SKY BLUE
    1988 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

Fuel Pump Help Needed 2nd Gen With Ls1 Swap

Hi. My Buddy Has A 1981 Trans Am With A Ls1 Swapped Into It. He Has Blown 3 Fuel Pumps Over The Past 4 Years, One Lasted 3 Years. The Pump Is A High Pressure After Market That Is Supposed To Be An Intank Unit But He Has Been Running Them Externaly, Never A Problem Except For Those Few That Blew Up. Could It Be The Smaller Stock Carb Lines? Because Its An Out Of Tank? He Is Modifying The Sending Unit To Run It Intank Right Now, Except Just Was Wondering What Other People Have Done If They Have Done This Swap. I Gave Him My Advice That It Might Be The Fuel Line Size And The Pump Cavitated Or Overheated Due To Not Being Efficient To Run. Any Input Apreciated. Thanks.

Sr Member

Black
    2002 SS

My first thought would be the fuel lines. It is causing to much back pressure to the pump causing to much heat and over current.

White
    98 Trans AM

Well first, I would get either an in tank or in line but not try to modify one or the other to do the opposite of what it was intended. The in tank pumps actually use the fuel to help cool them so if he where using an in tank pump outside the tank it probably overheated.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    Well first, I would get either an in tank or in line but not try to modify one or the other to do the opposite of what it was intended. The in tank pumps actually use the fuel to help cool them so if he where using an in tank pump outside the tank it probably overheated.
    Bingo.
    Have him talk to Matt at Harris speedworks ( sponsor) and Matt will hook him up. Very good place to do business.

Thread Information