Thread: gear help

Black
    2001 Camaro SS, 6 speed,

gear help

I wanted to see if I can pick your brains a bit. I have a 2001 camaro ss m6 without traction control. I did a gear change for a 3:73 with limited slip. The minute I did the change my abs stopped working. I was told that's because I need to get my ECU reprogrammed. I also went from a torsen differential to an auburn. I have no idea what it is but my breaks don't work right now. My ABS INOP light came on as soon as I did the swap. Would a tune fix this problem?

White
    1998 Trans Am

A cheap hand held programmer would do that for you. If you have a tuner, it would only take him a minute to correct the gear ratio.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS, 6 speed,

Thanks bills98ta, i hope it works.

2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by maksSS View Post
    I wanted to see if I can pick your brains a bit. I have a 2001 camaro ss m6 without traction control. I did a gear change for a 3:73 with limited slip. The minute I did the change my abs stopped working. I was told that's because I need to get my ECU reprogrammed. I also went from a torsen differential to an auburn. I have no idea what it is but my breaks don't work right now. My ABS INOP light came on as soon as I did the swap. Would a tune fix this problem?
    I'd be interested to know what you come up with. Did you change the whole differential carrier? Did the new one have a tone ring for the ABS? Cars without traction control use a speed sensor in the rearend and cars that had trac control use speed sensors mounted near the rear brakes(correct me if I am wrong on this statement) So I think that if you got a carrier for a car that had trac control, that could be the problem. When I changed from 2.73 to 3.73, I never had a problem with the ABS, just the speedo, which is changed with a tune.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

A tune won't fix your ABS problem. It only corrects the speedo. With the ABS INOP light on, your brakes will work like normal non-ABS brakes. You just won't have anti-lock. So if your brakes don't work, then you have more then one problem.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS, 6 speed,

So I finally got it fixed and running. The occurred because I changed my differential from a torsen to auburn and it didn't line up with the sensor on top of the casing. The auburn was a bit shorter and caused my abs to go out. I switched the differential back and it's all good now.. Finally I can drive her!!

Thread Information