Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Funky exhaust smell

Question for y'all. My exhaust has a faint sort of funky, farty kinda smell. It's worse when I've pushed it hard, i.e. do a real hard run or push through the gears and then pull into the driveway and shut her off.

Is it the cats? Is it normal? Should I be worried? Is it something else?

99PontTA
    high sulfur content in the fuel will do that.....also can ruin parts...where are you buying gas?try buying gas someplace else.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I don't buy it in just one place. But when I do, it's usually a Conoco, which is supposed to be one of the best retail fuels, at least as far as additive quality and content go.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

The smell can be from the Cats, especially if you are running a rich A/F ratio, I know I was from the factory settings, and got a "rotten egg" smell from the exhaust. A good indication of running rich is black carbon in the exhaust tips.

SteveC

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

BOOM! That's it!! How do I fix that!? I have a Corsa catback and every time I wash the car I have to wipe out my tips.

99PontTA
    wrong...rotten egg smell=sulfur in the fuel.....without high sulfur content it don't smell.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

It's not real pungent. And sometimes is weaker than others. If it is running rich, is there anything to do about that?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9
    BOOM! That's it!! How do I fix that!? I have a Corsa catback and every time I wash the car I have to wipe out my tips.
    I had my A/F ratio adjusted during a dyno tune for a torque converter/rearend gear change, my stock A/F settings were WAY rich @ 11.0:1 WOT, my vehicle is stock motor with lid & catback, and my final A/F ratio @ WOT was set to 13.2:1.

From that point on (1 1/2 yrs. ago) both the soot, and the rotten egg smell has gone away.

SteveC

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC
    I had my A/F ratio adjusted during a dyno tune for a torque converter/rearend gear change, my stock A/F settings were WAY rich @ 11.0:1 WOT, my vehicle is stock motor with lid & catback, and my final A/F ratio @ WOT was set to 13.2:1.

From that point on (1 1/2 yrs. ago) both the soot, and the rotten egg smell has gone away.

SteveC
    How much does dyno tuning cost? I haven't done any major mods like a rear end swap, would it be worth it?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

How much does dyno tuning cost? I haven't done any major mods like a rear end swap, would it be worth it?
    Probably not, my dyno tune was $600, however I was experiencing alot of problems after the TC install, idle hunting, shifting in and out of gear, TC lock unlock at freeway speeds.

You can purchase a Hypertech or Crane tuner, also LS1 edit, and HP tuners can do the job, HOWEVER, you have to know what you are doing when you manipulate the VE table.

SteveC

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC
    Probably not, my dyno tune was $600, however I was experiencing alot of problems after the TC install, idle hunting, shifting in and out of gear, TC lock unlock at freeway speeds.

You can purchase a Hypertech or Crane tuner, also LS1 edit, and HP tuners can do the job, HOWEVER, you have to know what you are doing when you manipulate the VE table.

SteveC
    I think I paid $100 less for my dyno tune. In my case, I am positively leaving my car stock, and simply wanted the best performance out of her I could get. I went from 286rwhp to over 311rwhp on a Mustang dyno. Pretty nice power gain with everything stock I think.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Calling all Texas residents! Calling all Texas residents! Does anyone know where to get an F-body properly tuned for a less-than-outrageous price?

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Do y'all think it could maybe be the O2 sensors going gradually bad? That would force the fuel mixture to be too rich.

Red
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

A way i fixed my "smell" from the exhaust was i just took it to a local oil changing shop and they fixed it. Believe it cost me around $70 but they promised me i would see better gas milage as well...So u might wanna check that option out.
    [COLOR=black]I Peddle Posters

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

What did the local oil changing shop do to fix it? And they promised you would see better gas mileage as well? I'd be vary wary of promises, especially from local oil changing shops.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I have the same problem with my exhaust tips. I thought the exhaust funk smell was normal. My car is a v6 too!

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod
    A way i fixed my "smell" from the exhaust was i just took it to a local oil changing shop and they fixed it. Believe it cost me around $70 but they promised me i would see better gas milage as well...So u might wanna check that option out.
    Uh, yeah.... what did they do to fix your car from running rich for only $70?

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Any opinions/ideas on the possibily of the O2 sensor going gradually bad? The rotten egg smell is getting worse but I don't have a check engine light signal. Within two months ago there was very very little or no funk at all.

Red
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Im not really sure exactly what they did to it but they hook at bunch of shit up to it, crunk it up and left it runnin for bout 10 mins or so. While it was sittin there turned on, there was smoke comin from the exhaust tips. It was a local "Grease Monkey" around here. Not sure what they did to it but i truely ran alot better and didnt smell anymore..

99PontTA
    ONEMO TIME......its sulfur in the farkin gasoline...i don't give a flyin fk how much you tune it its still gonna stink unless you buy low sulfur fuel which may NOT be available in your area since KATRINA...GEEZ don't you guys read???

Thread Information