Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fuel Pump Problem!!

This is a discussion on Fuel Pump Problem!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 02ultraZ Replacing the fuel filter won't help the pump since the fuel goes through the pump first. ...

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    Replacing the fuel filter won't help the pump since the fuel goes through the pump first. There is a strainer in the tank that you should replace when you replace your fuel pump. Some fuel pumps warranties will be voided if you don't replace the strainer at the same time.

IMO i would not cut a hole if the floor just to get to the top of the tank. If you do use a sawzall instead of a cutoff wheel because u'll throw sparks all over your interior. And don't cut in the wrong spot either. I dropped the tank in my 97 Z and it took me only a few hours to get it dropped swap the pump and put the tank back in.

I cut an access panel in my Isuzu trooper to get to the pump, it was almost impossible to use the same piece of metal to weld back into place. And when i was welding it back in there was a flash explosion under the truck because of the fuel vapors. Luckily i was in the truck welding but it burnt half of my dogs fur off and he ran away so fast he hit his head on the work bench and knocked himself out. I thought he was dead. Good Luck, don't get stranded that sucks.
    LOL! poor dog haha .. yeah well i'm just hoping i can get some more life outta the pump, it's been acting fine the last few days so hopefully it will stay that way. i'm sure i'll have to replace it eventually .. if it starts whining again i'll look into it.. did the walboro pump fit in without any problems? i was reading all kinds of mods you had to do in order to get them to work properly.. something called the bucket mod?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    LOL! poor dog haha .. yeah well i'm just hoping i can get some more life outta the pump, it's been acting fine the last few days so hopefully it will stay that way. i'm sure i'll have to replace it eventually .. if it starts whining again i'll look into it.. did the walboro pump fit in without any problems? i was reading all kinds of mods you had to do in order to get them to work properly.. something called the bucket mod?
    I don't know anything about a bucket mod,,,,never heard that one,,,,lol. But I have used them in a few cars, they are made for the application to drop right in. Not to mention I like to go with a larger LPH (litre per hour) rating than the factory pump, so there is no question about the pump keeping up when more HP is added later on. I generally go with the Walbro 340.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

hmm, well what i was reading they were saying that the pump will start to whine or burn out if you go below a quarter tank of gas or something like that... it never happened to you before?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    hmm, well what i was reading they were saying that the pump will start to whine or burn out if you go below a quarter tank of gas or something like that... it never happened to you before?
    I have heard of that,,,,but from what I understand that applied to all pumps, stock and aftermarket. Keeping in mind an in-tank pump relies on fuel to keep it cool, and below a 1/4 tank the pump is exposed.

I never let my cars get much below 1/2 tank just for this reason, even when running the stock pumps. And I tend to get very long life from my pumps,,,even the stock ones. Sometimes I run them down to 1/4 tank but I try to avoid that if I can.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok gotcha.. if my fuel pump starts to whine again like it was or go out then i'll look into the walboro then i guess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information