Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gears, stalls, rear ends

This is a discussion on Gears, stalls, rear ends within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; These are a couple more pictures that were taken back in February. Only thing that has changed since then is ...

Pewter
    '00 SS

These are a couple more pictures that were taken back in February. Only thing that has changed since then is I've cleaned it up under there. Well, not completely cleaned but better than these two pictures. I know the second one is just like the ones from above. Just thought this was a better picture.

http://images3a.snapfish.com/2323232...5%3B2346nu0mrj

Pewter
    '00 SS

What is the bar behind the rear end?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sway bar.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Looks like the previous owner knew what they were doing with the suspension. Even has the TA rear axle cover which keeps pressure on the bearings. A setup which is almost like mine.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The red component you can barely see going back to the driver-side rear tire looks like it may be an aftermarket lower control arm.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    Looks like the previous owner knew what they were doing with the suspension. Even has the TA rear axle cover which keeps pressure on the bearings. A setup which is almost like mine.
    Amazing what you guys can pick out from just looking at pics. Guess that is one of those things that comes with experience. Hell ill probably be that way after my car is the way i want it also.

So with the suspension the way yall see it, what else should i get? Besides a rear end
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sub-frame connectors would be first if you don't have them...then rear end. If you have stock springs/shocks, you could also upgrade those as well if you're looking for better handling.

Pewter
    '00 SS

No clue if i have stock shock/springs at all. One thing i do not want to do is lower my car. I know lots of people do it/recommend it. I just dont want to. I know thats not always about springs. Just letting you know.

Should i get 2 or 3 point sfc's?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

2 point are fine for most people. 3 point are more for the racing crowd, especially auto-x. You'll also have to decide between bolt in or weld in style SFC's.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Can you take a pic or two from underneath and along the sides of the frame? I think you should be sure you don't have SFC's. We can help. If you don't... then yeah, I'd get those. And I would say you are good for the suspension. What else was done to the car? Any engine mods? I'd spend money on going faster since the rear looks pretty set.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Just headers, lid, smooth bellows. Going to pp my tb this weekend. H/c/i is down the road. Gonna get the parts and do one big install/tune. Probably not install u til back in texas where i can have someone i trust do it. Thats another year and a half.

Im pretty sure i dont have them but i can try and take a picture again.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Catch can, and the free mods. Forgot those earlier

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As mentioned, the sub-frame connectors will be on each side of the car. They are located just about where the rocker panel would be, a few inches from the outside of the bottom of each door. They will be either tubular in shape or rectangular in shape.

Here is a pic of where they are located. They are the red bars.

Pewter
    '00 SS

So, someone said earlier that with the suspension work I dont need to put the 12 bolt rear in. My thoughts on that is, if I have the suspension work that I have done plus sfc's and mash it crom a dead stop, will i spin? Asking cause i spin like crazy now. Sure i have 275's for tires which will change after the first of the year, will sfc's help tgat without a bigger rearend?

Pewter
    '00 SS

Thanks for the pic 35th. Im gonna check mine again 2morrow and hopefully get a good enough pic for yall

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

With street tires, you're going to spin. No getting around that. If you want to hook up well, you need a good tire (DR) along with a good suspension set-up. My car dead hooks with a Nitto 555r DR and I am putting down 500 to the wheels.

With traction though comes the risk of destroying your rear end.
    It's on jackstands.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Exactly my point. Why would i even risk that if i can just do it right the first time? What rearend do you have?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Moser 9" with the TrueTrac differential and 31 spline axles. There are a few other manufacturers as well that make aftermarket rear ends for our cars: Dana S60, Strange 12 bolt, and MWC 9".

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Adding aftermarket suspension components such as a torque arm, lower control arms, and lower control arm relocation brackets are indeed helping you with traction. These components are planting the tires firmer against the ground under acceleration. IMO though, a street tire is a street tire. Just wanted to clarify that. Suspension components are indeed making a significant difference in less wheel hop and more traction.

Pewter
    '00 SS

What is a lower control arm relocation bracket?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information