Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

General maintenance while at valve covers

In my ongoing effort to learn how to work on cars, I've decided to paint my valve covers while I'm swapping out my plugs & wires. Idea is just to get comfortable around the engine, so painting seems like an easy thing with everything I'll already need to open up.

I'll stock up on the air-tube gaskets and replace those.
    New valve cover gaskets.

Since I need to do a lot of 100k maintenance items, is there anything I should be looking at/replacing while I'm doing this? Tubes, lines, gaskets, etc...

Any warnings anyone may want to give on things I need to be really careful about?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

replace ALL your bushings in your suspention... if you haven't replaced the fuel filter do that as well... clean your maf with maf cleaner...

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Fuel filter is on order (chasing p0171 0174 codes, starting with the simple.)
    MAF is getting cleaned as soon as I get off my arse and put on the SLP lid/CAI (want to fabricate a sliding baffle/closure into the downtube... real CAD design work is taking over for play CAD design work at this time )

I'm really looking for specific things while at the valve covers/plugs & wires for general maint stuff. One step at a time here

2002 Camaro Z28

Use a little antisieze on the plug threads and some di-electric grease inside the boots. And use quality parts. No cheapy stuff.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

2002 Camaro Z28

Take a good look at your rubber lines for deterioration. I had a pcv hose that was about ready to cause problems that I saw while doing my header/tune up install.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardZ View Post
    Take a good look at your rubber lines for deterioration. I had a pcv hose that was about ready to cause problems that I saw while doing my header/tune up install.
    I agree here. Your in the general area of all the vacuum and PCV lines. You could also pull off your intake manifold and really get a good look at all the vacuum hoses and intake manifold seals. Might as well upgrade to the LS6 intake while you have it off too

silver
    2000 formula

LS6 valley cover.....FTW

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    ....Might as well upgrade to the LS6 intake while you have it off too
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    LS6 valley cover.....FTW
    I hate you both.... Mustang beat me the other night on the street, but he did jump the light. Still, the best I could do was hold his lead, never overtook him Now I'm really close to dropping max $ for any more HP.

Along with checking lines and stuff, I was also wondering if there was any benefit to replacing rockers, springs, anything inside the valve cover for HP gains (everything is still stock.) I don't really plan on doing major internal mods (cams, headers, etc...) 'til later (next winter?) and I know that's going to involve new valves then, but seeing as I'd be running about a year on anything I do now, a few hundred for some performance is justified for me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    I hate you both.... Mustang beat me the other night on the street, but he did jump the light. Still, the best I could do was hold his lead, never overtook him Now I'm really close to dropping max $ for any more HP.

Along with checking lines and stuff, I was also wondering if there was any benefit to replacing rockers, springs, anything inside the valve cover for HP gains (everything is still stock.) I don't really plan on doing major internal mods (cams, headers, etc...) 'til later (next winter?) and I know that's going to involve new valves then, but seeing as I'd be running about a year on anything I do now, a few hundred for some performance is justified for me
    well you should really replace your springs anyways..as stock springs suck..and over time get weak..look into the comp 918s(double check the model as i am not 100%) ..the stock rocker arms are really good units so i wouldnt worry too much about them..however if you really want you can upgrade to 1.8 ratio rockers ..but mind you..this will limit your choice of cam later down the road as lift is increased when going from stock 1.7 to 1.8

also i would check your pushrods and make sure none are bend etc etc ..might as well go big

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Don't worry about anything under those valve covers unless you are putting in an aftermarket cam.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Don't worry about anything under those valve covers unless you are putting in an aftermarket cam.
    100k is a good amount..if he is m6 there is a good chance he has a bend in the pushrods...that and it has been shown that our springs are quite weak as is and have issues with having enough to control valve events ..let alone with 100k on them...why not change them now and save yourself a step ?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    100k is a good amount..if he is m6 there is a good chance he has a bend in the pushrods...that and it has been shown that our springs are quite weak as is and have issues with having enough to control valve events ..let alone with 100k on them...why not change them now and save yourself a step ?
    Yes on the m6, I'll check the pushrods. Good idea on just replacing the rods and springs (buying ahead of time,) or should I only change them if needed?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Yes on the m6, I'll check the pushrods. Good idea on just replacing the rods and springs (buying ahead of time,) or should I only change them if needed?
    An good argument can be either way, so its gonna be up to you. Here's both argument sides
    1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Save you money do the entire valve train upgrade when you do a cam
    or
    2. The stock stuff is weak and at your mileage is probably worn out. Upgrading is a good idea.

2002 Camaro Z28

Beat by a mustang? What happened? Anyway, don't you have to change pushrod length when changing to a higher ratio rocker or not? And would that cause tuning issues?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardZ View Post
    Beat by a mustang? What happened?
    Just by the looks of his front end and exhaust tone, it was heavily modded... I never did get to find out how though. A loss is a loss though

That's why I want to tweak out the little stuff this winter, exhaust in the spring, rear end over the summer (or modern clone '70 Chevelle project takes over,) then internals or suspension, haven't decided yet.

I then have every intention of blowing this engine up! I'll do anything to keep pushing more horses in the stable 'til I crack the block and need to take the engine out back and put it out of it's misery with a 12Ga. Take it to the track and drive it like you stole it!

98' trans am

on the pushrod thing...you need the same length ..however when you do a aftermarket cam...they will be different

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm most likely only going to worry about them if we have a problem. I'll pull them when I do the covers and check for straight, but the smart money should go elsewhere.... ls6 intake

I'm going to need a justified HP gain for anything over $200 or so, and from what I can tell, springs and rods are going to run me right around there (~$150)
    Last edited by TokerM; 10-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Thread Information