Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Fuel Pump Problem!!

So today I was driving out of a parking lot when the rear end of the car started making an annoying whistling sound.. I didn't realize it was my car until about a mile or two down the road when it started getting louder.. It was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what it was..

So finally when I got home, I got out, and turned off the car and it stopped... So I turned it back on, and after listening for a good 10 minutes, I came to the conclusion that it was the fuel pump.

When I would turn the car to accessory, and the fuel pump started up like it normally does for a second or two, it would make that annoying whining sound again.

So after doing some research, I read that it's the bearings on the fuel pump that is whining, and there's some products you can put in your gas tank to lubricate them and eliminate the problem.. I'm praying that this is true and will fix the whine, because a new fuel pump is $399.

Is that true? And if so, what should I put in? Also is the car safe to drive until I can get what I need to put in tomorrow?

If anybody knows please help me out, it's driving me crazy and I would hate to spend $400 for a new fuel pump if I don't need it thanks in advance

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Well I dont want to tell ya but your fule pump is going out, that lube is prolly a temporary solution but that pump is going to just give up and leave you stranded on the side of the road and then you will have to pay for a tow....Been there done that....Get a new fule pump, and to break even worse news to you the fule pump doent cost that much compaired to the labor of putting it in ! But if you have to try the lube, I have never personally heard of it but ya never know

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah , i was thinking it might just act as a temporary fix but i'm not sure... If i DO have to replace the pump I just found some threads about granatelli/racetronix fuel pumps..

Apparently they're better and they're also $150-$200 cheaper than the stock ones.

I just wanna make sure I DO need a new pump and that the lube won't fix the problem on it's own.

green
    98 formula

the job isn't that bad hopefully you don't have a full tank sometimes they will last a while after the whine its just a gamble do replace it asap I would go with a performance one rather than stock good luck

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    the job isn't that bad hopefully you don't have a full tank sometimes they will last a while after the whine its just a gamble do replace it asap I would go with a performance one rather than stock good luck
    lol thanks for that super long sentence lol jk

yeah i'm just debating between the granatelli which is only like $125 or the racetronix which is around $225 i think, i think they both fit pretty easily right?

The cheapest fix for me in this area is probably the best, seeing as how i'm not doing any kind of FI, and IF i do decide to, it won't be until way down the road

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

FP-60 from lube control works well for me. It's a fuel system cleaner/lube that really quited down my fuel pump. Mine was really loud with the back seat down and now I can't even hear it running.

Black
    00 WS6

If you do have to change the fuel pump, you don't have to drop the tank. You can cut a whole in your back hatch area to get to it. Much cheaper on the labor cost. I had it done this way 4-5 five years ago with 0 problems.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    lol thanks for that super long sentence lol jk

yeah i'm just debating between the granatelli which is only like $125 or the racetronix which is around $225 i think, i think they both fit pretty easily right?

The cheapest fix for me in this area is probably the best, seeing as how i'm not doing any kind of FI, and IF i do decide to, it won't be until way down the road
    yeah yeah yeah I forgot this was grammar.com

I personally wouldn't cut a hole to change it unless maybe a cover was fabbed up and put back over it

you can put fuel additives in your fuel and it will help with lubercation but it will only be a temperary fix

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    yeah yeah yeah I forgot this was grammar.com

I personally wouldn't cut a hole to change it unless maybe a cover was fabbed up and put back over it
    lol i was just messing around w/ ya

yeah well i found the stock pump on ebay for 65$. I am probably gonna go w/ that. I don't think I really need a nice aftermarket one since my car is completely stock now..

Black
    00 WS6

I have a steel cover over the hole that is tack welded in place.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

it's under the carpeting right? not noticeable really?

Black
    00 WS6

Yep, you'll never notice it.....

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

well the last 3 times i drove the car, 2 times last night, and this morning.. the pump didn't make the noise at all! and it's the first time it's not made a noise sense it started making a noise ... ... lol i'm thinking maybe it will stop all together if i replace the fuel filter, maybe there's something clogging it that's making the pump work extra hard or something... i bought a new ac delco filter at advanced and i'm gonna put it in today, maybe the old filter is just extremely dirty.

green
    98 formula

a dirty filter doesn't help but once the pump starts going out its a gamble you know its gonna go just don't know when

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah but it stopped the last 3 times i drove it, i'm gonna change the filter and put in some lucas ucl, i read that will fix the problem also, and see how it goes from there.. if i can get a few more months or more out of this pump without the whine i'll be very happy

Black
    98 Trans Am

You probably heard by now that Marvel Mystery Oil is good too (as per ol' Sarge!).

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah he said that or the lucas ucl too.. i bought the lucas ucl yesterday and put it in, only filled up half a tank so i used half a bottle.. when i refill again i'll put in the rest.. still hasn't made the noise the last 3 days i've been driving.. so i hope it doesn't come back!

I use the lucas fuel additive all the time, not for an ailing pump,,,but it's good practice for the fuel system in general.

I put a little in about every 4th or 5th fill up as regular maintainance on all the fuel injected cars we have. Been using that stuff for a few years with no complaints.

Although I don't think it's a fuel pump cure all. Eventually your pump may bite the dust. I personally would replace it before it leaves you stuck, usually in the most unpleasant situation,,,,lol.

I have always used Walbro pumps with good results.

For a piece of mind I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to see what you have and make sure nothing funny is going on. You can pick them up at any parts store, plugs right into the fuel rail.

What I like to do is run a 4 foot hose and tape it to the windshield and go for a ride and see how it acts under a load,,,gives you alot of good info that way.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Replacing the fuel filter won't help the pump since the fuel goes through the pump first. There is a strainer in the tank that you should replace when you replace your fuel pump. Some fuel pumps warranties will be voided if you don't replace the strainer at the same time.

IMO i would not cut a hole if the floor just to get to the top of the tank. If you do use a sawzall instead of a cutoff wheel because u'll throw sparks all over your interior. And don't cut in the wrong spot either. I dropped the tank in my 97 Z and it took me only a few hours to get it dropped swap the pump and put the tank back in.

I cut an access panel in my Isuzu trooper to get to the pump, it was almost impossible to use the same piece of metal to weld back into place. And when i was welding it back in there was a flash explosion under the truck because of the fuel vapors. Luckily i was in the truck welding but it burnt half of my dogs fur off and he ran away so fast he hit his head on the work bench and knocked himself out. I thought he was dead. Good Luck, don't get stranded that sucks.

Thread Information