Thread: Gauge cluster.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Gauge cluster.

Does anyone know if removing the guage cluster resets the ecu? I had to replace the SES light for emissions because I failed for a damn light bulb being out and passed everything else. Took the car back a few hours later after I fixed it and it couldn't be tested due to too many not ready codes. So I assume that it some how interupts the power supply but Im not sure. If someone could confirm this that would be great. Oh and one more thing emissons...

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Drive the car 30-60 miles, then try again. A lot of ECM units have a restart period that you have to reach before reading them.

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Inspection states can suck my fat white ass. I run cats with straight pipes. Sounds great.

Black

Yea I know they need a restart period but did removing the guage cluster reset the computer? I passed the test like 4 hours prior to pulling out the cluster (minus failing for the the light being out) I passed everything else. Mind you I have gutted cats for visual pleasure only and no rear 02 that had been tuned out. Im gonna drive it and go back in a week. I was just thinking would it have been possible to somehow reset the ecu by removing the guages? Its all just such a waste of time and money. When I was there I talked to this guy who just got a new engine put in his truck and they put him on the sniffer 2 times because the first time he ran too clean...isnt that the fing point of emission! Sorry for my rant Ive just had with those bastards!

Black

also..can they really tell the light isnt operating via the obd2 port or is it more a visual thing?

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

i doubt it but you never know

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 20WS601 View Post
    also..can they really tell the light isnt operating via the obd2 port or is it more a visual thing?
    When you turn you key to the on position (the turn before you crank the engine over) the SES (or MIL) comes on. When you crank the engine over the light (should) turn off.

Yea I know they need a restart period but did removing the guage cluster reset the computer? I passed the test like 4 hours prior to pulling out the cluster (minus failing for the the light being out) I passed everything else. Mind you I have gutted cats for visual pleasure only and no rear 02 that had been tuned out. Im gonna drive it and go back in a week. I was just thinking would it have been possible to somehow reset the ecu by removing the guages? Its all just such a waste of time and money. When I was there I talked to this guy who just got a new engine put in his truck and they put him on the sniffer 2 times because the first time he ran too clean...isnt that the fing point of emission! Sorry for my rant Ive just had with those bastards!
    It's actually a good thing the inspector caught the light. If your light wasn't working and you threw a code you would never know it. Also, the computer made them retest the engine with low emissions because the state has to make sure that the inspector is actually testing the vehicle, its not the inspectors fault. ALSO, those bastards "you've just had it with" are just doing their jobs. ALSO, they are out to help you and the environment in the long run. ALSO, maybe you shouldn't be a jackass?

EDIT: I'm back because this pissed me off. Did you know a state inspection is SUPPOSED to take 30min to an hour? It is supposed to consist of a through inspection of the ENTIRE vehicle. If the inspector knows what he's doing he can fail 99% of the cars on the road for any little thing. A guy I work with failed a car for a tie rod end, tires, brakes, and power steering because the lady was talking down to him (she called him a grease monkey and laughed it off) when it was all small enough items that he would have passed her for. She called the Department of Public Safety and they sided with the inspector. If you were in my shop you'd be lookin' at quite a repair bill to get your inspection sticker.
    Last edited by Tonik; 01-05-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: edit

Black

thats all fine and good. you reserve the right to do so at your shop. but I guess why Im irritated is because there is no visual inspection here. they dont even look under the car for catalytic converters. What Im trying to say is that if they really did care about the environment they would do all these things 100% all the time. Thats why it seems like a gimmick to me. Also I knew the SES light was out...it had been removed by the previous owner instead of tuning it out and has since been fixed. "Ive had it with those bastards" was in reference to the guy with the truck and new engine and the retarded state I live in because they tested him twice for being "too clean". Back to the original question. Removing the guages from the car. would that reset the computer so that "not ready" status would be read by the obd2 tester? You seem to know everything else so how about the answer to my question?

So are you saying that if that lady didnt call your guy a "greasemonkey" she would have passed? I hope not.. Tie rod ends, brakes, and tires are alot more serious than a light bulb but keep up the good work chief. Anyways I would have rather failed for something else. That light bulb was a pain in the ass! especially when you pass all the other tests fix the problem and get not ready codes. And no Im not "one of those people" like that lady. I worked for firestone and on cars in general for 5 years back when I was in school so I know what your saying. Oh and did you know and its not a state vehicle inspection its just emissions. no sticker. nothing but plug it in and go.
    Last edited by 20WS601; 01-07-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Black
    '99 SS

Removing the guages from the car. would that reset the computer so that "not ready" status would be read by the obd2 tester? You seem to know everything else so how about the answer to my question?
    You only lose the information in the ECU when you lose power. Did you disconnect the battery when you were replacing the bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by 20WS601
    So are you saying that if that lady didnt call your guy a "greasemonkey" she would have passed? I hope not.. Tie rod ends, brakes, and tires are alot more serious than a light bulb but keep up the good work chief.
    Brakes can fail for the slightest noise or the slightest vibration in the pedal, does that mean they are defective and need to be replaced? no.

Tires can be failed for uneven tread wear, even if the tread is above 2/32nds of an inch tread. Does that mean the tire is defective and needs to be replaced? no.

The tie rod end was going above the beyond the call of duty for what is typically a 15-20min inspection. But she was a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by 20WS601
    Oh and did you know and its not a state vehicle inspection its just emissions. no sticker. nothing but plug it in and go.
    And you couldn't pass that? Not impressive.
    Even with Emissions only inspections you still get a sticker... at least in Texas.
    Last edited by Tonik; 01-07-2008 at 07:48 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

wow! dude just asked for some advice about gauges and gets grieved on by some overly sensitive Texan with an authority complex. I love living in California but I lube up my anus and pay the 80.00 for the mandatory test every 2 yrs,(or when I buy a car..or when I sell a car) for a sticker. Fail me for something stupid and a brick would show up in the front office one morning behind the front window.
    I did pull my gauges last year though and it did not throw codes or need rto reset the computer.

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sic2001 View Post
    wow! dude just asked for some advice about gauges and gets grieved on by some overly sensitive Texan with an authority complex. I love living in California but I lube up my anus and pay the 80.00 for the mandatory test every 2 yrs,(or when I buy a car..or when I sell a car) for a sticker. Fail me for something stupid and a brick would show up in the front office one morning behind the front window.
    I did pull my gauges last year though and it did not throw codes or need rto reset the computer.
    Anger Management.
    I wouldn't call a malfunctioning Check Engine light "stupid".
    Try to not get pissed at the guy that is just doing his job.

Black

thanks sic2001 I thought it was just me for a minute. And no i didnt disconnect the battery, just removed the guages and replaced the bulb. which is why im puzzled.

"And you couldn't pass that? Not impressive.
    Even with Emissions only inspections you still get a sticker... at least in Texas"

....In my first post I assume you read. I passed all the other parameters of the test. I essentially failed while the car wasn't running, sounds stupid now right? The car passed while running. No inspections sticker. They give you a paper to keep in you car but no one every really checks up on it. And if you spend over $450 on repairs you get a 2 year waiver. Like I said before its stupid, and they obviously dont care that much if you repeatedly fail spend a few hundred and they let you keep polluting for another 2 years. Im not mad at the people working there, just the BS you have to go through.

Thread Information