Thread: Fuel pump whine

Red
    2000 ws6

Fuel pump whine

Hi Guys,
    My 2000 WS-6 Firebird with 70,000miles has run like a top up until this morning when I got on it. The engine sputtered and bucked like I had run out of gas. (it had a have a tank) When I pulled into my workplace I could here a high pitched whine from the rear of the car. I assume it is the fuel pump, but would a plugged fuel filter cause the fuel pump to whine, or is it just plain the fuel pump getting ready to sh%$ the bed. I know from experiance that most things don't fix themselves. Any suggestions.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Your on the right track by changing the fuel filter it can't hurt anything.

I took a month long cross country trip in my 98 forumla several years back and I had to put gas in it at some really nasty gas stations sometimes.

On my way home my gas guage stopped working right and my pump started whining. I was flipping out hoping I did not get stranded.

Made it home, changed the fuel filter and 2 tanks of gas from Quick Trip later, the guage works fine and the pump does not whine. Over 200k now still on stock pump

red black
    98Z28

Mine started the whine(sounded like a plane flying over) at 120 k . And that was when I started using the Lucas ucl and it quited it quite a bit at 216k now and am about to swap to the TS-W3 stuff Sarge was talking about. Still gets noisy at 1/4 tank or less but not like it was. And never any pressure problems, still smokin them pony's. Was adding about 5 oz of Lucas every other tankful. I like the idea of 2oz of TS-W3 every 10 gal. Can't hurt and should be as good or better than the Lucas

Black
    1998 z28

If the pump is making a high pitched whine it's over heating .I had the same problem on my 98 shortly after this I installed a new pump.Change the filter and throw a bottle of techtron or lucas in there see what happens .

Red
    2000 ws6

fuel pump whine

Thanks guys, it makes perfect sence. If I read you right, your saying, the back pressure from a dirty fuel filter would cause the pump to get hot and whine. It only does it after a few minutes of driving. It is fine on cold start up's.
    I will also try the Lucas fuel system treatment.

Red
    2000 ws6

thanks!

Hi guys,
    I changed the fuel filter today. The gas out of the filter looked like chocolate milk! There is no more fuel pump whine and the car is running like a top.
    You guys saved me hundreds of dollars. Thanks a ton.

Thread Information