Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Fuel Pump Replacement Question

Hello all, I have a 2000 WS6 Trans Am with auto trans. It has 205,000 miles on it and I'm the original owner. The engine is basically stock and the car is still a daily driver. I had a problem with it over the weekend not running and had to have it towed to a local garage where after investigating, they told me the fuel pump is bad and that it is only getting about 20psi at idle when it should be about 60psi at idle. They told me they could get me a new fuel pump for $540. If I remember correctly, I believe he said the brand was aerotech HO or something like that. I called my cousin who works at a local auto parts store and can usually get me parts at his discount and the best he could do was about $350. The local dealership where I originally purchased the car wants over $700 for a new GM one. I found this original GM pump For $150 at Hawks Third Gen. 99-02 Camaro/Firebird LS1 V8 Fuel Pump w/ Sending Unit New GM - Hawks Third Generation Am I missing something here, how come this pump is so much cheaper than all the other ones, especially since it supposed to be a genuine GM part? I ordered one of these this morning, so I guess I should have asked this sooner but now I'm starting to doubt if I did the right thing because the one from Hawks is so much cheaper. I'm basically just looking for a stock replacement and aren't worried about trying to feed some mega horsepower monster. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

My advise would be to look into the racetronix kit. Comes with a pump and upgraded wiring to supply power to the pump directly from the alternator, really nice kit. I think the full kit sells around 250 and it's a little cheaper if you don't want the harness. It's a nice upgrade that can support fuel for future modification you do in the future.

If you have no plans on any hp upgrades then you would probably be best with the stock replacement unit you listed.
    Last edited by tatertot91; 01-17-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

airtex might be what they said and those pumps are GARBAGE i strongly recommend not getting that it will only last 2 months if your lucky. thats my experience. i have a couple friends that work at various parts stores and they said they have only had a few that are not returned within 6 months. go with racetronix ive heard nothing but good about them

98 Formula
    06 duramax

racetronix....should've checked here first.

Red
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. It seems like the racetronix is the overwhelming favorite here. I have a few questions about this racetronix unit. I don't believe it comes with a new level sending unit/float arm, regulator, pressure sensor like the stock unit does, or does it? Also, is it difficult to hook up the new wire harness that you can get with it? The local shop that its at doesn't specialize in high performance so I hope it's installation wouldn't be something a regular mechanic couldn't handle. I guess my main concern with the GM unit that I already ordered is that Advance Auto Parts sells that same GM oem unit for $430 and I wonder how Hawks can beat their price by almost $300? You know the old saying about if something sounds to good to be true..... I suppose if my fuel pump hasn't shipped already I could probably call first thing in the morning and cancel the order and replace it with the racetronix unit. Thanks again for all the replies!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the racetronix (most likely just like the hawk) is just the pump and not the regulator or sender. Everything is included to swap out the pumps and the instructions are excellent.....my 9 year old could follow those and get it swapped out. The main difference between the racetronix and the hawk most likely is the manufacturer of the pump and with the hawk you probably get a pump with 2 bare wires sticking out and crappy instructions. Racentronix really does have it figured out when it comes to swapping your pump out.

Thread Information