Gas Pedal Cable

This is a discussion on Gas Pedal Cable within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So, I am driving home this afternoon, going under a bridge where I can here the mighty LS1 roar (with ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Gas Pedal Cable

So, I am driving home this afternoon, going under a bridge where I can here the mighty LS1 roar (with the LT and ORY and Ravin muffler), floor it for max effect and the shift to 2nd is met with only idle and a gas pedal on the floor. Popped the hood and found the plastic thing that holds the cable in place has broken, I guess I floor it too much Anybody else have this happen on their F-body? Now all you drive-by-wire guys can tell my how superior you are ha ha.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thats a bitch and i have no idea how to fix it

did you just idle home?

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

my gilfriend had a similar experience with her explorer, only there the cable got stuck at 70% throttle.... try parallel parking that way...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Are you talking about the plastic piece inside of the cable bracket? That should be a easy fix....i've never even heard of that happening either.

My truck is drive-by-wire but I wouldn't say it's any better then a cable throttle. With a cable you can rev it from under the hood which is nice...this damn truck I have to have my g/f push the pedal down. There's no motor on the TB that'lll burn out forcing you to buy a whole new TB. The pcm has far less control over the throttle also which is very nice.

But there's also less sensors on drive-by-wire (no IAC or TPS) which is nice as far as troubleshooting goes. Also less parts for the cruise...the TB blade controls the cruise and idle. There's no cable that'll stretch and possibly snap over time...the gas pedal also has a better consistent feel to it IMO since it's not connected to anything but a wiring harness.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 07-11-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah it is the plastic piece in the bracket near the throttle body. I put it back in there, but that is only temporary. I will probably end up getting a new cable.

Yeah, I do like the ability to rev it under the hood when I want to, not when the PCM decides it is ok to do so.

The car still has to have a TPS, so it knows how to move the throttle blade, it is in a different location. The new Mustangs are drive by wire, with a double TPS. One is a negative voltage slope and the other is positive slope, for a back up. Some also use an IAC, which I think is stupid. I saw a Toyota at work this spring, its' drive by wire had a backup which would allow about 25% manual control over the throttle to help in a total failure.

Thread Information