Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Fuel Pump Issue??

My 2001 Camaro SS, I'm having a slightly harder time now getting my engine to turn over. I think it might be the fuel pump or whatever controls the power to the pump during ignition. I can try to crank the engine cold, the starter cranks the engine for about 5 - 8 seconds before the engine actually turns over. The car used to take less than 2 seconds like a normal car should.

I found that If I turn the key for a second or two, and if the engine doesn't turn over, I can let it sit for about 5 - 10 seconds, crank it again and it will fire right up instantly. I also hear (what I think is) the fuel pump running for 5 seconds or so while I am waiting to crank it the second time before it stops, as if the fuel line is now pressurized with enough fuel in it so the pump stops. Is that how the system is supposed to work?

Why wouldn't the fuel pump kick on as soon as the ignition is turned into the run position? It seems like the pump only is first coming on once i turn the key to the start position to crank it is that normal? Anybody else have a fuel pump or a car do this or does my problem lie elsewhere? My battery is brand new, the starter sounds very strong. I have tried just leaving the key in the run position for about 5 - 10 seconds before first cranking it, but that didn't help. The car runs fine once it is cranked.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds to me like a pump on the way out...... Cycling that key off and on is pressurizing your rail twice which is generally a sign of a bad pump or regulator. I personally would get a fuel pressure gauge and screw it onto the end of the rail to see exactly what the pressure is doing. I bet you're going to find that pressure is never making 58psi on the first turn of the key.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Exactly what mine was doing and the regulator was the problem. It could also be the fuel pump. Since you gotta drop the tank to fix either one you might as well fix both at the same time. The other is probably on its way out too. I got a complete Racetronix kit with hot wire kit that came with everything brand new for what just the pump cost alone from GM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Exactly what mine was doing and the regulator was the problem. It could also be the fuel pump. Since you gotta drop the tank to fix either one you might as well fix both at the same time. The other is probably on its way out too. I got a complete Racetronix kit with hot wire kit that came with everything brand new for what just the pump cost alone from GM.
    Looked up the Racetronix kit, says its for plastic fuel tanks only. I am assuming 2001 camaro is a plastic tank?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

there are 2 kits. one for 98's specific (metal tank) and one for 99-02 (plastic)

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yup get the plastic tank one since you have an 01.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

know that racetronix is pump only....no regulator so you really should trouble shoot it to make sure your regulator is good before ordering a pump. The pump is always a good idea because it's not "if" but "when" the stock pump will die. Just don't want you to put the work in and it end up being the regulator that's bad. How many miles on your fuel filter? It all starts with putting a pressure gauge on it and seeing exactly what that pressure is doing. Is it not making the pressure or is it making it and bleeding it right off? Things you need to know before buying parts.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Racetronix sales a kit with everything new bucket, regulator, filter and all plus hot wire kit. Just gotta pull out the old full pump assembly and drop in the new one. Took me longer to run the hot wire kit and drop the tank then anything else. Got mine through the ws6 store. Figured while I was at it might as well replace everything at once. That way I knew all the wiring and everything was new.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Racetronix sales a kit with everything new bucket, regulator, filter and all plus hot wire kit. Just gotta pull out the old full pump assembly and drop in the new one. Took me longer to run the hot wire kit and drop the tank then anything else. Got mine through the ws6 store. Figured while I was at it might as well replace everything at once. That way I knew all the wiring and everything was new.
    their website says "no longer available".....I wasn't even aware they offered that. So does it have the delphi pump in it or is it the racetronix pump? Site reads like it's a bone stock replacement module which would suck.....why put in something that's known to fail? You can buy the regulator and swap that out yourself and put in the racetonix pump and be better than stock for a lot cheaper than a stock module. PaJeff has the regulator part number needed I believe. Pretty sure it was him that went through this with the regulator recently. Either him or Scott.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

It's on there it's a rpm brand setup that uses a Racetronix fuel pump. Forgot that it wasn't made by Racetronix just used their pump.

It's around 350 for everything with the wiring harness. GM wanted around 500 for a new assembly when I looked last. The pumps you can get for a good bit cheaper by themselves. But if I'm dropping the tank I'm replacing everything.
    Last edited by raynor139; 04-23-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jeff...

I only swapped mine out to support the build. Nothing was wrong with mine.

Jodi had an issue with hers but it wasn't anything to do with the pump/regulator, turn out to be a crimped wire harness.

Thread Information