silver
    95 camaro

Question Fuel Pump Gone???? I Think???

OK so i heres tha deal.car ran out of gas on the way to the gas station,when i came back i put a quarter of a tank of gas in but still nothing.well i had a machanic look at it and he says that it might be that the fuel pump is out it over heated.MY question is do u think thats the case or should i let it sit for a while then try again.im really not to sure.he also thought it might be that the fuel filter is cloged.PLEASE TELL ME WHAT U THINK IT MIGHT BE ANY HELP IS GREATLY WANTED THX

Could be, can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Not nice to the fuel pump to run low/out of gas. Did he put a fuel pressure gauge on it? Not sure on LT1's but LS1's should show 58-60 PSI. Hope it's not the pump, your mechanic sounds like he has the right ideas.

maroonZ
    Does the engine turnover when you turn the key? If the engine isn't turning over at all it wouldn't be the fuel pump.

Get under the car, by the gas tank and listen.

Get someone else to put the key in the ignition and turn it ahead to the power on position. Do not turn it far enough ahead to make the engine crank.

You should be able to hear a whining noise from the fuel pump when the power is turned on.

I have had many fuel injected GM vehicles. On occasion they have run short of gas and I never had any problems with burning up the pumps. I did have a problem with a clogged fuel filter and poor flow due to picking up all the dirt contained within the last bit of gas in the tank.

silver
    95 camaro

well i went ahead and replaced the pump and just like i was told it was the problem when i took out the old pump it looked like shit all banged up and it didnt even have a screen on it what kinda...anyways thanks for all the help

white
    2001 transam

You make replacing the pump sound easy Kaos. The pump was all banged up ?

silver
    95 camaro

REPLACING THE PUMP WASNT EASY FOR ME lol after i took every thing off,down,out,it was like 3 hours later.when i say banged up i mean it was dented on the side it looked like someone played soccer with it then put it in there. it took me about 7 hours to take apart and put back together. it was a sweet sound when it fired right up after i primed it now when i drive it it feels kinda weard lol i think it was cuz i went a WHOLE 5 DAYS WITHOUT IT lol but im gonna make sure never to run it low gain and im starting to replace ever part on ther only cuz i dont know how the previous owner treated her. but to all who helped me THANKS

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I always hit the pumps when I get to a 1/4 tank....yea I know, i'm a little paranoid about the pump

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    I always hit the pumps when I get to a 1/4 tank....yea I know, i'm a little paranoid about the pump
    Me too. I have two friends that messed up their pumps/one fried and one just the sending unit - both went to a local shop for repair and they cut a hole in the rear deck instead of dropping the tank, easier to replace if it ever happens again...don't ever want to have to deal with it.

Thread Information