Thread: Gauge Problems

99PFLZ28

Gauge Problems

Hello, I am the owner of a 1999 Z28 M6. Recently I have been experiancing consistant guage sweep followed by bog, jerk, and or stalling of the car. This eventually (After about a day of fun trying to get home from work) culminated in the car stalling and now it absolutely refuses to start. I replaced the battery tonight as many threads said this may be the problem, however this did nothing but make everything in the gauge cluster brighter. I will list the symptoms, hopefully you guys can give me an idea as to what it is, Im leaning towards alternator, but I want to see if anyone else has had this happen.

1) Car cranks like it really wants to start but does not fire.
    2) Consistant guage sweep when throttle is depressed more than half way.
    3) Gauge sweep on start up.
    4) When the car will not start, both blinker lights are lit up like christmas, no blinking just solid green light. And if the car is mid gauge sweep from attempted start the gauge needles will freeze where ever they are until I turn it off.

It strange because I would guess that even if it had to much voltage it would still start, but nothing happens when I try.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

First thing I would check are fuses and relays. Is it getting fuel? I know the gauge thing is taking your focus, but I think if you focus on why it is not actually starting you will discover the real problem. Maybe it is just a short on one of the wires going to the air fuel or idle sensor or something like that. Just guessing and trying to help. I may be way off!

black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

You probably have a bad connection at the battery. I had some big time corosion that worked down thru the main hot cable off of the battery. I had to clean it up and replace the connector at the battery. I would notice the gauges spike wildly while starting the engine. This worked for me about three years ago, and I have had no trouble since.

Thread Information