black
    1999 Z28

gasoline octane for 99 Z28

Just bought a 99 Z28 with 42,000 miles on it. The previous owner said he used premium gas in the car. I had a 93 Z28 and remember using regular. Any advice on whether regular is OK or premium? One guy told me he mixes half and half. I buy the gas at a place where they do not have plus, only reg and premium. I have no problem buying either grad but wanted some opinions on how the car will perform, mileage etc. Thanks.

White
    1998 Trans Am

92 and up is what it's rated for. Keep the good fuel in it, and you might get better fuel mileage !

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by wkalatschan View Post
    Just bought a 99 Z28 with 42,000 miles on it. The previous owner said he used premium gas in the car. I had a 93 Z28 and remember using regular. Any advice on whether regular is OK or premium? One guy told me he mixes half and half. I buy the gas at a place where they do not have plus, only reg and premium. I have no problem buying either grad but wanted some opinions on how the car will perform, mileage etc. Thanks.
    the Ls1 is supposed to use 91 octane minimum as recommended in the owners manual

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    92 and up is what it's rated for. Keep the good fuel in it, and you might get better fuel mileage !
    maybe ur right about 92. i know its not 93. def 91 or 92.

black
    1999 Z28

premium or regular

OK guys, thanks. The car runs great so I will keep running the premium in it. Just heard differing opinions so though I would check. Have not had a Camaro since 93 so I doubt it is worth experimenting with the different grades of gas. Easier to stick with the recommended octane for as long as I own the car. Its a bit louder than the old LT1 models but just as fast, although I drive like an old lady now.
    Thanks again.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Cool !!! The stock compression is around 10:1 on it.

black
    1999 Z28

I raised my profile a bit with this ride. The old Camaros were fun on a controlled track> We ran Goodyear Eagle RSAs which are not a sticky tire. This one has Kumho tires and a 6 speed. T tops even so its not a track item. I won't be doing any J turns in it like in the old one. Had to disable the ABS for that and its a bit rough on the undercarriage anyway, even with the automatic trans that the 93 had. Just a fun ride to get me to the commuter train every day, and the roar around the exit ramp off the highway right at the car's (driver's) limit. But everyone with a supposed hot ride takes a look when they go by. I like that.

black
    1999 Z28

Whine near rear of car. I notice that my 99 Z28 has a noticeable whine sound almost all the time at any speed. Seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It runs fine, but any ideas what that whining sound is. Might be some sound coming from the tranny.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The torque arm bolts directly to the rear and channels the rear noises up to the transmision mount, I have the X-treme duty torque arm, that bolts into the crossmember and it really amplifies the whine noise... I don't recall ever having a quiet rear in my car... Even my newer moser 12 bolt whines... LOL !!!

Yellow
    2002 Collector's Ed. T/A

Quote Originally Posted by wkalatschan View Post
    Whine near rear of car. I notice that my 99 Z28 has a noticeable whine sound almost all the time at any speed. Seems to be coming from the rear of the car. It runs fine, but any ideas what that whining sound is. Might be some sound coming from the tranny.

What gear ratio is the rear? My '89 Formula always had a steady whine from the rear differential. At 70mph, I had to turn the radio up to hide the noise.

black
    1999 Z28

stock gear ratio

I never asked the guy who I bought the car from about this, but he told me the car was totally stock, so I assume its the standard 6 speed from the factory. I can live with the whine, I guess. Its noticeable sometimes but not all. As long as it purrs along like it does, I am OK with it. I do get tired of every hot Mustang pulling up and wanting to challenge me. I used to race the Z28s but now drive like an old lady so I wave them off most times. Not all though.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Since I installed wheelie wheels & two 15lb NOS bottles in the back window, the mustangs leave me alone...

black
    1999 Z28

nitro

That's great stuff for the Mustangs, and sounds like an intimidating set up. Every now and then I give in and give it a go, especially if the road is curvy, since multi-skills type driving is easy for these Camaros to handle, but difficult for someone not experienced in this type of driving, which is what most of these guys seem to be. ABS took some of the challenge out of the braking part, but still on one occasion I saw, in my rear view mirror, the other guy lose the curve and enter the corn field. No real damage but these Kumho tires are a lot stickier on curves than the Goodyear Eagle RSA's we used to run. Thanks.

Thread Information