Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GForce Chip

Pewter
    '00 SS

GForce Chip

What's the scoop on this? I have been seeing it on the home page so I decided to read up on it. Anyone have this? If so, how do you like it? If you have any reason to not do this, please explain. Thanks guys and gals!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Personally, I would get a mail order tune from Frost which includes transmission settings as well. I believe he has a swap program where he will send you a PCM to install and then you return yours as a core so that your only down time will be the 10 minutes it takes to change it out.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

^This. Chips and handheld tuners aren't worth spending the money on, as opposed to Frost's service or an actual dyno tune. In fact, I've heard quite a few problems from people using chips/handhelds.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I really do not understand the "mail in tune". Each vehicle has its own little quirks (I know mine did), and to me the only way to get a correct tune is to have your vehicle on the dyno, with the tuner making changes to your computer.

SteveC

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

A mail order tune is usually best for cars with bolt on mods, firming up shift points on A4s, and removing SES lights and recalibrating speedos and tachs. While you may not get the absolute highest hp and torque tune with it, it will be close. I've never heard a bad report from anyone having a mail order tune from Frost. If your car has internal mods like a cam, or heads, ect., then an actual dyno tune is much better. I do know of many who do get a mail order tune after doing internal mods, just to get by until they can get a dyno tune.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

And, as long as you give Frost the correct info on your mods, he'll get it close. He's been doing it for so long, he's got all the info to adjust tunes properly. For the average person, his tunes are affordable, and very satisfying.

Red
    99 SS

Average cost?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

For just bolt ons - $150. For internal mods - $200. Plus shipping. These prices are for you sending him your PCM, and him tuning it and returning it. As Jeff stated, he also offers exchanges, or outright purchases of PCMs that are tuned. Click his banner at the top, and all the info is there.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I had a feeling this would be the responses to my questions. Now a new question. If I got a mail order or the swap pcm tune from frost, is that truly worth it? I mean is there a point to have it tuned now, then again later down the road whrn I do H/C/I? That is gonna be much further down the road for the H/C/I cause I wanna do em all at once. So, is it worth doing a tune now?
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I had a feeling this would be the responses to my questions. Now a new question. If I got a mail order or the swap pcm tune from frost, is that truly worth it? I mean is there a point to have it tuned now, then again later down the road whrn I do H/C/I? That is gonna be much further down the road for the H/C/I cause I wanna do em all at once. So, is it worth doing a tune now?
    what mods have you done so far? is your car A4? I did my frost tune when i put the LS6 intake and deleted my AIR/ EGR stuff. My car is A4. I noticed a BIG difference in acceleration and shift points.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I would say, if you're going to do the h/c/i swap in the next year - wait. Over a year, do it now. As stated, when doing h/c/i swap a dyno tune is the best. Not that Frost can't do it thru a mail order.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A tune by Frost is worth it in my opinion even on a bone stock car. There was a noticeable difference in the way our car drove and shifted. I purchased HP Tuners Pro two years ago and since then Frost has emailed me updates to our tune as more mods were added. I agree, that a dyno tune will best take into account the nuances of your specific car, however, for the cost of a mail order it is very well worth it.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    what mods have you done so far? is your car A4? I did my frost tune when i put the LS6 intake and deleted my AIR/ EGR stuff. My car is A4. I noticed a BIG difference in acceleration and shift points.
    Yes a4. Air/egr is deleted. Headers, smooth bellow, lid. Onpy real mods. Catch can if u wanna count it.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I would say, if you're going to do the h/c/i swap in the next year - wait. Over a year, do it now. As stated, when doing h/c/i swap a dyno tune is the best. Not that Frost can't do it thru a mail order.
    I would honestly say i wont do the h/c/i for at least 2 more years. I gotta move back to houston in 2 yeqrs and gotta save for that before my car. Can only do small stuff for now. To me, a tune is considered small. Just with really nothing big done to it, i am not to sure it is worth it

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    ^This. Chips and handheld tuners aren't worth spending the money on, as opposed to Frost's service or an actual dyno tune. In fact, I've heard quite a few problems from people using chips/handhelds.
    Just curious, what problems have you heard from chips?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I would honestly say i wont do the h/c/i for at least 2 more years. I gotta move back to houston in 2 yeqrs and gotta save for that before my car. Can only do small stuff for now. To me, a tune is considered small. Just with really nothing big done to it, i am not to sure it is worth it
    if you are going to wait that long I will do the mail tune.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I used one of these so called chips in the past but not in my fbody. I used it in a grand marquis 94. It was a small box that had a chip in it. You will hook it up to the IAT sensor. It had 2 settings and it made a difference in acceleration. i opened the box up and found out that it was 2 resistors connected to a 2 way switch.
    these are making true changes to the settings in your PCM, it makes changes to the reading of the IAT sensor and the PCM adjusts to that.

A tune the changed are recorded in the PCM and are permanent(unless you get another tune). There is alot of more variants that can be change in a tune. You can't beat frost mail tune price for all you get. Go to a tune shop and see how much they will charge for a basic tune. Is way more expensive. Frost is been in business for a long time and specializes in GM's. He has a great customer service. i'm happy that i did mine and I have less mods than you. The shifting points by itself is worth it.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Engine running lean - big no-no. Other small quirks, which equal headaches. I've never heard anything good about them, let me say. At least, not from anybody I'd trust.

Pewter
    '00 SS

If they arent that good then maybe they should take the website off of this site. Obviously i dont care if its there or not but for the better interest of people like myself with this same question, maybe it should be removed.

So you say the mail tune is 150. What changes does that make? all I need to tell him is my current mods and he will send me one? I have talked to him only on this website and it was actually about hp tuners. Definetely seems knowledgable and everyone is very happy with what he does. Seems like a good option

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

They also advertised electric superchargers. It's just google ads coming up. None of the sponsers are pushing them. Click on Frost's banner and check out the site - all your questions should be answered there.

Thread Information