramics for around 40 or so.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

I bought the Autozone Lifetime Rotors for like $21.95. Like the guys say above... I think they have changed that policy. I'd better find my receipt. Lol.... I have had mine on the car for 6yrs with just a clean up turn and I was drag racing at the track for a while. That really heats them up. No warpage so far.... 35K miles. I think they were the same as the ones they have now for $40 but there is only a two year warantee now.... ;-(

Those warpped rotors are the only thing I replaced just because I didn't like the wobble. Dang glad I did.... much improved over GM's.

I do not see that brand in their online store anymore. All I see with three year is Baer and they are $275.00. Crazy..... Go elsewhere I'd say ... Tirerack for Brembo Disc for $55 or the Cryo one for about $100 a piece. Most likely I'll go with a big brake kit next time.
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 10-28-2007 at 07:42 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    I would highly reccommend that you buy different brakes than the 21.99 ones. I dont like durlast pads. You can get a good set of ceramics for around 40 or so.

I have a set of duralast pads no problems

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

While Duralast pads seem to be a good deal because of their fairly low price, I think they are overpriced based on their weak performance. Their inferior compound yields a bunch of dust... but the bigger problem is glazing. They should name these pads Duraglaze.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I got regular Chinazone Ceramic pads and a set of ebay slotted/drilled rotors, bedded them and torqued the wheels. Over 50k no problems very little to no dust, no cracks etc. And I am extremely hard on brakes on the backroads I live on would warp a set of stockers in a few weeks, Record was 12 days.

I bought auto zone 70 k ago, no problems

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

I used to work at an autozone, I'll have to agree... 4 the most part, most of everything in the place is made in china or somethin' close to it as far as quality goes. I wouldn't bother with their lower priced items myself, especially on a performance oriented vehicle.
    I will say though the ceramic pads I got from them for my '96 cavalier are pretty good.
    I KNOW it's only a cav, but I REALLY do beat the hell out of it (AZ rotors on that too).
    I'm looking for brakes 4 the Camaro and know it's time to treat it right (no more warped rotors!)

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I bought mine off http://www.summitracing.com and like the service and prices!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Onyx Black

Anyone out there have experience with "dimpled" rotors (they do not have actual through holes)?
    Last edited by davebowtie; 10-29-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

I put dimpled/slotted rotors on another car I had (sebring) and they worked great, the stock ones were used off of an eclipse and they were too small. They spit out alot more dust, but they were the free pads on there so probably 2 x a year I swapped them. I tend to drive with one foot jammed on the gas or the brake at any given time. The drilled oned add natural stress points. They use them in race applicatione because they pitch them out every 100 miles or so. With some of those 'free replaced' pads, they use garbage that stops the same, but wears your rotors. China has been known for their lack of tempering materials as well. The rotors are cheaper steel.

"... 4 the most part, most of everything in the place is made in china or somethin' close to it as far as quality goes. I wouldn't bother with their lower priced items myself, especially on a performance oriented vehicle."
    No pun intended?

Onyx Black

Nice! I typed it myself and didn't realize I made a funny!
    I'll probably go with ceramic pads and slots or plain...? (not OEM though)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information