Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Fuel Pump Or Pressure Regulator?!

Okay, ive had this problem for awhile now..what happens is i can almost never start the car on the first "turn". i took it to my mechanic and he said my fuel pressure seems to be fine when its running..but it wont hold pressure for long when its off..he said it might be my regulator and pulled out this little thing from the engine bay lol..but he said he didnt have a way to test it..said he didnt think it was my pump since it holds pressure fine when its on..i dont have any funky idle or nothing..oh and when the car starts..i hear a little screech..kinda like if you slide your foot on a smooth tile floor...cars power is fine..no hesitations i think..so idk. opinions?

Thanks in Advance

-Drew
    Last edited by TransAmPhantom; 07-27-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The fuel pump has a check valve on it I believe. This is what closes to get fuel pressure at the rail so when you go to start it, fuel is ready to be delivered instantly and the car starts on the first turn.

If you are reading good fuel pressure and it takes a few turns to start the car, my guess is your check valve is bad. Not really a concern IMO.

It just takes a few turns because the fuel is being delivered all the way from your pump now b/c the valve is not working properly.

This is how the fuel pump on one of my V6 works anyway.

Try turning the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting the car. I bet it starts on the first turn.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Oh it does, what my mechanic told me to do was turn it to on for a few seconds then off then back on for a couple seconds then turn..it does start right away. i was just worried with that screech too lol. im paranoid with this car xD
    1992 Black/Gold Bandit Style Firebird (Retired)
    1998 Blue/Green Formy A4 (Gone)
    2002 Dark Blue Trans Am A4 (Daily Drive)

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

And if i wanted to replace this..how hard would it be? do you know? does it stress the fuel pump more?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My 96 Camaro does the same exact thing as you describe. I just had this EXACT conversation with the guy next door to me who owns his own mechanic business. This is how I know haha.

He told me not to worry about it and that it won't affect the fuel pump at all.

My guess is that you would have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump.

The advice I gave you of what to do to start it on the first turn is what he told me to do it it bothered me.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

it is always suggested that you pull a "diesel " and before starting the car put the car into the acc position..this gets the fuel up there and helps starts. the sound you are hearing might just be a loud fuel pump priming the system

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Okay, ive had this problem for awhile now..what happens is i can almost never start the car on the first "turn". i took it to my mechanic and he said my fuel pressure seems to be fine when its running..but it wont hold pressure for long when its off..he said it might be my regulator and pulled out this little thing from the engine bay lol..but he said he didnt have a way to test it..said he didnt think it was my pump since it holds pressure fine when its on..i dont have any funky idle or nothing..oh and when the car starts..i hear a little screech..kinda like if you slide your foot on a smooth tile floor...cars power is fine..no hesitations i think..so idk. opinions?

Thanks in Advance

-Drew
    The fuel pressure regulator is inside the gas tank not under the hood so either way your gonna be pulling the fuel pump out to fix this problem.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Well he pulled something out of the engine bay and said try replacing that first..it was small...and do you think that this is the problem?

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

IT makes the sound when it starts, not when its in the on position. And i always do that anyway =)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

what he probably pulled from under the hood is the pressure regulator at the fuel rail. totally different part and scenario. I had a similar problem before and cutlass nail it. In my case I had a leak in my fuel tube in the fuel pump.

Thread Information